Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 mechanics needed!, If you love working on the cars, we have a position for you
Lockwodo
post Dec 31 2022, 09:15 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,193
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Dec 31 2022, 12:46 AM) *

QUOTE(914e @ Dec 31 2022, 12:10 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 30 2022, 06:26 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Dec 30 2022, 07:05 PM) *

QUOTE(914werke @ Dec 30 2022, 03:48 PM) *

Mechanics are a dime a dozen (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) sounds like you want craftsmen, but you gotta pay craftsman wages (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

Trying to find someone who can show up every day and (correctly) sweep the floor is near impossible. Too bad, the number of skilled conscientious workers is dwindling by the day. The high majority of young people these days wants to get an easy job and pocket $80.k the first year.

I work out of the same shop as a bunch of young guys who started their own Porsche build and repair business. They work super hard but decided they wanted to work for their future, not to make someone else wealthy. I think a lot of younger people today have a different mindset from our parents and grandparents generations. They don’t want to slave away for 40-50 years just to make the people at the top rich. I don’t blame them. I’m also exposed to my kids and their peers. They want to have a life, not just a job. If they can figure out a way to make $80 a year without working too hard, good for them. My son made 150 his first year out of college so there’s opportunity out there if you go after it.

Last year I pretty much chewed out my boss at a breakfast meeting for losing our best CAD operators to being UBER drivers. If you can't beat UBER's pay and/ or flexibility good luck finding anyone to work for you. The young generations saw first hand how much employers have their backs. It is pretty much, no thanks I will do my own thing.

i honestly do not understand this conversation.

other than to say the young are out of time, and about to find themselves in a time.

observe the UK economy and soon to be european economy.
its already happening here.

yep. those 100K jobs etc are evaporating.
the banks are taking back the houses.
etc and so forth.

real jobs doing real things might be a reality again.

give it a year or two.

happy new year.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

i am a day in front and its about 4 hours away.
but things are changing.

you might get your mechanics yet.

there will be all sorts of cult industries in the decade ahead. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914xr75
post Dec 31 2022, 01:37 PM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,996
Region Association: Southern California

I am two years away from leaving a high-paying job that actually pays for your kids college education as well. If I stayed seven years I could take advantage of the college education but I’m going to pay for that myself and leave early. I don’t plan on ever not working, so in two years I’m gonna find some thing that I really enjoy doing.

I thought about pushing to be one of Jay Leno’s future drivers. I have friends that know him. I also figure once he can no longer drive he’s still gonna want to be behind an old car all day long. He’s probably going to need a team of drivers eventually.

If I found that job that was really not a job I would probably do it for nothing, just a chance to take my skills to the next level as pay. I would take this job George. But the first day I was treated with zero respect that would be my last day there. Lol. Not saying you would do that. I really respect you.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 02:12 PM