Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tacho test for output from Permatune CDI ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschetub
Have issue with 2 tach's not working and after testing all connections @ tach and Tach-adapt I'am left with the black/purple wire from the CDI (3 pin) to test.
My later tach (low voltage ) will cause the Tach-adapt LED to come on with the ignition on and the needle bounces when cranking however with engine running ...nothing.
My early tach (high voltage) isn't working and this is the one I will convert to Ashlock-tech circuit board replacement but need to know the pulse from CDI is working.
TIA,cheers.
Spoke
Most likely the answer is no. Multimeters are good for resistance, DC voltages, and AC sinusoidal voltages but not pulses. You'll need an oscilloscope.

Small oscilloscopes are not out of reason WRT price. Here's one for less than $50:

Oscilloscope for $47

I'm having issues with my 911 and getting ready to test the Permatune CDI with my oscilloscope.
porschetub
QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 28 2022, 10:01 AM) *

Most likely the answer is no. Multimeters are good for resistance, DC voltages, and AC sinusoidal voltages but not pulses. You'll need an oscilloscope.

Small oscilloscopes are not out of reason WRT price. Here's one for less than $50:

Oscilloscope for $47

I'm having issues with my 911 and getting ready to test the Permatune CDI with my oscilloscope.

Thanks kinda had a feeling that was the answer from someone of your skills would provide so thanks heaps,will order the upgrade circuit board for the silver dot tach and go from there cheers.
Retroracer
Agree that a 'scope is best for debug of the CDI tach pulses. An alternate might be:

battery powered scope

a little funky to control, but is battery powered, so one less cable to trail over the car. With the motor idling at 1000rpm, you should see pulses repeating at a 50Hz rate.

- Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.