Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Resurrecting a Bumblebee and me, A slackers attempt at keeping Pandora in the box
Cairo94507
post Feb 12 2023, 09:07 AM
Post #41

Michael

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Nice car. Were it mine, I would pull the rocker covers and see what's what. If nothing else, I would want to clean everything up and get any/all the dirt and more out of there. Additionally, if there is rust, I would want to know the extent so I could decide how best to address it.

As for painting the yellow bits, I would shoot them all at the same time- even the rocker covers.

The Bumble Bees are my favorite LE cars. Love the look. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jett
post Feb 12 2023, 10:15 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 12 2023, 07:07 AM) *

Nice car. Were it mine, I would pull the rocker covers and see what's what. If nothing else, I would want to clean everything up and get any/all the dirt and more out of there. Additionally, if there is rust, I would want to know the extent so I could decide how best to address it.

As for painting the yellow bits, I would shoot them all at the same time- even the rocker covers.

The Bumble Bees are my favorite LE cars. Love the look. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+1 most buyers would want to know that the rockers are solid, and the new plastic rivets are identical to the originals. I would also pull the script off and after having the minor parts (door and headlight cover) repainted, would wet sand the car and buff back the paint. I suspect that you will be surprised how well that single stage will come back.

Btw. I need some yellow paint and new script… maybe if you use EuroTech we can split the paint material cost. I can call Mark to ensure he informs the new shop owner of the correct color.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I need the entire car painted
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post Feb 12 2023, 12:05 PM
Post #43

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179
Region Association: North East States

Nice find. I would check the inside of the fuel tank by removing the filler neck and using a flash light. Can't be too sure if the car was sitting all those years. Also spray some fogging oil in the cylinders before cranking it over.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Feb 12 2023, 08:52 PM
Post #44

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Feb 12 2023, 10:05 AM) *

Also spray some fogging oil in the cylinders before cranking it over.

It’s been started and driven many times since it’s deep sleep.

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. Certainly illustrates the difficulty of resisting mission creep. I don’t want to cross the line into restoration but there’s lots of value judgements along the way. Take the rocker covers for example; I recognize the importance of clean rockers but I also don’t want to impair the originality of the rivets on the covers. The battery tray is cleanly intact and the hell hole is very solid. The jack posts are not compromised and viewing the longs and underbody show no signs of problems. So, my educated guess is that if I pulled the rockers I’d see shiny black paint.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 12 2023, 08:58 PM
Post #45

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 12 2023, 06:52 PM) *

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. Certainly illustrates the difficulty of resisting mission creep. I don’t want to cross the line into restoration but there’s lots of value judgements along the way. Take the rocker covers for example; I recognize the importance of clean rockers but I also don’t want to impair the originality of the rivets on the covers. The battery tray is cleanly intact and the hell hole is very solid. The jack posts are not compromised and viewing the longs and underbody show no signs of problems. So, my educated guess is that if I pulled the rockers I’d see shiny black paint.

Nothing precious or sacred about common aluminum rivets, especially when the health of structural elements are unknown. I encourage you to R/R the rivets and confirm if those screws into the chassis bottom below can be removed. They are known to rust in place.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Feb 12 2023, 09:28 PM
Post #46

914 Neferati

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Feb 12 2023, 06:58 PM) *

Nothing precious or sacred about common aluminum rivets, especially when the health of structural elements are unknown. I encourage you to R/R the rivets and confirm if those screws into the chassis bottom below can be removed. They are known to rust in place.

Makes sense. It can’t hurt to post pics after I wax the longs. If the longs are as nice as I think they are it would only ad to the value.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 13 2023, 12:44 AM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Feb 12 2023, 09:28 PM) *

Makes sense. It can’t hurt to post pics after I wax the longs. If the longs are as nice as I think they are it would only ad to the value.

it was in hawaii. may not be salt on the roads but a sh$tload in the atmosphere coming off the spray at pipeline and mr lightning bolt/late take-offs tail fin. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
best to have a peek in there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
altitude411
post Mar 5 2023, 10:22 PM
Post #48

I drove my 6 into a tree

Member No.: 17,932
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

*Subscribed* Thanks for the link Marc. Very cool project and looking forward to see where it leads. Also, next time thru Montana give some notice and dinners on me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914werke
post Mar 6 2023, 09:59 AM
Post #49

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

Nothing precious or sacred about common aluminum rivets, I encourage you to R/R the rivets .

There are no aluminum rivets on 914 rocker(s)?
if you have have any it means the outer rockers have been off prior & the PO didn't but them back on with the correct OE plastic rivets.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Mar 6 2023, 10:09 AM
Post #50

914 Wiring Harnesses

QUOTE(914werke @ Mar 6 2023, 07:59 AM) *

Nothing precious or sacred about common aluminum rivets, I encourage you to R/R the rivets .

if you have have any it means the outer rockers have been off prior & the PO didn't but them back on with the correct OE plastic rivets.

The plastic rivets are on the upper threshold plates. Clear or black depending on year.

Mill finish aluminum rivets were factory stock on the 'rocker panels'.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Mar 6 2023, 10:12 AM
Post #51

914 Neferati

QUOTE(altitude411 @ Mar 5 2023, 08:22 PM) *

*Subscribed* Thanks for the link Marc. Very cool project and looking forward to see where it leads. Also, next time thru Montana give some notice and dinners on me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

That invite sounds good Keith. I've even had my 914 in Montana for some epic drives. Maybe we could even drive down and rattle @bbrock 's cage.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914werke
post Mar 6 2023, 10:17 AM
Post #52

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Mar 6 2023, 08:09 AM) *

QUOTE(914werke @ Mar 6 2023, 07:59 AM) *

NOPE (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Mar 6 2023, 11:28 AM
Post #53

914 Neferati

In true slacker fashion, I haven't updated my progress in the last few weeks. Not only has it been hectic with medical appointments and an epic road trip to Colorado, but I can't seem to get my photo app to perform the way it previously did.

I have successfully removed the bumper top with all studs intact. Huzzah!

Attached Image

I've completed the first phase of cleaning the interior, which consisted of clearing out all the debris from 35 years of sitting. That also included visors, driver's door storage box, coco mats, busted inside mirror and assorted screws, bolts and fuses left in the console storage box.

I've taken pics of the aluminum rivets in the rocker covers and the newly separated bumper top, but alas I can't seem to post them at present. I know, I know, if there's no picture it didn't happen. You'll just have to wait til I get it figured out.

Trust me...lots of foolish people have. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Mar 6 2023, 11:35 AM
Post #54

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

Glad you are on the mend along with the Bumble Bee!

Yes, pictures, especially of the interior after some cleaning. If I remember correctly, I couldn't find one popped stitch or crack anyplace.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Mar 6 2023, 11:37 AM
Post #55

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 6 2023, 09:28 AM) *
I've taken pecs of the aluminum rivets in the rocker covers and the newly separated bumper top, but alas I can't seem to post them at present.
Trust me...lots of foolish people have. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) Ok call me foolish if you will, @dr914@autoatlanta.com George care to chime in?
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Mar 6 2023, 11:50 AM
Post #56

914 Neferati

QUOTE(914werke @ Mar 6 2023, 09:37 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 6 2023, 09:28 AM) *
I've taken pecs of the aluminum rivets in the rocker covers and the newly separated bumper top, but alas I can't seem to post them at present.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) Ok call me foolish if you will, @dr914@autoatlanta.com George care to chime in?

Ok, you’re foolish, but I promise it’s true: bare aluminum rivets on both sides holding the covers on. Strangely, the threshold plates are secured by Phillips screws, but they show signs of being turned at some time. Once again, pics to follow.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Mar 6 2023, 12:10 PM
Post #57

914 Wiring Harnesses

Ok Rich, tell me what you know. What I know is that the photo below shows aluminum rivets (with a peculiar head shape not available in todays marketplace from any place that I have found anyway) in the 'rocker panels' and black plastic riviets in the threshold plate as correct for a 1974 car. i *think* the clear plastic rivets are for 1973 and earlier cars.

Car acquired with ~40Kmi from the orig owner who told me the rocker panels had never been removed. VIN 4742914536

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Mar 6 2023, 08:52 PM
Post #58

914 Neferati

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Mar 6 2023, 10:10 AM) *

Ok Rich, tell me what you know. What I know is that the photo below shows aluminum rivets (with a peculiar head shape not available in todays marketplace from any place that I have found anyway) in the 'rocker panels' and black plastic riviets in the threshold plate as correct for a 1974 car. i *think* the clear plastic rivets are for 1973 and earlier cars.

Car acquired with ~40Kmi from the orig owner who told me the rocker panels had never been removed.

Mine look just like Jeff's:

Attached Image

Question?: If there is no precise replacement for the rivets, what is the preferred fastener?
+Quote Post
914werke
post Mar 6 2023, 09:10 PM
Post #59

The OE fastener is the Plastic rivet also used on the threshold.
I looked for an isolated image I may have taken of my car but didnt find one.
Id take one post it, but car is remote.

Perhaps this will help -
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Mar 6 2023, 09:38 PM
Post #60

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Of course, for owners not pursuing concours restorations, screws make it easier to pull the outer rockers for cleaning.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:56 AM