Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Help! no start after reinstalling motor - 2 issues, distributor drive gear off 180? WTF? how’d it happen ans how to correct?
DRPHIL914
post Feb 25 2023, 09:52 AM
Post #1

Dr. Phil

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

75 2.0 d-jet, 2500 miles on a new motor(2056) - was running perfectly but had a RMS leak, pulled it to get this sorted.

Ok short story is, pulled motor to do RMS and push rod tube seals, so everything came off the motor, everything reinstalled last week but no-start and also second issue is it’s not holding fuel pressure either(it was before- i have a gauge in line) .
Came out this morning to check fuel lines, made sure the supply line was correctly labeled, which if it had been backward might have explained the pressure dropping so fast. that’s correct . went to try and fire it up and cranks fine but no sign of trying to fire, then POP! backfire! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) now i had pulled the 123igniton distributor to pull the tin, but had left the distributor clamp in the same position didn’t loosen it, so when i reinstalled it i just dropped in into place and tightened down the retaining nut. i had no reason to suspect that it wasn’t lined up, how would that happen? so after the back fire i went to first thing check TDC and distributor alignment, and at TDC(verified by fan mark and red mark on flywheel(red mark is up, the added scratch/white mark on opposite side is seen on bottom)

question one is am i missing something, am i looking at it correctly?
2. how’d it get flipped -180??
3. new injectors too but what else would cause my loss of fuel pressure? the regulator was brand mew 2 years ago and it aloways maintained pressure before i pulled the motor.
oh- yes i had SS lines in tunnel, i did just put on all new lines in back at motor, - there are no leaks.
my thought is- ok new SMP FJ-67 injectors are leaking? sudden failure of the regulator? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
i’ll post a few pictures , showing align of the fan and flywheel and distributor.
- open to suggestions, thoughts, theory’s, comments , constructive criticism lol.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 10:49 AM