Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Picking up new 914 project. Any tips tricks for loading an inop 914 on a U-haul trailer?
914rrr
post Jan 16 2023, 08:01 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 874
Region Association: South East States

Wow, that's quite the save!!

OK, I may be doing "inop 914 on a U-haul trailer" V2 soon. The kicker with V2 is a broken passenger side suspension console.

Any tips / tricks / advice / etc. on how to handle this would be greatly appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Jan 16 2023, 08:44 PM
Post #42

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(914rrr @ Dec 29 2022, 07:17 PM) *

OK, Rant Time. U-Haul has maintained their 100% perfect record of delivering equipment (trucks, dollys, trailers, etc.) with underinflated tires !!! Employee told me " they didn't have an inflation gauge" WTF ?!?!?!?!? Guess what, I DID !!! Employee proceeded to thump trailer tires with a stick and proclaim "...they're all fine..." Quick check with my Ryobi inflator netted anywhere from 47 psi to 56 psi. They grudgingly agreed to top them all off.

Lesson: NEVER assume U-Haul has properly inflated tires on ANYTHING on their lot. Same goes for equipment maintenance like properly lubed tire strap ratchets (HA HA), broken or missing ramp pins, etc.

I once rented a U hual trailer that pulled funny. When i checked the tire pressure they ranged from 20 to 80 psi.
+Quote Post
914rrr
post Jan 22 2023, 05:08 PM
Post #43

In answer to my last post re: loading a non-op 914 on a U-Haul with a broken suspension console... did it !!!

Picking up the car involved prodigious amounts of redneck engineering. The seller was an old school southern import mechanic and was extremely helpful in loading up the car.

The donor car was hella rusty. like the jack went through several places in the floor pan. They jacked the front of the car way up using rubber blocks, sideways ATV ramps, etc. to enable me back up the trailer up under the front wheels and basically "muscle" the 2 rear wheels the rest of the way on the trailer. including the passenger side frozen wheel and severely broken suspension console.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jan 22 2023, 05:15 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(914rrr @ Jan 22 2023, 06:08 PM) *

In answer to my last post re: loading a non-op 914 on a U-Haul with a broken suspension console... did it !!!

Picking up the car involved prodigious amounts of redneck engineering. The seller was an old school southern import mechanic and was extremely helpful in loading up the car.

The donor car was hella rusty. like the jack went through several places in the floor pan. They jacked the front of the car way up using rubber blocks, sideways ATV ramps, etc. to enable me back up the trailer up under the front wheels and basically "muscle" the 2 rear wheels the rest of the way on the trailer. including the passenger side frozen wheel and severely broken suspension console.

Attached Image

And you are going to repair this specimen?
+Quote Post
914rrr
post Jan 22 2023, 05:49 PM
Post #45

Unloading was a whole different story... I rented the trailer for 2 days as a contingency plan, just in case. I "almost" was able to do the entire trip as a 1 day rental but a 2 hr. delay due to an accident on I-75 north of Chattanooga screwed that up. Not to mention that the air suspension pump on our Navigator decided to take a dump upon arrival home. At least it didn't happen DURING the trip. Another lesson learned, get the additional insurance on the trailer. Since I couldn't return the car trailer due to the wounded tow vehicle, they picked it up for free.

I slept on it and had a "eureka" moment! I had some large pieces of cardboard laying around and a bag full of "furniture" skates. Sooo... I was able to use the skates under the frozen wheel / broken suspension console and by alternating 3 rubber wheel chocks I slowly walked / slid the car off the trailer and into my garage.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914rrr
post Jan 22 2023, 05:58 PM
Post #46

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 22 2023, 06:15 PM) *

QUOTE(914rrr @ Jan 22 2023, 06:08 PM) *

Attached Image

And you are going to repair this specimen?

Nope... waay too far gone to restore, will be used as a donor vehicle for my 74 2.0. So much for "rust free southern cars" LOL!! 30+ years of sitting in a field in AL did a number on this teener!
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jan 22 2023, 06:47 PM
Post #47

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

You do know the trailer has ramps . . . Right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I guess from the unload photo you knew that - glad you got it loaded and unloaded without anyone getting hurt.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914rrr
post Jan 23 2023, 05:08 AM
Post #48

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 22 2023, 07:47 PM) *

You do know the trailer has ramps . . . Right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I guess from the unload photo you knew that - glad you got it loaded and unloaded without anyone getting hurt.

Yup, ramps were in Plan A consisting of a HF hand winch mounted to a hitch extender to pull it up on the trailer along with a HF small furniture dolly under the passenger side frozen wheel and broken suspension arm "combo".

Upon arrival and inspection, we were concerned about dragging the "combo" any distance at all as it was literally hanging on by a thread! With the "drive the trailer under it" Plan B method we only had to drag the "combo" about a foot vs 8-10 feet.

I didn't think of the "cardboard and furniture skate" Plan C method until I got home.
+Quote Post
914rrr
post Jan 23 2023, 05:15 AM
Post #49

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 16 2023, 09:44 PM) *

OK, Rant Time. U-Haul has maintained their 100% perfect record of delivering equipment (trucks, dollys, trailers, etc.) with underinflated tires !!! Employee told me " they didn't have an inflation gauge" WTF ?!?!?!?!? Guess what, I DID !!! Employee proceeded to thump trailer tires with a stick and proclaim "...they're all fine..." Quick check with my Ryobi inflator netted anywhere from 47 psi to 56 psi. They grudgingly agreed to top them all off.

Lesson: NEVER assume U-Haul has properly inflated tires on ANYTHING on their lot. Same goes for equipment maintenance like properly lubed tire strap ratchets (HA HA), broken or missing ramp pins, etc.

I once rented a U hual trailer that pulled funny. When i checked the tire pressure they ranged from 20 to 80 psi.

Well, U-Haul in Knoxville on Clinton Hwy broke the 100% underinflated tire record and actually had all 4 tires properly inflated !!! Shocker !!!
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jan 23 2023, 05:52 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

I have used U Haul several times in the past with nothing but good success
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Jan 23 2023, 08:33 PM
Post #51

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 16 2023, 07:44 PM) *

The last time I rented a car trailer from Uhaul, the vendor made me wait while he checked everything, including tire pressures.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 11:11 PM