Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Paint related question to concours weeny types, Early 80's P car with badly scuffed scratched cleat coat
914rrr
post Dec 16 2022, 07:29 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 874
Region Association: South East States

Hi All, I'm looking at a early 80's P car with badly scuffed / scratched clear coat. The car was kept in a barn with a tarp on it for years, hence the scuffing. What, if any options are available to try and bring the clear back vs a re-spray?Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 16 2022, 07:53 AM
Post #2

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

There are quite a few excellent shops recognized for high-end paint work. Search for one and go talk to them and look at their shop and see what kind of work they have on the floor. Then let them suggest their approach to the problem. That is how I would approach it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 16 2022, 07:57 AM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Dec 16 2022, 08:53 AM) *

There are quite a few excellent shops recognized for high-end paint work. Search for one and go talk to them and look at their shop and see what kind of work they have on the floor. Then let them suggest their approach to the problem. That is how I would approach it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Some guys can work the magic but also know enough to tell you when it’s time to start over.
+Quote Post
914rrr
post Dec 16 2022, 10:15 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 874
Region Association: South East States

Thanks for the replies. This is a low mileage car and part or most of the potential value might be originality. How much does a partial repaint of the clear or clear and base in certain panels vs a complete "top side" (rubber in but gapped, no jambs, etc.) paint job devalue a car vs all original and color corrected paint? Also, any recommendations in Knoxville area that could do one or more of these tasks? I had a really good detail guy / painter in St. Pete and would like to find a similar shop in Knox.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Dec 17 2022, 10:04 AM
Post #5

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I believe if the paint work is done correctly, that is to say, glass, trim, seals removed and then prepared and painted properly, cleared and polished, really no issue with value. If someone just tapes off glass and trim and shoots color, now I see a depreciation of value.

If it is a clean low-mileage car, please have it done by a shop that does the work correctly and get photos in process in the event you ever sell and need to disclose the work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Jett
post Dec 17 2022, 02:42 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hard to tell what to do given the picture. Do you have more pics?
+Quote Post
nivekdodge
post Dec 17 2022, 03:20 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 25,860
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I've very rarely seen things"buff out". plus the clear will be so thin that it will soon need repainted.

Kevin
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Dec 17 2022, 03:25 PM
Post #8

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

You can't just put new paint, specially clear, over really old paint, and have it not peal eventually.

Probably just needs a good cut & polish. But if it's really worn you risk breaking thru the clear coat which means new paint job. An expert shop will measure the paint and work accordingly to give you the best possible results.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 05:27 AM