Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stock tire, Manufacturer?
wonkipop
post Oct 18 2022, 09:47 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(friethmiller @ Oct 18 2022, 09:16 AM) *

Has anybody tried the Michelin XAS | 165VR15 tires? Cheaper than the XWXs but still expensive... because Michelin makes them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Update: Just saw the post from above. Interesting. Might be a good option for an original sized tire.

the XAS are really good. see my post.

as someone has noted above with the Veredestien - even they have upped their game.
the compounds are very soft. these are not the XAS of the 1960s/70s.
oh no. way better.

however be wary of rain. the tread patterns are not as sorted in the sense of pumping out rainwater from the tyre in aquaplane conditions. irrelevant to me. i don't drive the 914 in rain conditions these days. mainly because of risk from other drivers.

edit. ps.
i had those 195 comp TAs on my car back in the late 90s before i laid it up.
back then you could not get the re-issue tyres in correct dimensions for the car so i had to run the TAs. i hated them. very pleased to be rid of those. never a good memory on the little 1.8. just plain over-tyred for what it was and ruined the ride and steering feel.
very relieved that there are all these re-issues around. with $ cost to suit every budget.
the long nose 911 guys down here are all running the 185 pirellis now. can't remember off the top of my head what the are called. the CN whatever. they have the dog bone tread pattern like the original dunlops. you can't buy a set of those for love or money. thats how i managed to pick up a set of XAS. suddenly the 911 guys were off them and on to the next thing. handy for me.
all these tyres should be a lot cheaper in the USA than the cost we have to pay down here. but its still worth it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post Oct 19 2022, 05:22 AM
Post #22

Geezer914

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,179
Region Association: North East States

Firestone Firehawk As high performance all season 195/65/15. Looks like they are discontinuing the size. Tire rack has them on close out. I bought a set of 195/60/15 last year and no longer see that size listed.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:25 PM