Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Requesting help in NE Georgia, Need help installing targa top side and front seals
Musicboxer
post Feb 22 2023, 06:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,124
Region Association: None

Hi folks,
I am located in Northeast Georgia, about an hour northeast from Atlanta. Got my car in November and since then have been trying to refurbish it and get it to where it is reliable and safe as possible. I have tried to install the targa side seals (at top of windows) and the front targa seal but I am unable to get the new seals to slide more than a few inches in their channels, even using the recommended silicone grease. Is there anyone out there who has accomplished this and who might be willing to help? I had a major in-stroke a few weeks ago which left my hand weak and difficult to grip.
Thank you.
Musicboxer
Musicboxrestoration@gmail.com
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
hndyhrr
post Feb 22 2023, 08:12 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 16,332
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Musicboxer @ Feb 22 2023, 04:20 PM) *

Hi folks,
I am located in Northeast Georgia, about an hour northeast from Atlanta. Got my car in November and since then have been trying to refurbish it and get it to where it is reliable and safe as possible. I have tried to install the targa side seals (at top of windows) and the front targa seal but I am unable to get the new seals to slide more than a few inches in their channels, even using the recommended silicone grease. Is there anyone out there who has accomplished this and who might be willing to help? I had a major in-stroke a few weeks ago which left my hand weak and difficult to grip.
Thank you.
Musicboxer
Musicboxrestoration@gmail.com

Here is a video It is for installing all targa seals but just skip through til you find what you need. I could not get them to pull. I put one side in and then had to use a flat screw driver (very carefully) to push the onther side in. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uc6zbCNYQA&t=240s
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 23 2023, 11:40 AM
Post #3

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Go and buy a bottle (NOT capsules) of Glycerin at your drugstore. Put it on the trim that holds the seals and the seal portion. A great water soluble lube that won’t harm the seals or paint. Go slow on sliding the seals in. Push then straighten. If you pull the seals in the seals will stretch. Do not trim anything until the seals recover. Take the top into a warm area while the seals recover. Don’t be in a rush.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Feb 23 2023, 03:17 PM
Post #4

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

DO NOT PULL THE TARGA TO WINDOW SEALS THROUGH
Install them from the side pushing the outside edge in 1st.

They will “shrink”

Here’s my write up
https://914rubber-tk.com/doku.php?id=targa_..._to_window_seal
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 10:08 AM