Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Put a 2.7 6 into a 72 Bay Window Bus?, Porsche content. Don't judge me!
VaccaRabite
post Mar 16 2023, 05:43 AM
Post #41

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

@erwan914

WE NEED TO TALK!

Looks like yours is about a year ahead of mine in the process (at least it was in those pics).

What did you do for tins? Did you have issues with engine height? My plan for using the stock CIS may be complicated by not having a high enough engine bay. Bus trans or 915?

Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
erwan914
post Mar 16 2023, 06:43 AM
Post #42

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,834
Region Association: None

yes

gearbox 915 LSD

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Mar 16 2023, 09:50 AM
Post #43

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Nov 7 2022, 09:32 AM) *

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Nov 4 2022, 08:35 AM) *

I have no advice, other than it will be super cool when finished.

You'll need an oil tank and cooler, but if you make your own lines it shouldn't be terrible.

If you want another option, check with NoRustScott about his Subi-van....it's silly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I'm an advocate of putting Subi's into busses. Have been for years.
But I want this bus to stay aircooled.

Zach

I was going to ask what year the Westy was.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

If it's aircooled, leave it that way.

I say go for it. There should be plenty of resources, a fun project and will produce a unique Westy when done.

Then you can sell it to me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
RARE 6
post Mar 16 2023, 10:10 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 18,337
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I have memories of the late Bill Randle, ex Porsche racer and Denver shop owner, flat towing his 356 to the Fiesta del Porsche in Santa Fe behind his Westy with a 6-cylinder conversion. Sometime in the 1980s. Keeping up with the traffic on I-25 south of Pueblo.
+Quote Post
914Toy
post Mar 16 2023, 10:14 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 21,596
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(RARE 6 @ Mar 16 2023, 08:10 AM) *

I have memories of the late Bill Randle, ex Porsche racer and Denver shop owner, flat towing his 356 to the Fiesta del Porsche in Santa Fe behind his Westy with a 6-cylinder conversion. Sometime in the 1980s. Keeping up with the traffic on I-25 south of Pueblo.

Lived in Denver at the time, and remember his Westy 6, and used his shop as my service/repair shop. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Mar 16 2023, 11:19 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 10,509
Region Association: North East States

There was a guy at the shop i hung out at that had a bus with a 2.7 in it..
Was his daily driver.
Another guy put an early 2.0, 911 engine in the back of a bug..
Used the bug 4 speed too..
But the craziest one was an early Corvair that had a 327 hanging out the back.
As i remember, he had to have the 327 turn backwards so he put a boat cam in it..
Damn thing did great wheel stands..
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 16 2023, 12:09 PM
Post #47

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Mar 16 2023, 12:19 PM) *

As i remember, he had to have the 327 turn backwards so he put a boat cam in it..

Had a friend in High School that had a Corvair with a 350 Chevy in it. It was mid engined. If you combine the Corvair 4 speed with a saginaw 4 speed you can put together a mid engine trans. The only fab was to make engine and trans mounts for the chassis.

The engine was hidden behind a fake rear seat and the radiator was in the old engine compartment. It was an incredible sleeper.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
fixer34
post Mar 16 2023, 01:10 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 17,908
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 16 2023, 12:09 PM) *

Had a friend in High School that had a Corvair with a 350 Chevy in it. It was mid engined. If you combine the Corvair 4 speed with a saginaw 4 speed you can put together a mid engine trans. The only fab was to make engine and trans mounts for the chassis.

The engine was hidden behind a fake rear seat and the radiator was in the old engine compartment. It was an incredible sleeper.

Clay, by any weird chance would that have been in the Dallas area in the late 70's? Your friend an instructor at the IBM training center on Stemmons? Corvair was black?
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Mar 16 2023, 01:23 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 10,509
Region Association: North East States

There were a couple of companies that had kits to put a V8 in the back seat
area of later Corvairs. You could buy the entire kit or any parts you wanted.
The weak link was the input shaft that was specially made to enter the transmission from the wrong end. The transaxle was mounted in the stock position and turned backwards.
people usually had trouble getting the run out of the input shaft low enough that it wouldn't self destruct in time. Also the reason Posi Corvair transaxles were in such high demand.
There was also a GM Engineer that made a kit to put an entire Toronado drivetrain mid engine in a corvair. That kit allowed the use of the rear seats too.
It was pretty bullet proof because the engine transmission were built to work together.
It was an automatic though..

The guy I knew had an early Corvair... 1963 and he hung the engine out the back after figuring out a bell housing and turning the engine backwards. It handled terribly and was a handful to drive.. But it did stand up easy..
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Mar 16 2023, 03:49 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707

I have a 91 Westy with a Suby 2.5. The power is great but not too much. Gearing is great in the city but I need a higher gear, 4K at 70mph. This is a water cooled bus. A suby is not a great fit for the older bus. I think this would make a great conversion. With the lower HP motor, these vans had trouble getting out of their own way. Maybe the 6 is overkill but I am sure you will love it. I hope you keep posting your conversion process here!
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 16 2023, 05:44 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Mar 17 2023, 10:49 AM) *

I have a 91 Westy with a Suby 2.5. The power is great but not too much. Gearing is great in the city but I need a higher gear, 4K at 70mph. This is a water cooled bus. A suby is not a great fit for the older bus. I think this would make a great conversion. With the lower HP motor, these vans had trouble getting out of their own way. Maybe the 6 is overkill but I am sure you will love it. I hope you keep posting your conversion process here!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) one thing I think about is gearing of what ever porsche trans used due to the weight difference ,wonder if porsche addressed that in any way ?.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 17 2023, 06:57 AM
Post #52

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Mar 16 2023, 02:10 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 16 2023, 12:09 PM) *

Clay, by any weird chance would that have been in the Dallas area in the late 70's? Your friend an instructor at the IBM training center on Stemmons? Corvair was black?

Around 1981/82 in the DFW area. The guy was my age, and yes it was black. I don't know what his father did for a living, so it could be the same car.

+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 17 2023, 07:24 AM
Post #53

En Garde!

QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 16 2023, 07:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Mar 17 2023, 10:49 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) one thing I think about is gearing of what ever porsche trans used due to the weight difference ,wonder if porsche addressed that in any way ?.

Yes, the plan is to document everything here. The bus transmission is geared a bit lower to make the smaller T4 engine viable, which means its winding out the /6. I may need or want to slightly re-gear the 915 - something I want to talk to Mike about when I get closer to that stage of the build. Probably gearing in-between the Bus box and the stock gearing for the 911.

My idea for this bus is NOT to have it be fast. But to have it be able to climb hills without crawling into 3rd or 2nd, and be able to pull a small trailer or pull the 914 or dune bug.

A friend of mine with a T4 powered Westy uses his this way, so I should have no issues with the /6.

The /6 should also give me the option of adding AC, and will have a larger alternator so I'll be able to run more STUFF - like maybe seat heaters and a nicer sound system.

Speed wise, I intend to keep it about 70 - and maybe set s speed limiter since I have a currently 14 year old boy who may end up driving it from time to time when its done.

Zach
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Mar 17 2023, 09:46 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Mar 16 2023, 02:49 PM) *

When I was rolling down the highway in the Carrera powered 1986 Syncro, I had the 4th gear changed out to the Aussie (higher) ratio. Also had the 4wd transaxle rebuilt + blueprinted by a Baja-off road shop; as the stock box kept eating itself up.
Somehow you should be able to source the higher 4th gear (syncro 4wd), I would think that the 2wd gear would be available somewhere.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/marty914.jpg)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Mar 20 2023, 11:28 AM
Post #55

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

Dude, after having my big Corvair powered 74 http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...0&hl=waggin , I am moving to a suby 6 swap. I want heat, A/C, and auto trans that is not screaming at freeway speeds. The Corvair engine was easily 200hp, some estimates 240hp on the forums about the 3.1 big bore treatment with opened up heads. I had the bus over 100mph once. It was terrifying. Last set up was a Eddlebrock 4bbl on an adapter to Weber 3 bolt pattern on the heads. I have a set of Zeniths, now, that I could put on it....if I wanted to continue as it was. I also have 16" wheels and bigger meats, with a slight 3" lift so my gearing is dropped with that a bit. The thing pulls like a tank and I remember one Summer going to Mid OH for the vintage motorcycle weekend and towing my 14' trailer loaded with camping gear, generator, a bunch of pit bikes, and going up an incline at 75mph and being able to accelerate and pass other cars all while the inside of the bus was also loaded. It was nice.

As for putting a Porsche 6 in a bus; I get asked about that a lot. For me it just didnt make sense as I want grunt not top speed and the Porsche engines cost way more to procure and maintain than the Corvair powerplants did. You live near CorvairRanch so even more reason as so did I at the time I built the bus. Of course, I say that about Porsche 6 engines and then I went crazy on the Corvair engine and bored it out and got fancy expensive heads, etc. Now its for sale, or may end up in a 914 project some day.

All that being said, the only real extra step with the 911 v the Corvair engine is the oil sump/tank/plumbing stuff. Corvair didnt need such, which saved money, time, weight, complexity. Everything else was pretty easy to get mounted and working.

Id recommend going with the 091 VW box, and regear if you need a higher gear. Get tire size and you can calculate the final RPM. Apparently, I am about to get into doing 091 builds...but they are easily gotten commercially for dirt cheap (why I never saw a reason to do VW builds when you can get a rebuild for $1500 exchange). I just bought the last of the special tools to do them as a friend conned me into doing his core he bought to fix his 2nd gear issue.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 20 2023, 12:49 PM
Post #56

En Garde!

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 20 2023, 01:28 PM) *

Id recommend going with the 091 VW box, and regear if you need a higher gear. Get tire size and you can calculate the final RPM. Apparently, I am about to get into doing 091 builds...but they are easily gotten commercially for dirt cheap (why I never saw a reason to do VW builds when you can get a rebuild for $1500 exchange). I just bought the last of the special tools to do them as a friend conned me into doing his core he bought to fix his 2nd gear issue.

This is the path that I tend to want to go, as I'd rather not need to figure out the whole shifting geometry to add the 915, not to mention need to change all the suspension and axles to match the 915. Regear the bus box makes a lot of sense.

Zach

+Quote Post
euro911
post Mar 20 2023, 04:24 PM
Post #57

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

If I sell my wife's 2014 Subaru Outback, I might look into doing a Subi transplant in my '84 Westy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached Image

Torn between a N/A 2.5L/4 or a N/A 3.0 or 3.3L/6 though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

A 2.5 L would be cheaper and easier to do, and probably get better fuel economy, but a '6' would sure be a lot of fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
smveril
post Mar 20 2023, 05:36 PM
Post #58

Mikey

Member No.: 3,232

There is a guy in Nebraska that bought a wrecked 911sd and put the engine and transmission in his 72 westfalia, He showed up Ina campout in N,Carolina . Awesome job he did
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Mar 21 2023, 08:08 AM
Post #59

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207

Food for thought (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

This was at Nord Stern Region's outdoor show last summer.
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Mar 21 2023, 08:15 AM
Post #60

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207

And some older pictures from Richmond VA:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:21 PM