Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> need some help with floor plan fix, peeling the coating, POR15, etc
914 RZ-1
post Mar 19 2023, 03:53 PM
Post #21

Porsche Padawan

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,230
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 19 2023, 10:47 AM) *

In my opinion, you’re over thinking it.

It’s all under carpet. No one sees it.

Don’t sweat a little paint or POR wicking into a sheet metal seam or under the tar. The tar sucks and is basically a place where rust begins to grow under it. No matter what you do short of removing it all, it’s not going to look pretty.

As far as paint, you could leave as just POR (no UV exposure). If you want to paint over POR, it gets trickier - spray paint mist will drift and get on carpet and interior. For a quick fix, you would be better off using a brush. At that point I come back to just leave the POR.

What type of paint? 2k epoxy/urethane would be great but it’s pricy. A decent single stage enamel over the POR and/or seam sealer would be fine. Find what you can at FLAPS or get a pint of paint mixed from local PPG distributor if you want to try to color match. But again no one sees it under carpet.

Sounds like I really don't need to paint over the POR15, then. That's what I really wanted to know. No way would I use spray paint for the reasons you point out; I'd brush something on.

I even thought I might put some gray house paint over it, just to cover it, but since this seems unnecessary, I won't do that.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rjames
post Mar 19 2023, 04:11 PM
Post #22

I'm made of metal

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

POR15 gets a bad rap. I suppose YMMV could vary, but if you follow their directions, it should work. I’ve only had great experiences with it, but I also followed their directions to the letter.
I painted my floor pans with it 16 years ago after stripping the tar off and removing all surface rust, and then treating as directed with metal ready before applying. The pan looks exactly the same now as they did when the self-leveling paint dried.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:55 PM