Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> AAA DON’T count on it!, Ha ha, being left by the side of the road 18 hours!
mgphoto
post Mar 18 2023, 09:01 PM
Post #1

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,225
Region Association: Southern California

Got stuck today on a ride from San Fernando to Venture.
Blowing fuses for the fuel pump.
Called AAA at 12:30 pm from Main Street in Ventura. You have to have a flatbed truck to tow, ok, you have to wait till 4pm. What the F***.
Send a regular truck, sorry it will damage the car. It hasn’t happened in the past when I’ve had it towed.

5pm on the phone with a supervisor, we don’t have the equipment, tow company said nobody wants to drive 50 miles to LA from Ventura.

They found a driver but doesn’t take passengers! That’s ok with you right? FU!

We can have someone there at 8am Sunday morning!

WTF never had an issue like this after 13 years a member, will not be a member for 14.

I counted on them being there, crawled under there car, found the problem, fixed in 10 minutes, Saturday night insurance jobs are to important to miss out on.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Mar 19 2023, 05:35 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Quit years ago when I lived in Houston area. They only towed for 3 miles, after that the rest of the trip was on you, worthless to me.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 19 2023, 05:48 AM
Post #3

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

I don't have AAA. I have never been a member. I have a truck and a trailer. If the 914 breaks, we get the trailer and bring it home.

I do the same for all my friends with 914s too.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/Trailer.jpg)

Now if the tow vehicle breaks down, I have to call a tow service. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 19 2023, 06:17 AM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

For us, it’s paid off many times. Wife locked her keys in the car - more than once.
Dead batteries- more than once.
Daughter got a flat tire.
Etc.
Even used it twice on my 914 when fuel pump quit and master cylinder took a dump.
When my kids were 500 miles away, a phone call to aaa was a lot easier than a truck and trailer.

I’m not selling it to anyone, it just works for us.

I’m sure areas like LA are a completely different issue for service.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 19 2023, 07:35 AM
Post #5

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I feel your pain. I had a coil die (right? when has that ever happened?) on Highway 5, about 9 miles south of Harris Ranch (MMMMMmm!) in 108 degree heat at 11:30 am. I have AAA 200 mile tow service. My home was 190 miles away- so should be good.

Call AAA and give them my exact location, mile marker, between exit XXX and exit YYY on northbound Highway 5 just south of junction XXX by 10 miles. I get a text message 2.5 hours later that the AAA truck is up in Redding CA (Northern CA) trying to find us. I call in and they apologize and say they made a mistake. Now they tell me they may have a truck to us in 6 hours. I tell her my brother and I are both senior citizens (Q-tips) and it is 108 degrees with no shade. We are slowly being baked. They find a truck and tell me 1 hour. I confirm it is a flatbed for low vehicles. They say that is all they use.

Truck arrives and it is a flatbed. The kid that jumps out looks like he just robbed a convenience store in Compton.... OK, maybe he knows his job. He immediately backs up to front of my car and starts to lower his deck. I stop him and walk him around the car, just fully restored, not a scratch or ding on it. He says "No problem". As he gets the deck lower and closer I tell him it appears it will hit the valance. I ask if he has any 2x6 scraps of wood or anything we can roll the car up on to ease the transition to the deck. He says, "Nope". Proceeds the slam the deck right into the valance- damaging it pretty good. Then he stops and says he will go get his low-haul truck. He never returns. I call his office from the number on the truck and a guy answers and says he refuses to haul my car as it is highly modified. I tell him it is a stock car, lowered 1"- nothing more. He refuses to return.

We ended up calling a friend of my brothers who owns a tow company and he immediately got in his truck and drove 2 hours to come get us. Loaded the car without touching it in 5 minutes and drove us home.

AAA ended up covering the $900 tow bill and approximately $3,000 for the damage to my valance.

The private hauler we used said he used to work for AAA but they have reduced their rates to the point it was not worth driving a truck. That is why you can not get a tow truck when you need one, according to him. I believe him. Based upon that experience, I have now added tow strap tie downs on my car in the event we need to tow it again, to try to minimize the damage potential. What else can you do? We drive my car and it is not uncommon to take it on 200+ mile trips from home. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 19 2023, 08:03 AM
Post #6

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

Even though I’m sure aaa advertises they can service any car, they are probably not a good fit for our 914’s or anything out of the ordinary. No issues with my daughters 2009 Honda crv. There’s too many dents and dings to even tell… but my 912-6 will have fiberglass bumpers and an aluminum hood. I wouldn’t let them touch that car.

Still, I get it. You buy into a service and count on them to deliver.
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Mar 19 2023, 08:19 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 24,549
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

This is interesting (sad) and probably symptomatic of life and the industry today.
I have seen in many other threads that people mention AAA as the first thing needed for a long trip. Maybe not so much anymore.
But what are the alternatives? Stay close to home? Own and truck and trailer or have a friend that does? Roll the dice? YMMV
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 19 2023, 08:29 AM
Post #8

Michael

Well, fortunately for us, my brother had loaded about 8 bottles of water into the car before we embarked on our trip. Additionally, while we were stranded, a nice CHP officer stopped to check on us. He then went up to the next gas station, about 5 miles up the road and brought us back 2 ice cold 1/2 gallon jugs of water. I paid him and thanked him.

I made sure to write to the CHP Commissioner to let her know what a great officer she had and I was officially thanking him for his service. She acknowledged my letter with one of her own. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 19 2023, 08:33 AM
Post #9

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

I'd love to see a graph of location to satisfaction. I've used AAA a fair bit to move project cars and a couple times to get my E9 when it had issues. I got fabulous service in under the quoted wait time, every time. But as mentioned, I'm in a populated area, close to the tow service bases.
Hope I never have to test them in a remote location.
And worst case, I do have a trailer/tow vehicle. Problem would be, I'd have to get home to get it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
BENBRO02
post Mar 19 2023, 08:48 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 18,493

I use AAA at least once a year and it works great. They don’t have proprietary towing companies so it’s only as good as the towing companies in the area where you use it. I’m pretty sure the same thing would have happened to the original poster whether he had AAA or not. I had my 914 towed to the paint shop using AAA when it was 1/2 apart for painting and then back home. AAA Plus has 100 miles of no additional charge towing available for a little more. The standard membership with 3 miles isn’t enough for me.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Mar 19 2023, 08:49 AM
Post #11

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

been a Member for 25 years, never a problem. Flat-Towed plenty of 914s.

Sorry for your issues
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 19 2023, 08:59 AM
Post #12

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

This guy showed up in time and didn't damage the car.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mgphoto
post Mar 19 2023, 09:31 AM
Post #13

"If there is a mistake it will find me"

Member No.: 10,225

They are calling this morning that they are on the way to provide service.
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Mar 19 2023, 09:49 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 19,709
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Also had AAA for many many years, paid off every year, never had any issues.

I think your problems are L.A. problems, not AAA problems hahaha
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Mar 19 2023, 09:59 AM
Post #15

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 19 2023, 06:48 AM) *

I have a truck and a trailer. If the 914 breaks, we get the trailer and bring it home.

I don't know about you fellas, but I plan on calling Clay next time I break down (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
NARP74
post Mar 19 2023, 10:10 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 24,549
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Mar 19 2023, 09:59 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 19 2023, 06:48 AM) *

I have a truck and a trailer. If the 914 breaks, we get the trailer and bring it home.

I don't know about you fellas, but I plan on calling Clay next time I break down (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Ditto, great service Clay!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 19 2023, 10:30 AM
Post #17

Michael

Another funny AAA story.... back in 2010, after I bought my Six, I wanted to get the entire undercarriage steam cleaned as it was heavy coated in oil and crud- like 1/4" thick. I called AAA to use my 200 mile tow to take it from Alamo to San Jose to a truck steam cleaner that had lifts outside for this purpose.

The AAA truck shows up and I swear to God, the driver gets out and he appears to be in his 70's and has a black (pirate) patch over 1 eye....

My driveway was a very large circular exposed aggregate driveway with a flower bed in the center. My driveway also had an incline as you enter and probably rose about 8' above street level.

I had my Six in the driveway, nose facing the street for an easy pick up. I asked the driver if he would prefer I roll it out into the street for a very easy pick up. He looked at me with his 1 good eye, and said, "I am an expert tow truck operator, been doing this for over 40 years. I can grab that car right were it sits." OK....

He then backs his tow truck into the driveway and promptly right into the flower bed and sinks the whole back of the truck to the axles.... no joke.

It took 2 other tow rigs almost 2 hours to pull him out. I did not say a word to this guy. When the 2 other truck arrived, they laughed the butts off and took a ton of pictures to use at some future date, I am sure.

I felt so bad for the old driver I never said a word to AAA. I was afraid they would just fire the guy. I repaired the destroyed sprinkler lines and replaced the damaged plants on my dime.

Yeah, I have had great luck with AAA..... Still what else can you do?
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Mar 19 2023, 10:39 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

AAA has saved my bum a few times. But the service level I got was wholly dependent on the locals within the network that responded.

Many/most classic car insurance offers recovery services as part of the policy (they certainly don't want you abandoning your car on a highway). But I'd imagine the local response teams are similar if not identical. - GA

EDIT: plus, I get 5-15% discount on NAPA parts with a AAA card...and they do on-site CT driver's license renewals...that pays for the membership all by itself.
+Quote Post
slivel
post Mar 19 2023, 10:42 AM
Post #19

Old car....... older driver

Member No.: 2,332

Little known fact: The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) provides roadside assistance for its members. When I was still racing and was towing my 914 in a 20 foot enclosed trailer, I needed coverage to include my tow vehicle and my trailer. AAA offered this coverage for a premium but since I was already a member of AMA and discovered that their roadside (towing) coverage included 5 vehicles - motorcycles, cars trucks trailers and RV's I just went with them. The annual membership fee is a lot less than buying AAA optional coverage.
This is a cut and paste from their site:

Protecting AMA Members On The Open Road
Whether AMA members opt for the no-cost standard roadside assistance program or purchase the upgraded Roadside Assistance Plus coverage, they can ride and drive worry free knowing that the AMA and its partner providers have their back.

Who’s Eligible?
All AMA members in good standing are eligible for the Roadside Assistance program.* But coverage is not automatic. You must take some simple steps to be covered.

What’s Covered
There are two levels of roadside assistance coverage available through the AMA:

Standard Roadside Assistance
Roadside Assistance Plus
For details, see additional terms below, but in general here are how the programs differ.

Standard Roadside Assistance includes unlimited service calls a year for covered motorcycles. Up to three service calls a year may be placed for covered non-motorcycle vehicles in your household. Coverage is limited to a total of five vehicles, including motorcycles. Covered vehicles include motorcycles, cars, trucks, trailers and RVs. It does not cover commercial vehicles or commercial trailers.

Roadside Assistance Plus includes unlimited service calls a year for all vehicles registered to your household. It includes motorcycles, cars, trucks, trailers and RVs. It does not cover commercial vehicles or commercial trailers.
+Quote Post
Steve
post Mar 19 2023, 10:51 AM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 822

Don’t confuse LA with Ventura. Ventura is north of LA. I live in so cal and have used AAA plenty of times for my daughter and her boy friend in LA / North Hollywood and my family in south Orange County and everywhere in between. It’s when you get into remote areas that the tow truck drivers don’t want to deal with additional travel. Except for waiting a couple of hours for them to show up, I have been pretty lucky so far.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:46 AM