Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FS 1973 914 2.0L $40k, OEM spec
pjv914
post Mar 9 2023, 05:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,101
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I am selling my 1973 914 2.0L. Here is a google drive album with a history of my 914, receipts, photos, and a walk-around video of it idling. I took photos of the underside in my garage, and will try to get it on a lift this weekend to get better photos of the underside.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jett
post Mar 9 2023, 06:08 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 17,686

Love the color.

I cannot speak to the value of your car but the comparisons may not reflect the actual market prices. Here is what has sold on BAT, which IMO has the highest on average sale prices.

https://bringatrailer.com/auctions/results/?search=1973+914
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Mar 9 2023, 06:24 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,961
Region Association: South East States

While the actual price seems high………rationalizing it as you have seems questionable……
My only comment is asking price has no relationship to sale price.
As the saying goes “where the rubber meets the road”.
Just my 2 cents ……which is worth exactly that!
+Quote Post
rjames
post Mar 9 2023, 06:48 PM
Post #4

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467

Edited my post after seeing that you didn't explicitly ask for input on what your car was worth.

Get photos of the longs, too. That'll help (or hurt) your asking price.

GLWTS
+Quote Post
mikea100
post Mar 9 2023, 08:17 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 11,182
Region Association: North East States

Crack pipe pricing!!!
+Quote Post
Stingbee
post Mar 9 2023, 08:44 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 21,076
Region Association: None

QUOTE(pjv914 @ Mar 9 2023, 03:04 PM) *

I am selling my 1973 914 2.0L. I am seeing prices all over the board for 914s. Here is a google drive photo with a history of my 914, receipts, photos, and a walk-around video of it idling. I still need to put it on a lift and get photos underneath to show the lack of rust, all the ones I see online have a lot of rust on the underside, my car has basically none. Based on the comparable cars, I am thinking in the neighborhood of $45k may make sense.

Comparable cars I was looking at:

This one has more rust and hasn't had the work done mine has for ~20k.

This one looks to be in similar condition to mine, except underneath it is apparent it has a lot more rust, again doesn't appear to be rebuilt, it has been converted to carburetors, and the shocks are obviously old for $43k.

This one seems questionable, not a lot of photos, engine bay picture looks pretty suspicious, interior carpet is odd for $22k.

This one looks most comparable to my car, although the paint looks a bit nicer, it has definitely been modified with the radio, speakers, and battery relocation (probably a rusted out hell hole), and the underside is much more rusty than my car for $40k.

Wow GLWS...IMHO I think you need to go to BAT if you're asking that kind of price for your car...My listed Sunflower 76 is basically completely rust free as well, except for some minor hellhole corrosion that was caught early and could be repaired easily enough; but I've found it unnecessary to repair here in our dry-as-a-bone California environment. It's structurally solid...Maybe I should list mine for twice the price? lol I don't want the ridiculous hassle of going to BAT, too many so-called experts picking your car to pieces there..GLWS
+Quote Post
pjv914
post Mar 9 2023, 09:10 PM
Post #7

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Yes true, anyone can ask any price when selling something, the sale price is definitely what really matters! After my dad and I have been holding on to this car for a combined 49 years, I’d rather start on the high of what it may be worth and reason my way down to a true value, then put it out there for 20k.
I’ve never sold a 1973 914, or really any vintage car before, so I am proceeding cautiously which I hope you can understand even if it seems like a ‘crack pipe price’. I’m watching an auction of a reasonably comparable car on BAT and will utilize the sale price tool that was linked also- that’s brilliant. I’m not trying to get rich selling my 914 but I don’t want to give it away either and it may take me some time for me to learn the market and calibrate on its true value, so thank you again for pointing me towards a tool to help do that.
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Mar 9 2023, 09:16 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 15,610

Your car looks pretty solid! However it needs a repaint and body repair so that will really hit your price hard. At the price you want buyers will expect a very presentable exterior. I see this as getting maybe 30k on BAT but probably more like 22k.
+Quote Post
pjv914
post Mar 9 2023, 09:42 PM
Post #9

Good point on buyers at the higher end price point looking for a presentable exterior. The black hood is a detractor from that. I wonder how much, if at all, the 914 market has moved over time? Edit: Ah, I saw you can filter the historical sale data by date. Answered my own question through data.

I did a quick look on this forum and see a post quoting 5-6k for a driver quality repaint of a 914 (post from 2017 so probly a bit higher cost than that by now). I am going to think about if it may be worth to get my car repainted prior to selling it.
+Quote Post
HansJan
post Mar 9 2023, 10:40 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 19,860
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hello,

I just sold my 914 on BAT.
It’s a little bit of a hassle, but still a good platform.
Don’t worry about ‘experts’ providing comments.
As long as you are transparent buyers will appreciated what you have to sell.

There are also real experts commenting, including 914world regulars.

I went to BAT because I understand that selling on 914World would only expose it to people like myself. Do-It-Yourselfer that is used to get parts at low cost (it took me 6 months before deciding to purchase the Tangerine cable linkage). Ferrari and 911 buyer's are passed that.

From what I understand my (French) buyer is purchasing multiple nice cars every few months. Looks like my 914 was merely a stocking stuffer to fill a container.

Ps: I loved my old 914. Reason for selling….. I’m picking up an original 6 this spring.
+Quote Post
Jett
post Mar 9 2023, 10:53 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(pjv914 @ Mar 9 2023, 07:42 PM) *

Good point on buyers at the higher end price point looking for a presentable exterior. The black hood is a detractor from that. I wonder how much, if at all, the 914 market has moved over time? Edit: Ah, I saw you can filter the historical sale data by date. Answered my own question through data.

I did a quick look on this forum and see a post quoting 5-6k for a driver quality repaint of a 914 (post from 2017 so probly a bit higher cost than that by now). I am going to think about if it may be worth to get my car repainted prior to selling it.

I hear that the new owner of EuroTech in Kirkland does good work on 914’s, but unless you are going to keep it, might consider just fixing the hole and color matching the hood as best you can to get it sold.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 10 2023, 08:04 AM
Post #12

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I do think that is a solid, desirable car based upon the provided photos. I think price is high, but it's a starting point. Looks to me that the seller is a reasonable guy, trying to be open and honest about his car. I wish him good luck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Jett
post Mar 10 2023, 09:33 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 10 2023, 06:04 AM) *

I do think that is a solid, desirable car based upon the provided photos. I think price is high, but it's a starting point. Looks to me that the seller is a reasonable guy, trying to be open and honest about his car. I wish him good luck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+1 I saw this car up close several times and was interested because we have the same car/color but ours is highly restored. Before the work described was done I offered $15K or at least told Chris to convey, but said that the owner refused.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 10 2023, 09:44 AM
Post #14

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Jett @ Mar 10 2023, 10:33 AM) *

+1 I saw this car up close several times and was interested because we have the same car/color but ours is highly restored. Before the work described was done I offered $15K or at least told Chris to convey, but said that the owner refused.

That’s around what I would guess on price
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Mar 10 2023, 09:51 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

I've been in the car repair world for 4 decades and for the general population exterior appearance is everything. If it looks great, then the whole car is great!

A used car lot will spend $500 on a high-class detail but they will not spend anything on mechanicals.

A true enthusiast will look closer because beauty is only skin deep, but that same enthusiast knows what it takes to properly paint a 50-year-old car and the amount they are willing to pay will reflect that knowledge.

I would put "new paint" at 10K and you're doing most of the work yourself.
Having someone else do it all 15-20K depending on what it really needs.

Having any metal replaced just adds to this figure...

The high-end dip it, seal it, fix metal, rotisserie type restoration is easily double/triple that amount for just the body.

Those 40K cars on BAT most likely were money losers for the owners and the comments commonly show that.
+Quote Post
BillJ
post Mar 10 2023, 11:46 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 15,610

I sold my 75 on BAT last year for $38k but paint was pretty clean and I had gone through the mechanicals and refreshed the interior. Extremely limited rust and the heat exchangers were perfect as well. Brand new stainless steel backdated bumpers and tops. I was hoping for better but not unhappy with that result. I also think the market is softer this year.
+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Mar 10 2023, 01:11 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 9,961
Region Association: South East States

Just a comment on price of paint job.
Since price of material went up due to the infamous supply chain issues……you are looking at 15-17 for a quality job and higher in some areas of the country.
Material costs have skyrocketed and everyone is taking advantage of “ inflation” in bumping prices….(just sayin).
So if paint is needed you probably should recognize that cost.
Still decent market …..just not as crazy as it was IMHO.
+Quote Post
pjv914
post Mar 12 2023, 01:27 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Jett @ Mar 10 2023, 07:33 AM) *

Haha I would've been better off selling it to you for 15k before getting any work done to it! Well, financially anyway. The entire reason why I got the car running is so I could drive it, it was important to me as my dad bought this car when he graduated high school and loved it, so I wanted to have that experience to better connect with my dad.

Yeah that restored delphi green 914 at chris' shop was an absolute beauty.
+Quote Post
pjv914
post Mar 12 2023, 01:30 PM
Post #19

I submitted a request to BAT to list my 914 there- am currently waiting to hear back from them. In the meantime, I took it out for a spin today since it is clear and dry- it is definitely a fun little buggy, and it sounds great! The gearbox is quite satisfying, it shifts so smooth and 2-5 as the H always encourage me to grab another gear...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I'll think about inquiring with EuroTech about a hood spray and fixing the body, thank you for that advice!
+Quote Post
Jett
post Mar 12 2023, 04:35 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(pjv914 @ Mar 12 2023, 11:27 AM) *

QUOTE(Jett @ Mar 10 2023, 07:33 AM) *

Haha I would've been better off selling it to you for 15k before getting any work done to it! Well, financially anyway. The entire reason why I got the car running is so I could drive it, it was important to me as my dad bought this car when he graduated high school and loved it, so I wanted to have that experience to better connect with my dad.

Yeah that restored delphi green 914 at chris' shop was an absolute beauty.

Makes perfect sense!

Wish you the best of luck!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:39 PM