Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tacho test for output from Permatune CDI ?, any way to test with multimeter for a pulse ?.
porschetub
post Sep 27 2022, 03:57 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Have issue with 2 tach's not working and after testing all connections @ tach and Tach-adapt I'am left with the black/purple wire from the CDI (3 pin) to test.
My later tach (low voltage ) will cause the Tach-adapt LED to come on with the ignition on and the needle bounces when cranking however with engine running ...nothing.
My early tach (high voltage) isn't working and this is the one I will convert to Ashlock-tech circuit board replacement but need to know the pulse from CDI is working.
TIA,cheers.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Sep 27 2022, 04:01 PM
Post #2

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Most likely the answer is no. Multimeters are good for resistance, DC voltages, and AC sinusoidal voltages but not pulses. You'll need an oscilloscope.

Small oscilloscopes are not out of reason WRT price. Here's one for less than $50:

Oscilloscope for $47

I'm having issues with my 911 and getting ready to test the Permatune CDI with my oscilloscope.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 27 2022, 04:59 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 28 2022, 10:01 AM) *

Most likely the answer is no. Multimeters are good for resistance, DC voltages, and AC sinusoidal voltages but not pulses. You'll need an oscilloscope.

Small oscilloscopes are not out of reason WRT price. Here's one for less than $50:

Oscilloscope for $47

I'm having issues with my 911 and getting ready to test the Permatune CDI with my oscilloscope.

Thanks kinda had a feeling that was the answer from someone of your skills would provide so thanks heaps,will order the upgrade circuit board for the silver dot tach and go from there cheers.
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Sep 27 2022, 07:18 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Agree that a 'scope is best for debug of the CDI tach pulses. An alternate might be:

battery powered scope

a little funky to control, but is battery powered, so one less cable to trail over the car. With the motor idling at 1000rpm, you should see pulses repeating at a 50Hz rate.

- Tony
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:38 PM