Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Values ——
sixaddict
post Jan 28 2023, 08:26 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,961
Region Association: South East States

The following is quote from recent Hagerty emailing.
“The collector car market climbed steeply for two years, but may have reached cruising altitude. Data from our various indexes, which track specific vehicle segments, indicate rationality is returning. If you watched recent Mecun auction you’d never know it.
Kind of like real estate in my neighborhood…….market cooled, sellers just don’t know it yet ( or acknowledge it with prices). Probably accurate from watching things hang around longer.
There’s more extensive information in the article this was just the tease.
For what it’s worth.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Jan 28 2023, 08:44 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

Panorama has a nice bit on 914 valuations this month.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Jan 28 2023, 09:26 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,961

Will have to check it out…..didn’t see it on quick scan obviously not too observant.
+Quote Post
Lockwodo
post Jan 28 2023, 11:47 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 26,193
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jan 28 2023, 06:44 AM) *

Panorama has a nice bit on 914 valuations this month.

Panorama magazine seems to be members only. Can you post the article or the grist of it? Thanks!
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Jan 28 2023, 04:11 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Attached Image
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Jan 28 2023, 04:12 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Tried fixing that pic but no luck.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Jan 28 2023, 04:13 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Attached Image
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jan 28 2023, 04:18 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565

Anyone who's interested in paying $55k for my '74 2L, please PM me. I can leave tomorrow morning to deliver it to you at no charge.
+Quote Post
Michael N
post Jan 29 2023, 08:18 PM
Post #9

Certifiable

Member No.: 2,164

I was surprised that Panorama actually created a separate tracking for the Limited Edition cars. First time in a pricing guide that I saw them actually tracked separately. Bravo Panorama!
+Quote Post
TonyA
post Jan 29 2023, 08:31 PM
Post #10

Nachmal

Member No.: 20,596

Yep it makes sense to group the LE separately just like the 914-6
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jan 29 2023, 10:11 PM
Post #11

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

QUOTE(TonyA @ Jan 29 2023, 06:31 PM) *

Yep it makes sense to group the LE separately just like the 914-6

‘Bout time I say. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jan 29 2023, 10:24 PM
Post #12

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Doesn't directly apply to 914s but I saw some things when I was doing a valuation for Dad's TR4. Lots of restored cars listed for big bucks but not selling and/or being paid for. Sold cars were mostly good drivers for $8-15k. Unfortunately the cost of doing even a DD resto put it over that.

914s have plenty of real world advantages over a 60s British roadster, but I think it's a glimpse of the future...

1 Everyone that did well in the stock market cashed out and bought something already.
2 The group of enthusiasts of cars this old is getting smaller, as in, aging out - too old to drive, other priorities, dying, yada.
3 Younger drivers are sold on the features of newer stuff. $30k buys a nice modern car with A/C, paddle shift, airbags, etc.
4 Current and short term (hopefully) financial market situation.
5 Cars are getting too expensive to restore to justify it. Mainly because of the labor market.

There will always be collectors and builders, but I think the classic car boom is ending with the Boomers.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jan 29 2023, 10:41 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

There was a mint 74 2.0 at Cars & Coffee yesterday. He wanted $30k for it. Some people said it’s $10k under valued…?? Last week there was a clean not mint 73 for $34k. We all know those are asking prices.
+Quote Post
rjames
post Jan 30 2023, 12:55 AM
Post #14

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

There will always be collectors and builders, but I think the classic car boom is ending with the Boomers.

I tend to believe this, too.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jan 30 2023, 02:04 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jan 29 2023, 10:24 PM) *

Doesn't directly apply to 914s but I saw some things when I was doing a valuation for Dad's TR4. Lots of restored cars listed for big bucks but not selling and/or being paid for. Sold cars were mostly good drivers for $8-15k. Unfortunately the cost of doing even a DD resto put it over that.

914s have plenty of real world advantages over a 60s British roadster, but I think it's a glimpse of the future...

1 Everyone that did well in the stock market cashed out and bought something already.
2 The group of enthusiasts of cars this old is getting smaller, as in, aging out - too old to drive, other priorities, dying, yada.
3 Younger drivers are sold on the features of newer stuff. $30k buys a nice modern car with A/C, paddle shift, airbags, etc.
5 Cars are getting too expensive to restore to justify it. Mainly because of the labor market.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

drive them while you can.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jan 30 2023, 08:44 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

QUOTE(sixaddict @ Jan 28 2023, 06:26 AM) *

The following is quote from recent Hagerty emailing.
“The collector car market climbed steeply for two years, but may have reached cruising altitude. Data from our various indexes, which track specific vehicle segments, indicate rationality is returning. If you watched recent Mecun auction you’d never know it.
Kind of like real estate in my neighborhood…….market cooled, sellers just don’t know it yet ( or acknowledge it with prices). Probably accurate from watching things hang around longer.
There’s more extensive information in the article this was just the tease.
For what it’s worth.

I'm seeing this all over Porscheland, everyone is telling me the high prices from several years ago, but these prices don't reflect today's reality. I recently had this happen with a family who was selling their dad's car. They said, "Daddy said it was worth XXX"
I showed them 4 other cars, same model, I had bought in the last 18 months and what they sold for. We were able to come to terms that worked for everyone, but often people hold out for a price they saw on BAT or one they heard about, only to still have their car months later. One of the benefits of being really in tune with the market is you can capitalize on an upward trend because you see it before others do, but the downside is you then have to watch the early, middle, and end of a downward trend, long before anyone knows it's there.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 30 2023, 08:52 AM
Post #17

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

The Barrett/Jackson auction is insanity. 800k+ cars seems like a dime a dozen. 1M is not out of line. Used cars…everyone needs a black 6x6 Range Rover sporting yellow ASBs.
+Quote Post
Bullethead
post Jan 30 2023, 09:00 AM
Post #18

Oil Cooled heart

Member No.: 11,875

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 30 2023, 03:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jan 29 2023, 10:24 PM) *

drive them while you can.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Ditto. Sooner or later we'll all be gone and someone else will have them.
+Quote Post
Unobtanium-inc
post Jan 30 2023, 09:22 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,276

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jan 29 2023, 08:24 PM) *

I'm seeing lots of interest in Porsche from young guys, they tend to buy cars on the rougher side, guys with more ambition than money. I routinely push these guys toward the 914. I tell them they can spend $20,000-25,000 on the worst 356 on the planet or spend the same amount on a 914 and have a lot of fun instantly. Many have taken my advice. But as these same guys make more money they are coming back to buy pricier cars, guys in their 40's and 50's, so not boomers. I don't think we will see another sky rocketing of prices like we saw around 2015, but we aren't going to see any big drops either, I'm seeing more of a leveling off on prices with some backtracks from record highs, but nothing too crazy.
+Quote Post
Lockwodo
post Jan 30 2023, 10:54 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 26,193

I bought my 914 from a millennial. Porsches like 356s, 911s and 914s will continue to have broad appeal. I have several 60's V8 cars and they plateaued some years back. But they sure are fun to drive and maintain.

As wonkipop said, "drive them while you can".
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 01:39 PM