Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Put a 2.7 6 into a 72 Bay Window Bus?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
VaccaRabite
So, Lets say you had a 2.7L 6 with complete and intact CIS, good compression, taken out of a running car that wanted to go electric.

And lets say you had a Bay Window Westy.

And, for the sake of argument - what do you think it would take to put them together.

I've got the 915 and the engine and a bus that's about 70% through its restoration.

Current plan is to get the bus running on its existing 1.7 first.
Then add the engine to the bus transmission and drive it like that.
And eventually add the 915 into the mix which may or may not require a bunch of changes.

I know that this is a thing that has been done. Anyone done it?

For the first stage - I'd need an oil tank (maybe - may have one), and would need tins. A different flywheel and maybe a different clutch - may be able to take these off the bus. I'll need exhaust. Heat isn't a concern - I'm using a diesel heater for heat so I am not worried about heat exchangers.

I suppose another option might be to put it into a dune buggy... but no. The bus will like it a good bit more.

Zach
willieg
Put a Subie in the bus. https://www.buslab.com/

No affiliation but they do a lot of conversions.
bdstone914
I know a guy that but a 3.2 in a bus with Porsche brakes all around and a 915. Blue bus with big flanes down the side. Do it. They need power.
GregAmy
There's a couple of Type 2s with Porsche /6 in 'em up here in the Northeast, I see them at car shows. Put I don't ahve any contact info for you...

I'd say start hitting blogs and forums, see what you find.

But...you sure you want to do that to a Westy? I mean, it would certainly make it more usable...actually, now that I typed that, yeah, I'd do it.
kerensky
Horrible idea, you need to toss it all out. Dispose of the 2.7 at this address ... biggrin.gif

Just kidding, of course. I've seen a few of the older Type 2s (21 or 23 window type) with this swap, but not the later Westys. Others have already mentioned examples they are aware of. Makes for a cool project in my opinion.
Cairo94507
@VaccaRabite - That engine would go much better in a deserving 914. You really need a 3.2 for the bus. I happen to know of one looking for a motor to make the jump to 6 power.
porschetub
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Nov 4 2022, 06:31 AM) *

So, Lets say you had a 2.7L 6 with complete and intact CIS, good compression, taken out of a running car that wanted to go electric.

And, for the sake of argument - what do you think it would take to put them together.

I've got the 915 and the engine and a bus that's about 70% through its restoration.

And eventually add the 915 into the mix which may or may not require a bunch of changes.

For the first stage - I'd need an oil tank (maybe - may have one), and would need tins. A different flywheel and maybe a different clutch - may be able to take these off the bus. I'll need exhaust. Heat isn't a concern - I'm using a diesel heater for heat so I am not worried about heat exchangers.

I suppose another option might be to put it into a dune buggy... but no. The bus will like it a good bit more.

Zach

The engine for my "6" conversion came out of a 74 bus,used same original gearbox with a custom made adaptor flywheel running 200mm beetle HD clutch which was nicely made...still have the flywheel.
I had no history on the motor when I purchased it but it turned out to be in great condition,the van was too rusty to pass 6 month road worthy and the body was scrapped.
I did find out it went pretty well but the gearing wasn't great and due to this and the fact that these vans are rather heavy it was very thirsty ,this wasn't helped by messed up carbs.
Isn't the 915 box pretty long compared to the stock IRS box and the 2.7 is longer than the T4 (i think) ,wonder if you need to get the motor and box as far forward as possible without driveshaft angle issues ? .
Cool project if it pans out biggrin.gif .
Bullethead
By all means, do it! Here's a single cab built by 901 Shop awhile back looking a bit scruffy, but it's really spiffy now. Note the fifth wheel hitch.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And surely everyone has seen the Race Taxi built in Switzerland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=powVngJ-Ljc
kerensky
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 3 2022, 03:30 PM) *

@VaccaRabite - That engine would go much better in a deserving 914. You really need a 3.2 for the bus. I happen to know of one looking for a motor to make the jump to 6 power.

I dunno that I'd want to drive a bus with much more than 100 horses. Those things don't exactly handle or stop like our 'teeners.

Although I do recall seeing an old 21 window in Hot VWs magazine once where the owner had not only swapped in a Porsche 6 but had basically rebuilt the entire suspension and braking systems with 911 components (or comparable where the 911 stuff just didn't make sense.) *That* looked like a fun ride...
porschetub
QUOTE(kerensky @ Nov 4 2022, 08:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 3 2022, 03:30 PM) *

I dunno that I'd want to drive a bus with much more than 100 horses. Those things don't exactly handle or stop like our 'teeners.

Although I do recall seeing an old 21 window in Hot VWs magazine once where the owner had not only swapped in a Porsche 6 but had basically rebuilt the entire suspension and braking systems with 911 components (or comparable where the 911 stuff just didn't make sense.) *That* looked like a fun ride...

The bay window busses handle pretty well for what they are with decent shocks and lowered a little they aren't too bad ,I had widened steel wheels on my last one with wider tyres and that made a real differance.
Issue then would be brakes with such an increase in power over the T4 motor,seem to remember 944 brakes are used in this application.
ClayPerrine
Use a complete 944 turbo rear suspension. It will bolt on, and you get turbo brakes.

Fronts would have to be custom using 944 turbo rotors.

Clay
GregAmy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 3 2022, 05:35 PM) *

Use a complete 944 turbo rear suspension. It will bolt on, and you get turbo brakes.

Wait....wuuuuuuut?

<goes looking for Westy sale listings>
JamesM
Ah! So you are the one that bought that motor. Probably did me a favor, if it sat around much longer it might have wound up in my 914.

aktion035.gif

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Nov 3 2022, 10:31 AM) *

Zach

mepstein
Over the years, I’ve seen threads in the samba and pelican on similar conversions. Marty at MSDS used to sell a kit to do the conversion. I would reach out to him with questions. He always seems helpful to the 914 crowd.
Steve
There was a nice bus with a 3.2 at a bug show for $20k. Didn’t have the money back then. He had a skull and crossbones on the speedometer that said do not take over 80 mph. He said the aerodynamics are dangerous above 80 and he almost crashed.
r_towle
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=59j-a86YU9M
r_towle
I really wish Zach lived much closer to me.
We would build some weird stuff
jhynesrockmtn
I seem to recall John Walker had a bus he stuffed a 911 motor in but my fuzzy brain may have made that up. I think it is a cool idea!
sixnotfour
QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Nov 3 2022, 07:44 PM) *

I seem to recall John Walker had a bus he stuffed a 911 motor in but my fuzzy brain may have made that up. I think it is a cool idea!

Denny Akers has a Turbo -6 in his.. forever..

JmuRiz
I have no advice, other than it will be super cool when finished.

You'll need an oil tank and cooler, but if you make your own lines it shouldn't be terrible.

If you want another option, check with NoRustScott about his Subi-van....it's silly smile.gif
ClayPerrine
Now if you were really cool, hip and happening, you would put a Tesla Model S drivetrain under the rear of the VW Bus, and build out a box that fits under the whole floor to hold the batteries.

It would accelerate SHOCKINGLY well!

kerensky
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 4 2022, 02:23 PM) *

Now if you were really cool, hip and happening, you would put a Tesla Model S drivetrain under the rear of the VW Bus, and build out a box that fits under the whole floor to hold the batteries.

Yes, because *everyone* on this site is here to look "really cool, hip, and happening", right? biggrin.gif
nditiz1
It's almost like the newer westy's.

In the event this project does not come together I'll be there with my truck to take that 2.7 off your hands :-D
r_towle
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 4 2022, 03:23 PM) *

I am tapping my fingers on the counter waiting to put my deposit down and order a brand new ID Buzz
mb911
Zach,

I think it would be really cool. I have nothing to offer from advice but it’s really cool
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 3 2022, 08:37 PM) *

I really wish Zach lived much closer to me.
We would build some weird stuff

We really would!
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(JamesM @ Nov 3 2022, 06:11 PM) *

Ah! So you are the one that bought that motor. Probably did me a favor, if it sat around much longer it might have wound up in my 914.

aktion035.gif

I could not turn it down. Though it had put the build of my bus on its nose somewhat.

Zach
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Nov 4 2022, 08:35 AM) *

You'll need an oil tank and cooler, but if you make your own lines it shouldn't be terrible.

If you want another option, check with NoRustScott about his Subi-van....it's silly smile.gif

I'm an advocate of putting Subi's into busses. Have been for years.
But I want this bus to stay aircooled.

Zach
JmuRiz
IPB Image
GregAmy
Ever heard of the Porsche T3 B32? Me neither. Seven built for support Porsche's 959 Dakar Rally efforts.

https://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/15/did-you...agon-based-b32/

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/based-on...che-201540.html
JamesM
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 11 2022, 03:00 PM) *

Ever heard of the Porsche T3 B32? Me neither. Seven built for support Porsche's 959 Dakar Rally efforts.

https://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/15/did-you...agon-based-b32/

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/based-on...che-201540.html

If we are talking Vanagons, there was also the VW/Oettinger 3.2 flat 6 WBX motor.

Basically a 2.1 WBX with 2 extra cylinders

Click to view attachment
JamesM
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Nov 7 2022, 09:30 AM) *

QUOTE(JamesM @ Nov 3 2022, 06:11 PM) *

aktion035.gif

I could not turn it down. Though it had put the build of my bus on its nose somewhat.

Zach

I was on the fence, but in no hurry to dive into something like that atm with all the other projects I have going on. The car it would have gone in is currently cut to bits at PMB getting rust repair done AND I just bought a new set of Tangerine headers for it that would never get installed if I change direction on the motor. Plus with the current motor being ~130-140ish hp, not sure if I would have felt it was all worth it in the end only gaining ~30-40hp as it sits. The idea of going though a motor that clean to upgrade it almost seemed wasteful... I mean that thing looked almost brand new.

Maybe someday, 2.7 is my motor of choice for a 914.

Glad it found a good home.
r_towle
Yah, like Zach….I bought a 3.0 liter with no destination in mind.
Once I rebuild it…the idea will come to me.

blabla914
If I hit the power ball B32 replica is on the short list
Maltese Falcon
@mepstein Found an MSDS Vanagon ('80-92) 3.2L kit pic: 4wd/Syncro and 2wd d-i-y kits were offered.
I shipped the last kit off in '01 to a client in BC,Canada.
Never mfg the earlier bus kits (not intererchangeable)...but this pic illustrates the major components made to fit the Vanagon platform.
Not in pic; KEP clutch disc, flywheel, optional components ;
P/S kit, Fr oil cooler + T'stat kit, 2 or 4 tip muffler styles, front brush guard, oil tank rock shield, front winch (Ramsey) mount plate. Very clean install and No high spots in the rear cargo/cushion area.
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Let's go for a ride in the dirt...in the dry-bed flood control basin over at Legg Lake, South El Monte, CA.
4wd Syncro viscous coupling in effect, and 3.2L party in the back aktion035.gif
Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
Another pic
Maltese Falcon
Under the bonnet biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
JmuRiz
QUOTE(blabla914 @ Nov 11 2022, 06:29 PM) *

If I hit the power ball B32 replica is on the short list

agree.gif Those were cool, and any of those Oettinger engines are cool (the one pictured and the 16v conversions for gti/‘Rocco back in the day.
erwan914
my BUS t2B
VaccaRabite
@erwan914

WE NEED TO TALK!

Looks like yours is about a year ahead of mine in the process (at least it was in those pics).

What did you do for tins? Did you have issues with engine height? My plan for using the stock CIS may be complicated by not having a high enough engine bay. Bus trans or 915?

Zach
erwan914
yes

gearbox 915 LSD
Root_Werks
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Nov 7 2022, 09:32 AM) *

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Nov 4 2022, 08:35 AM) *

I'm an advocate of putting Subi's into busses. Have been for years.
But I want this bus to stay aircooled.

Zach

I was going to ask what year the Westy was.

agree.gif

If it's aircooled, leave it that way.

I say go for it. There should be plenty of resources, a fun project and will produce a unique Westy when done.

Then you can sell it to me. biggrin.gif
RARE 6
I have memories of the late Bill Randle, ex Porsche racer and Denver shop owner, flat towing his 356 to the Fiesta del Porsche in Santa Fe behind his Westy with a 6-cylinder conversion. Sometime in the 1980s. Keeping up with the traffic on I-25 south of Pueblo.
914Toy
QUOTE(RARE 6 @ Mar 16 2023, 08:10 AM) *

I have memories of the late Bill Randle, ex Porsche racer and Denver shop owner, flat towing his 356 to the Fiesta del Porsche in Santa Fe behind his Westy with a 6-cylinder conversion. Sometime in the 1980s. Keeping up with the traffic on I-25 south of Pueblo.

Lived in Denver at the time, and remember his Westy 6, and used his shop as my service/repair shop. beerchug.gif
gandalf_025
There was a guy at the shop i hung out at that had a bus with a 2.7 in it..
Was his daily driver.
Another guy put an early 2.0, 911 engine in the back of a bug..
Used the bug 4 speed too..
But the craziest one was an early Corvair that had a 327 hanging out the back.
As i remember, he had to have the 327 turn backwards so he put a boat cam in it..
Damn thing did great wheel stands..
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Mar 16 2023, 12:19 PM) *

As i remember, he had to have the 327 turn backwards so he put a boat cam in it..

Had a friend in High School that had a Corvair with a 350 Chevy in it. It was mid engined. If you combine the Corvair 4 speed with a saginaw 4 speed you can put together a mid engine trans. The only fab was to make engine and trans mounts for the chassis.

The engine was hidden behind a fake rear seat and the radiator was in the old engine compartment. It was an incredible sleeper.

fixer34
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 16 2023, 12:09 PM) *

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Mar 16 2023, 12:19 PM) *

Had a friend in High School that had a Corvair with a 350 Chevy in it. It was mid engined. If you combine the Corvair 4 speed with a saginaw 4 speed you can put together a mid engine trans. The only fab was to make engine and trans mounts for the chassis.

The engine was hidden behind a fake rear seat and the radiator was in the old engine compartment. It was an incredible sleeper.

Clay, by any weird chance would that have been in the Dallas area in the late 70's? Your friend an instructor at the IBM training center on Stemmons? Corvair was black?
gandalf_025
There were a couple of companies that had kits to put a V8 in the back seat
area of later Corvairs. You could buy the entire kit or any parts you wanted.
The weak link was the input shaft that was specially made to enter the transmission from the wrong end. The transaxle was mounted in the stock position and turned backwards.
people usually had trouble getting the run out of the input shaft low enough that it wouldn't self destruct in time. Also the reason Posi Corvair transaxles were in such high demand.
There was also a GM Engineer that made a kit to put an entire Toronado drivetrain mid engine in a corvair. That kit allowed the use of the rear seats too.
It was pretty bullet proof because the engine transmission were built to work together.
It was an automatic though..

The guy I knew had an early Corvair... 1963 and he hung the engine out the back after figuring out a bell housing and turning the engine backwards. It handled terribly and was a handful to drive.. But it did stand up easy..
Bartlett 914
I have a 91 Westy with a Suby 2.5. The power is great but not too much. Gearing is great in the city but I need a higher gear, 4K at 70mph. This is a water cooled bus. A suby is not a great fit for the older bus. I think this would make a great conversion. With the lower HP motor, these vans had trouble getting out of their own way. Maybe the 6 is overkill but I am sure you will love it. I hope you keep posting your conversion process here!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.