Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brake Light Switch, Adjustment?
StarBear
post Sep 30 2022, 05:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

Today I noticed that my brake lights don't come on until the pedal is maybe 3/4 depressed, maybe more. It seems from the thread below and comment that maybe I just need to adjust the switch to be activated with less brake pedal travel? The switch is original.
Also, anything else in there I should be replacing so long as I have it opened up?
Maybe even replacing the 50-year old switch?
74 1.8L
Thanks!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=338714

Post #9:
"...The brake switch only makes contact and closes the circuit when it reaches the absolute end of stroke, which is set using the locknut/screw on the switch, I have mine adjusted so that the washer pulls away from the switch arm and actuates the lights just the tiniest bit before I start to feel any resistance from the brake pedal."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Sep 30 2022, 09:56 PM
Post #2

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Look on the brake pedal. You’ll see the switch. Once you find it it will make a lot more sense.
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Oct 1 2022, 08:55 AM
Post #3

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(StarBear @ Sep 30 2022, 04:07 PM) *

Today I noticed that my brake lights don't come on until the pedal is maybe 3/4 depressed, maybe more. It seems from the thread below and comment that maybe I just need to adjust the switch to be activated with less brake pedal travel? The switch is original.
Also, anything else in there I should be replacing so long as I have it opened up?
74 1.8L
Thanks!

Post #9:
"...The brake switch only makes contact and closes the circuit when it reaches the absolute end of stroke, which is set using the locknut/screw on the switch, I have mine adjusted so that the washer pulls away from the switch arm and actuates the lights just the tiniest bit before I start to feel any resistance from the brake pedal."

@StarBear

That is not correct that the switch does not close until the end of the stoke. Adjustment of the switch changes the range of the swing. I adjust them to cl oi se at about 1-1/2" of brake pedal travel.
Adjusting the switch while installed is near impossible. Remove the pedal board and instect the switch. They can break at the tabs. I have onl seen one fail electrically out of all the pedal sets i have restored. The switch has a 7mm jam nut on the adjustme screw. To make the switch close sooner turn the screw inward. Normally about 3-4 threads should show above the jam nut. If you do get a new switch they are way out of adjustment. If you dont have a helper to watch for the brake light activation hook up a volt meter set for resistance accross the terminals of the switch. The switch is closed when resistance is 0.

On a side note it should not take the pedal depressd 3/4 of the way for the brakes to engage. Maybe the venting clearance on the rear calipers is off?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Oct 1 2022, 09:08 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 1 2022, 10:55 AM) *

QUOTE(StarBear @ Sep 30 2022, 04:07 PM) *

74 1.8L
Thanks!

Post #9:

@StarBear

That is not correct that the switch does not close until the end of the stoke. Adjustment of the switch changes the range of the swing. I adjust them to cl oi se at about 1-1/2" of brake pedal travel.
Adjusting the switch while installed is near impossible. Remove the pedal board and instect the switch. They can break at the tabs. I have onl seen one fail electrically out of all the pedal sets i have restored. The switch has a 7mm jam nut on the adjustme screw. To make the switch close sooner turn the screw inward. Normally about 3-4 threads should show above the jam nut. If you do get a new switch they are way out of adjustment. If you dont have a helper to watch for the brake light activation hook up a volt meter set for resistance accross the terminals of the switch. The switch is closed when resistance is 0.

On a side note it should not take the pedal depressd 3/4 of the way for the brakes to engage. Maybe the venting clearance on the rear calipers is off?

Thanks, Bruce! Very helpful.
Fortunately, the brakes engage ok, just not the lights. Will dig in there in a few days once the rain ends, and wait until opening before ordering anything.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Oct 1 2022, 09:47 AM
Post #5

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Thanks for that tip; I just did the adjustment.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:45 AM