Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping Wheels, Economically and safely
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914bub
I see a lot of threads about people asking how to ship wheels. I figured I'd throw this out there for anyone who's interested. A lot of people ship a set of wheels,(4 of them) in two boxes, two wheels per box.

This is the method I've used shipping over 20 sets of wheels, over a 20 year period. I've never had any damaged and this method will save money shipping. This works for up to 5 14 or 15 inch wheels. If you have larger wheels it would probably work for up to four wheels if you source larger boxes.

I use 2, 16" (medium) moving boxes from home Depot, U-Haul etc. First tape one end of each box closed. Next put a wheel in the bottom of one box. Pack newspaper etc around the wheel to keep it from moving side to side in the box. Next cut a piece of cardboard,(I use scrap boxes) to roughly 16x16".Lay the cardboard square on top of the wheel,add another wheel pack newspaper again and repeat. Once all 4 or 5 wheels are packed and stacked take the second box and slide it open end down over the first box and go town with the tape gun in every direction.

There's a substantial price savings shipping one box instead of two even though the box will be heavy. I've never run over the Fed-Ex or UPS weight limit of 70 pounds and saved a lot for my customers. Never a damaged wheel either. Another plus is that ALL the wheels arrive. Nothing more frustrating than a shipper loosing 1 of 2 boxes. Hope this helps.
mepstein
I do pretty much the same thing but use the heavy duty med box. Worth spending the extra $2
bdstone914
I do a similar oacking but get wheel boxes for free from tire stores that throw them away. They often have plastic rings that fit the edge and separate the wheels.
Unobtanium-inc
I ship a lot of wheels and do either 2 or 3 per box, 16X16X16. I tape up all edges and then run tape bands around all sides. Rarely if ever lose a wheel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.