Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1.8T water cooled conversion block choice, Block question 058 vs. 06A
pgollender
post Jan 1 2023, 01:17 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,281
Region Association: Northern California

Question for those that have done this conversion before. Which block would you chose ?
The 058 has external water pump and intermediate shaft for the oil pump. The 06A was internal water pump driven by serpentine belt and oil pump driven by crankshaft. Additionally the 06A has smaller diameter head bolts 10mm vs the 058 11mm head bolts.
Intended HP <300, not a track car. Also I may delete mechanical water pump all together and use a Craig Davies electric WP instead.
I need pros and cons for those peeps that know both blocks. Happy New Year!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Retroracer
post Jan 1 2023, 04:43 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 16,100
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Alerting @Andyrew for comment...

- Tony
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 1 2023, 10:11 PM
Post #3

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

I’ve used the 058, the issue with it will be going wideband me7.5 is not native and you have to flip a couple things.

058 is a stronger setup for when your making 600+ but it’s really not that big of a deal.

Honestly I would go with whichever one you can find more readily. 06A is probably going to be slightly cheaper and easier for tuning.

The factory water pump might be sufficient for pushing the water to the front and back. I’ve never tried it and always wanted to see. I ran a Davies Craig right up near the block on the water pump and just gutted the pump internals.
+Quote Post
pgollender
post Jan 2 2023, 12:23 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,281

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 1 2023, 08:11 PM) *

I’ve used the 058, the issue with it will be going wideband me7.5 is not native and you have to flip a couple things.

058 is a stronger setup for when your making 600+ but it’s really not that big of a deal.

Honestly I would go with whichever one you can find more readily. 06A is probably going to be slightly cheaper and easier for tuning.

The factory water pump might be sufficient for pushing the water to the front and back. I’ve never tried it and always wanted to see. I ran a Davies Craig right up near the block on the water pump and just gutted the pump internals.

Thanks Andrew. I have both blocks available. I’m running the older A013 head with the larger intake ports. My neighbor = auto parts supplier (owns a auto-dismantling yard) thinks the 06A block has fewer problems. I think because he disliked the oil intermediate shaft or the external WP on the 058: I’m a long ways from start-up, as I’m still working on the floorboards rust repair, before I weld in the engine/transmission cradle: I wanted to have most of the finished engine and intake and exhaust manifolds attached in-place so I can see how to manipulate the cradle position, driveshafts and shift cables.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 06:14 PM