Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru STI
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
Which year of Subaru STI is best to use, along with a transaxle?
VaccaRabite
First off, there is no reason to use an STi motor. Most of the improvements to the STi were suspension and bodywork - and even minor mods on a standard WRX would net more power more easily then the STi. (been there, done that). If you are looking for power, both WRX and STi need significant work done.

The previous gen 2.0 twin scroll turbo motors are amazing. I had mine safely tuned with 315 all wheel HP and Torque (which is the limit for not doing internals)
And the older WRX and newer 2.5L STi motors have had decades of experience running every level of tune you can imagine.

For transmissions, you want to follow the lead of whatever kit you are using to convert from AWD to FWD - but usually its the 5MT. I have no idea if the new 6 speed boxes work.

Zach
tazz9924
Sti motor is stronger because it has forged pistons which take boost better. I think up to 400hp, to the wrx’s 320hp. 5mts are pretty similar outside of final drive ratio. 4.11 seemed a bit short on a turbocharged car.
barnfind9141972
agree.gif if you want big boost or go big in power in general go STI motor, WRX motor will be obviously a lot of fun but more of a bolt on situation without pushing the rods too much
mgp4591
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Aug 29 2022, 07:54 AM) *

First off, there is no reason to use an STi motor. Most of the improvements to the STi were suspension and bodywork - and even minor mods on a standard WRX would net more power more easily then the STi. (been there, done that). If you are looking for power, both WRX and STi need significant work done.

The previous gen 2.0 twin scroll turbo motors are amazing. I had mine safely tuned with 315 all wheel HP and Torque (which is the limit for not doing internals)
And the older WRX and newer 2.5L STi motors have had decades of experience running every level of tune you can imagine.

For transmissions, you want to follow the lead of whatever kit you are using to convert from AWD to FWD - but usually its the 5MT. I have no idea if the new 6 speed boxes work.

Zach

Isn't the STI 6spd a little large for the conversion? That's what's been reported here before but I have no first hand idea. My 5spd fits fairly tight as is...
partwerks
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Aug 29 2022, 11:15 PM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Aug 29 2022, 07:54 AM) *

Zach

Isn't the STI 6spd a little large for the conversion? That's what's been reported here before but I have no first hand idea. My 5spd fits fairly tight as is...

Sounds like it in post #19
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=351451&hl=
Literati914
Yea, I think you want the WRX 6 speed or Forrester 6 speed BUT NOT the STi, that's my understanding.

partwerks
[quote name='Literati914' date='Aug 30 2022, 09:03 AM' post='3025900']
Yea, I think you want the WRX 6 speed or Forrester 6 speed BUT NOT the STi, that's my understanding.

I read that also, but isn't the road gear a 4.11 in the Forrester?
I wonder how hard, or could a different road gear be put in, like a 3.7 for example?
One favorable thing is already having the linkage on the trans.

Is the shifter backwards orientation, or do they use the MR2 shifter with this setup?
zipedadoo
Yeah, use the MR2 shifter or something similar.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.