Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Windshield inside OEM Glass Sticker logo?, Anyone making these OEM Windshield Mfg. Stickers
vitamin914
post Jan 9 2023, 04:12 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,893
Region Association: Canada

@StarBear

Is this what the trademark looks like that you have? I managed to get a readable shadow on a piece of paper.

Attached Image

I too have a Sigla w/s in my 74. It may be original - I have no way of telling. I do have the certificate for it that says tinted side glass. That really doesn't make sense to me that you could order only side glass that was heat absorbing? To me it should be all windows or none.

@wonkipop

It may well be that Sigla glass was installed at the factory too. I will have a look see... Maybe I can tell if any of the glass has a green tinge.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 9 2023, 04:36 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(vitamin914 @ Jan 9 2023, 04:12 PM) *

@StarBear

Is this what the trademark looks like that you have? I managed to get a readable shadow on a piece of paper.

Attached Image

I too have a Sigla w/s in my 74. It may be original - I have no way of telling. I do have the certificate for it that says tinted side glass. That really doesn't make sense to me that you could order only side glass that was heat absorbing? To me it should be all windows or none.

@wonkipop

It may well be that Sigla glass was installed at the factory too. I will have a look see... Maybe I can tell if any of the glass has a green tinge.

Attached Image

@vitamin914
thats real interesting the way it specifically says "tinted side glass"
i did find that one 74 bumblebee that specifically said "tinted windscreen"
it has DELODUR 1 side glass. the screen was tinted but was a newer domestic brand replacement.

and then there are all the other more common ones i have come across that say
"tinted glass all round". those ones all have the infra-red windscreen and the DELODUR F side glass.

you probably could get exactly what you wanted if you actually ordered your car from factory versus taking one off the showroom floor. suspect the factory did combos of non tinted or tinted all round as stock for dealers, but would do specific orders for buyers who ordered a car from factory to their own spec. and dealers would definitely have installed a tinted screen in if it meant a sale. no big deal to tear a screen out and put one in for a buyer.

the yellow 74 2.0 that recently sold on BAT and belonged to one family (2 brothers) all its life and was verified as a very original car by a member here who knew the car its entirel life has the same window package as mine. untinted. F/F windscreen and DELODUR 1 side and rear glass. but it had no original window sticker or CofA in documentation.
thats the combo i am finding hard to link up documentation to. the variation that is on my car and is very common to a lot of 74 cars.
EDIT - in relation to comments below and evidence of SIGLA screens, the yellow 2.0 was a later 74 MY car. produced some time much later in 1974. think it was may or something like that without checking my file.
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Jan 9 2023, 04:42 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(vitamin914 @ Jan 9 2023, 05:12 PM) *

@StarBear

Attached Image

@wonkipop

Attached Image

Yep, that’s what my windshield etching looks like. I have a POA for my car, will check if any tinting notation.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 9 2023, 04:45 PM
Post #64

Advanced Member

@vitamin914

i'm just looking at your certificate and date of car.
so yours is a 1.8?
as far as we can work out cars in that date band of nov 73 to end of jan 74 are all 1.8s

so there maybe is something there.
like maybe that batch of 1.8s that first are done from late oct 73 to some cut off point all got sigla screens. my 1.8 is late jan 74 build.

we might be on to something. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
ah the mysteries of the 914. pretty funny.

EDIT
with that production date it could also be one of the last of the first batch of 2.0s that were done in 74 model year. its around that time they move into making the 1.8s which were late to get the 1.8 engine supply which does not happen until Nov 73.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 9 2023, 04:54 PM
Post #65

Advanced Member

@StarBear

thats great you have your "window sticker".
and very interesting the way it says just "tinted windscreen" specifically.
and it fits with the DELODUR 1 side glass being so called "untinted".

i'm thinking its def an original screen you have.

anyway. its pretty esoteric given cars lose their windscreens along the way.
but certainly the blanket statement that only sigla screens were original is incorrect.
looks like there are quite a few possibilities to make PCA judges choke on their weeties if thats your scene. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 9 2023, 05:00 PM
Post #66

Advanced Member

we just need @Van B to pipe in now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
he has a pretty original car - be interesting to know what glass is in his. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
i think its a december 73 build car.
+Quote Post
StarBear
post Jan 9 2023, 05:03 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 10,753
Region Association: North East States

Here it is. “tinted windshield”. Side glass not tinted. Maybe that’s why they’re different?

Attached Image
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 9 2023, 05:09 PM
Post #68

Advanced Member

so this is the late 74 2.0 that was on BAT and very original car.
its a MAY 74 build. i just checked.

all the glass matches mine.
thinking this is your "non tinted" standard glass package.
but no CofA. or window sticker.
similar predicament to me.

i think what happens on BAT is people use the CofA or window sticker as a prompt.
they reference the option list and then go photograph everything that is an option to tick it off for originality. so "tinted glass" as an option prompts them to photograph all the glass. whereas your standard package doesn't prompt sellers to photograph glass.
hence i can't seem to easily find a nice neat CofA or sticker link up with the package of glass in the yellow one or mine for instance. spewing now original owner never kept that sticker. could get CofA but its a pretty dumb process these days and not worth doing.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jan 9 2023, 05:23 PM
Post #69

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Clear glass was standard and the rear glass was always only clear. Windshield tint and side glass tint were different M-code options. A given car might not have had both options.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 9 2023, 05:54 PM
Post #70

Advanced Member

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Jan 9 2023, 05:23 PM) *

Clear glass was standard and the rear glass was always only clear. Windshield tint and side glass tint were different M-code options. A given car might not have had both options.

there you go. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

------

for you blokes with sigla screens.
another one from the ECA/B research files.
may 74 1.8
pretty beat car, but original in its degraded state.
windscreen is sigla. could be original. who knows?
has CofA but one of the new ones which can't even tell you production date.
does not have tinted glass option listed.
side/rear glass checks out for clear.
sigla screen has different D code to @vitamin914 sigla screen.
also says S only above AS1. vitamin's says SGG.
@StarBear needs to take a close look at his.
are D code numbers same as this one as well as what is written above AS-1.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Van B
post Jan 9 2023, 06:10 PM
Post #71

Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

Here ya go. Such a shame that I have the crack over the passenger defroster on my front glass.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 9 2023, 06:12 PM
Post #72

Advanced Member

@Van B

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

i think we might be on to something? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

like there is runs of cars with sigla as supplier.
then other runs of cars with the kinonglas.

def a pattern here.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
BR9
post Jan 9 2023, 06:19 PM
Post #73

Member No.: 26,347
Region Association: South East States

What about my rare Mexican front windshield?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 9 2023, 06:36 PM
Post #74

Advanced Member

QUOTE(BR9 @ Jan 9 2023, 06:19 PM) *

What about my rare Mexican front windshield?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
now there is another whole can of worms.
replacement screens.
sure you wanna open up that pandora's box? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

although it is interesting as a whole other discussion about the way manufacture shifted from the so-called western world from the late 80s on.
all the euros first went and shifted their factories into poland and other former communist euro countries and then shifted it again to china.
the story of our industrial decline bit by bit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
we used to get australian made screens for all our cars down here.
huge industry. now all gone and all the expertise that went with it along with the machinery. (we are gonna regret it i say?).

but back to the topic.
factory screens.
so far it looks like its either SIGLA or KINONGLAS.
and maybe date of production of car decided which?
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 9 2023, 06:44 PM
Post #75

Advanced Member

@Van B and @vitamin914

that DOT 25 number on your screen is still on the current DOT list today.
they still exist as SIGLA or flachglas as its called.

whereas DOT 31 for kinonglas no longer appears. company is kaput, or absorbed into SEKURIT german gmbh these days.
+Quote Post
vitamin914
post Jan 9 2023, 08:11 PM
Post #76

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 9 2023, 05:45 PM) *

@vitamin914

so yours is a 1.8?
as far as we can work out cars in that date band of nov 73 to end of jan 74 are all 1.8s

like maybe that batch of 1.8s that first are done from late oct 73 to some cut off point all got sigla screens. my 1.8 is late jan 74 build.

we might be on to something. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

EDIT
with that production date it could also be one of the last of the first batch of 2.0s that were done in 74 model year. its around that time they move into making the 1.8s which were late to get the 1.8 engine supply which does not happen until Nov 73.

@wonkipop

I have no idea what the original engine was. I was always under the assumption it was a 2.0... It was removed and reworked into a Weber carbed 2.4 L displacement by a California engine builder. This is the way I purchased it from the PO. I will look at the paperwork to see if there is any mention the original displacement. The badge on the back says 2.0 but that is meaningless because it has been repainted. I will go around and take some photos of the tempered trademarks.

I just turned 9 years old when the car was built, but I do remember it was the start of the oil embargo crisis and there were all sorts of issues getting building materials as my parents were having a home built. Could it be there were issues getting glass from one supplier and another, Sigla was brought in? It would be odd to have two different OEM glass makers tool up for the same part. Or Kinonglas didn't have the capacity for peak production of the 914? I wonder what was in the 75 and 76s?
+Quote Post
sb914
post Jan 9 2023, 08:13 PM
Post #77

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/deadhorse.gif) 4 pages ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
Sorry I can’t help myself…
Continue on ….
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 9 2023, 08:19 PM
Post #78

Advanced Member

QUOTE(vitamin914 @ Jan 9 2023, 08:11 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 9 2023, 05:45 PM) *

@vitamin914

so yours is a 1.8?

EDIT

@wonkipop

I have no idea what the original engine was. I was always under the assumption it was a 2.0... It was removed and reworked into a Weber carbed 2.4 L displacement by a California engine builder. This is the way I purchased it from the PO. I will look at the paperwork to see if there is any mention the original displacement. The badge on the back says 2.0 but that is meaningless because it has been repainted. I will go around and take some photos of the tempered trademarks.

I just turned 9 years old when the car was built, but I do remember it was the start of the oil embargo crisis and there were all sorts of issues getting building materials as my parents where having a home built. Could it be there were issues getting glass from one supplier and another, Sigla was brought in? It would be odd to have two different OEM glass makers tool up for the same part. Or Kinonglas didn't have the capacity for peak production of the 914? I wonder what was in the 75 and 76s?

probably is a 2.0 - its right on that borderline.

i was 13 when mine was made. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) must be 4 years older than you.
born in 1960.

so far the few 75s and 76s i dug out of BAT are kinonglas.
i had a bit of 75 1.8 material on file from the 74 engine research.
and a few nice examples of some 73s. we were chasing the collection of engine stamp numbers either side of 74. those 73s had kinonglas.

could be a bit of old fashioned german industrial bargaining? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
VW doing a bit of arm wrestling. maybe kinonglas put up their prices, so VW got an order from competition to keep em honest. that sort of thing used to go on.
fair bit of industrial unrest in germany at that time as well as fuel crisis.
one of those VW heads got into a fair bit of trouble with the unions and it caused his head to roll. might have been slightly earlier than 74 when that happened. but there was a bit of turmoil. so who knows.

it is interesting that your car is very close to starbears on production date.
as well as Van B's. so i would not be inclined to dismiss the sigla screens.
especially in the case of starbear. he drove his out of the showroom so unless he has had a memory fade, which is unlikely, thats the way it came.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 9 2023, 08:25 PM
Post #79

Advanced Member

QUOTE(sb914 @ Jan 9 2023, 08:13 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/deadhorse.gif) 4 pages ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
Continue on ….

i don't want to be rude.
but.....don't read it if you are not interested.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

+Quote Post
vitamin914
post Jan 9 2023, 08:31 PM
Post #80

QUOTE(sb914 @ Jan 9 2023, 09:13 PM) *

Continue on ….

Hey, yeah it is boring glass... was an occupational hazard for me. No one is making you read it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif)

Be happy it ain't a thread about engine oil, gear box oil, tires or batteries... or who belongs to a spotted car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 06:02 AM