Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shipping Wheels, Economically and safely
914bub
post Oct 23 2022, 02:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,260
Region Association: None

I see a lot of threads about people asking how to ship wheels. I figured I'd throw this out there for anyone who's interested. A lot of people ship a set of wheels,(4 of them) in two boxes, two wheels per box.

This is the method I've used shipping over 20 sets of wheels, over a 20 year period. I've never had any damaged and this method will save money shipping. This works for up to 5 14 or 15 inch wheels. If you have larger wheels it would probably work for up to four wheels if you source larger boxes.

I use 2, 16" (medium) moving boxes from home Depot, U-Haul etc. First tape one end of each box closed. Next put a wheel in the bottom of one box. Pack newspaper etc around the wheel to keep it from moving side to side in the box. Next cut a piece of cardboard,(I use scrap boxes) to roughly 16x16".Lay the cardboard square on top of the wheel,add another wheel pack newspaper again and repeat. Once all 4 or 5 wheels are packed and stacked take the second box and slide it open end down over the first box and go town with the tape gun in every direction.

There's a substantial price savings shipping one box instead of two even though the box will be heavy. I've never run over the Fed-Ex or UPS weight limit of 70 pounds and saved a lot for my customers. Never a damaged wheel either. Another plus is that ALL the wheels arrive. Nothing more frustrating than a shipper loosing 1 of 2 boxes. Hope this helps.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 23 2022, 03:38 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I do pretty much the same thing but use the heavy duty med box. Worth spending the extra $2
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Oct 23 2022, 10:59 PM
Post #3

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

I do a similar oacking but get wheel boxes for free from tire stores that throw them away. They often have plastic rings that fit the edge and separate the wheels.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Oct 23 2022, 11:14 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276
Region Association: None

I ship a lot of wheels and do either 2 or 3 per box, 16X16X16. I tape up all edges and then run tape bands around all sides. Rarely if ever lose a wheel.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 01:34 PM