Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1970 914 with 3.2ss, Just received my new 914
VaccaRabite
post Mar 11 2023, 11:04 AM
Post #21

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mate914 @ Mar 11 2023, 11:47 AM) *

I am hoping to get a north east ramble up here in the mountains.. Where we can drive and not see a red light or highway all day.
Let me know if your making a trip up sometime.

Matt

I'd show for that. Its a beautiful area! Last time I was up was 2017. Its getting harder and harder to get the family reunions going. You pretty much need to make reservations at any of the cottages in December/January or earlier these days.

Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mate914
post Mar 11 2023, 11:18 AM
Post #22

Matt

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,102
Region Association: North East States

Attached Image Attached Image
Two. Random pictures from the museum.
Matt
+Quote Post
flyer86d
post Mar 11 2023, 03:29 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 12,585

That must be a hoot to drive! Who cares about gearing with a Ss 3.2!

Charlie
+Quote Post
mate914
post Mar 11 2023, 03:51 PM
Post #24

Matt

QUOTE(flyer86d @ Mar 11 2023, 04:29 PM) *

That must be a hoot to drive! Who cares about gearing with a Ss 3.2!

Charlie

It is slightly more than a hoot. Purrs like a kitten at idle and screams like a mountain lion 6k… I will try recording a cold start.
Matt
+Quote Post
mate914
post Mar 12 2023, 04:13 PM
Post #25

Matt

Removed the cage and racing seats. Original floors are in incredible condition. Very little rust. Most cars on the East Coast have floor pans that are rusted out. Fortunately this car came out of Arizona in 1998. Still has the tabs for the carpets.Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mate914
post Mar 12 2023, 04:20 PM
Post #26

Matt

Ultimately, I’m working on making the car inspectable. I have everything under control except for the emergency brake. I’m not 100% sure how to do it. I have read several threads on how to do it and feel confident I can do it. With the car being a high horsepower 3.2 short stroke, I think I need to keep the rear brakes as they are or even upgrade to Boxster. Right now it has the brembo aluminum from an alpha.?
Any in sight would be helpful.

Matt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
mate914
post Mar 12 2023, 04:23 PM
Post #27

Matt

The car does have some history.Attached Image
+Quote Post
TomE
post Mar 13 2023, 11:37 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 23,839
Region Association: None

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Mar 11 2023, 10:33 AM) *

@mate914

I used to spend a lot of time up at Eagles Mere - and my family has been summering there off and on for over 100 years. My recollection is that the Eagles Mere Association was... strict; and if they could block or bar someone from doing something they did. Have they given you grief over restoring cars? I've been close to buying property there twice now and decided against it over concerns with my hobbies.

Zach In the borough of Eagles Mere you don't even want to have grass that needs cut so no car parts laying around. In Shrewsbury TWP that borders the town you will get dirty looks but not much they can do. Matt and I drive our cars through town and up around the lake several times in the summer. Lots of waves and smiles. The two men who own the Eagles Mere Inn are also the two that own the car and air plane museum. Everyone that is anyone eats at the Eagles Mere Inn. My daughter, Matts sister is a waitress there and my next door neighbor has been their head cook for several years now. We have one red light in the entire county and that is 16 miles away so lots of nice mountain driving.

+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 13 2023, 12:18 PM
Post #29

En Garde!

Member No.: 1,435

QUOTE(TomE @ Mar 13 2023, 01:37 PM) *

Zach In the borough of Eagles Mere you don't even want to have grass that needs cut so no car parts laying around. In Shrewsbury TWP that borders the town you will get dirty looks but not much they can do. Matt and I drive our cars through town and up around the lake several times in the summer. Lots of waves and smiles. The two men who own the Eagles Mere Inn are also the two that own the car and air plane museum. Everyone that is anyone eats at the Eagles Mere Inn. My daughter, Matts sister is a waitress there and my next door neighbor has been their head cook for several years now. We have one red light in the entire county and that is 16 miles away so lots of nice mountain driving.

This is what I remember. One of the cabins we used to rent got barred for 5-10 years of any rentals after they cut down two trees to have a better view of the lake. Another owner was complaining of fines they incurred while fixing water damage. As nice as it is in Eagles Mere proper, the township seems to be somewhat difficult.

But you don't have to go far down the mountain before you start seeing detached garages. I should get back in touch with Robin realty and see what's what these days. One of the dumbest things I have done was passing on a 40acre plot on the Loyalsock, but this was 2009, the market had crashed, and our first kid was just an infant. Man I wish I had just bought that land!

I've had many meals at the Eagles Mere Inn over the years, all of them were fantastic.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1678731503.1.jpg)

When I get the new motor in my car (sometime before Hershey) I'd be up for a longish shakedown cruise up to the Lake.

Zach
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 13 2023, 01:09 PM
Post #30

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(mate914 @ Mar 12 2023, 06:20 PM) *

Ultimately, I’m working on making the car inspectable. I have everything under control except for the emergency brake. I’m not 100% sure how to do it. I have read several threads on how to do it and feel confident I can do it. With the car being a high horsepower 3.2 short stroke, I think I need to keep the rear brakes as they are or even upgrade to Boxster. Right now it has the brembo aluminum from an alpha.?

HP has nothing to do with braking. Only mass and velocity. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mate914
post Mar 13 2023, 02:15 PM
Post #31

Matt

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 13 2023, 03:09 PM) *

QUOTE(mate914 @ Mar 12 2023, 06:20 PM) *

HP has nothing to do with braking. Only mass and velocity. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Then it needs no more breaking power. It only needs to be inspectable, that requires an emergency brake. Looks like I will keep the Brembo aluminum’s on the back and go for early. 911 emergency brake.
Matt
+Quote Post
gnomefabtech
post Mar 13 2023, 06:51 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 27,063

I just did the 911 ebrake swap on my 73. You can buy the backing plates shoes and hardware all new. You will have to grind on your control arms a bit to get the backing plates on there but it's not very hard. Use a VW bus parking brake cable to extend your cables. You end up with something like this.

+Quote Post
mate914
post Mar 13 2023, 07:08 PM
Post #33

Matt

QUOTE(gnomefabtech @ Mar 13 2023, 08:51 PM) *

I just did the 911 ebrake swap on my 73. You can buy the backing plates shoes and hardware all new. You will have to grind on your control arms a bit to get the backing plates on there but it's not very hard. Use a VW bus parking brake cable to extend your cables. You end up with something like this.

That looks nice. Can I please ask who you use for vendor?
+Quote Post
gnomefabtech
post Mar 13 2023, 08:22 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 27,063

I think the hardware and shoes came from Stoddard. The backing plates were from ebay but I think they were new. You also need to add a bit to the backing plate to keep the shoes from spinning around. This was what I did here.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
mb911
post Mar 14 2023, 05:21 AM
Post #35

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Awesome looking. Let me know if you need engine sheet metal. I got a fresh supply of laser cuts.
+Quote Post
TomE
post Mar 14 2023, 07:06 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 23,839

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Mar 13 2023, 12:18 PM) *

QUOTE(TomE @ Mar 13 2023, 01:37 PM) *

This is what I remember. One of the cabins we used to rent got barred for 5-10 years of any rentals after they cut down two trees to have a better view of the lake. Another owner was complaining of fines they incurred while fixing water damage. As nice as it is in Eagles Mere proper, the township seems to be somewhat difficult.

But you don't have to go far down the mountain before you start seeing detached garages. I should get back in touch with Robin realty and see what's what these days. One of the dumbest things I have done was passing on a 40acre plot on the Loyalsock, but this was 2009, the market had crashed, and our first kid was just an infant. Man I wish I had just bought that land!

I've had many meals at the Eagles Mere Inn over the years, all of them were fantastic.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-1435-1678731503.1.jpg)

When I get the new motor in my car (sometime before Hershey) I'd be up for a longish shakedown cruise up to the Lake.

Zach
Let us know and we will join you for part of the ride. If you are spending the night Eagles Mere Inn most likely won't be open. They have to remove asbestos siding so they are closed for March and April. Down the mountain though is the Sonestown Country Inn. Rooms are reasonable and the owner is a good guy. You should check out our garage while you are here.
+Quote Post
mate914
post Mar 14 2023, 10:22 AM
Post #37

Matt

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 14 2023, 07:21 AM) *

Awesome looking. Let me know if you need engine sheet metal. I got a fresh supply of laser cuts.

I already have a set from you and will be going on first thing. Thank you.
Where are you with making the gt oil lines? I could use them soonish.
Matt
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 14 2023, 11:12 AM
Post #38

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(gnomefabtech @ Mar 13 2023, 09:22 PM) *

I think the hardware and shoes came from Stoddard. The backing plates were from ebay but I think they were new. You also need to add a bit to the backing plate to keep the shoes from spinning around. This was what I did here.

Attached Image

The brake backing plate is not substantial enough to use for the shoe stop. It would be fine if you are just using it for a "park" brake, but if you try to use it when the car is in motion at any speed, you are going to rip the shoes off of it and tear up the backing plate. You should use a big piece of angle iron welded directly to the trailing arm.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 02:46 PM