Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8T water cooled conversion block choice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pgollender
Question for those that have done this conversion before. Which block would you chose ?
The 058 has external water pump and intermediate shaft for the oil pump. The 06A was internal water pump driven by serpentine belt and oil pump driven by crankshaft. Additionally the 06A has smaller diameter head bolts 10mm vs the 058 11mm head bolts.
Intended HP <300, not a track car. Also I may delete mechanical water pump all together and use a Craig Davies electric WP instead.
I need pros and cons for those peeps that know both blocks. Happy New Year!
Retroracer
Alerting @Andyrew for comment...

- Tony
Andyrew
I’ve used the 058, the issue with it will be going wideband me7.5 is not native and you have to flip a couple things.

058 is a stronger setup for when your making 600+ but it’s really not that big of a deal.

Honestly I would go with whichever one you can find more readily. 06A is probably going to be slightly cheaper and easier for tuning.

The factory water pump might be sufficient for pushing the water to the front and back. I’ve never tried it and always wanted to see. I ran a Davies Craig right up near the block on the water pump and just gutted the pump internals.
pgollender
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 1 2023, 08:11 PM) *

I’ve used the 058, the issue with it will be going wideband me7.5 is not native and you have to flip a couple things.

058 is a stronger setup for when your making 600+ but it’s really not that big of a deal.

Honestly I would go with whichever one you can find more readily. 06A is probably going to be slightly cheaper and easier for tuning.

The factory water pump might be sufficient for pushing the water to the front and back. I’ve never tried it and always wanted to see. I ran a Davies Craig right up near the block on the water pump and just gutted the pump internals.

Thanks Andrew. I have both blocks available. I’m running the older A013 head with the larger intake ports. My neighbor = auto parts supplier (owns a auto-dismantling yard) thinks the 06A block has fewer problems. I think because he disliked the oil intermediate shaft or the external WP on the 058: I’m a long ways from start-up, as I’m still working on the floorboards rust repair, before I weld in the engine/transmission cradle: I wanted to have most of the finished engine and intake and exhaust manifolds attached in-place so I can see how to manipulate the cradle position, driveshafts and shift cables.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.