Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Subaru STI
partwerks
post Aug 27 2022, 02:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,787

Which year of Subaru STI is best to use, along with a transaxle?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 8)
VaccaRabite
post Aug 29 2022, 07:54 AM
Post #2

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

First off, there is no reason to use an STi motor. Most of the improvements to the STi were suspension and bodywork - and even minor mods on a standard WRX would net more power more easily then the STi. (been there, done that). If you are looking for power, both WRX and STi need significant work done.

The previous gen 2.0 twin scroll turbo motors are amazing. I had mine safely tuned with 315 all wheel HP and Torque (which is the limit for not doing internals)
And the older WRX and newer 2.5L STi motors have had decades of experience running every level of tune you can imagine.

For transmissions, you want to follow the lead of whatever kit you are using to convert from AWD to FWD - but usually its the 5MT. I have no idea if the new 6 speed boxes work.

Zach
+Quote Post
tazz9924
post Aug 29 2022, 08:18 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,779
Region Association: None

Sti motor is stronger because it has forged pistons which take boost better. I think up to 400hp, to the wrx’s 320hp. 5mts are pretty similar outside of final drive ratio. 4.11 seemed a bit short on a turbocharged car.
+Quote Post
barnfind9141972
post Aug 29 2022, 09:33 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 24,976
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) if you want big boost or go big in power in general go STI motor, WRX motor will be obviously a lot of fun but more of a bolt on situation without pushing the rods too much
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Aug 30 2022, 01:15 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Aug 29 2022, 07:54 AM) *

First off, there is no reason to use an STi motor. Most of the improvements to the STi were suspension and bodywork - and even minor mods on a standard WRX would net more power more easily then the STi. (been there, done that). If you are looking for power, both WRX and STi need significant work done.

The previous gen 2.0 twin scroll turbo motors are amazing. I had mine safely tuned with 315 all wheel HP and Torque (which is the limit for not doing internals)
And the older WRX and newer 2.5L STi motors have had decades of experience running every level of tune you can imagine.

For transmissions, you want to follow the lead of whatever kit you are using to convert from AWD to FWD - but usually its the 5MT. I have no idea if the new 6 speed boxes work.

Zach

Isn't the STI 6spd a little large for the conversion? That's what's been reported here before but I have no first hand idea. My 5spd fits fairly tight as is...
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Aug 30 2022, 06:08 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Aug 29 2022, 11:15 PM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Aug 29 2022, 07:54 AM) *

Zach

Isn't the STI 6spd a little large for the conversion? That's what's been reported here before but I have no first hand idea. My 5spd fits fairly tight as is...

Sounds like it in post #19
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=351451&hl=
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Aug 30 2022, 11:03 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

Yea, I think you want the WRX 6 speed or Forrester 6 speed BUT NOT the STi, that's my understanding.

+Quote Post
partwerks
post Aug 31 2022, 06:35 PM
Post #8

[quote name='Literati914' date='Aug 30 2022, 09:03 AM' post='3025900']
Yea, I think you want the WRX 6 speed or Forrester 6 speed BUT NOT the STi, that's my understanding.

I read that also, but isn't the road gear a 4.11 in the Forrester?
I wonder how hard, or could a different road gear be put in, like a 3.7 for example?
One favorable thing is already having the linkage on the trans.

Is the shifter backwards orientation, or do they use the MR2 shifter with this setup?
+Quote Post
zipedadoo
post Aug 31 2022, 09:02 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 16,921
Region Association: None

Yeah, use the MR2 shifter or something similar.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 06:46 AM