Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> turn signals, not working
obro150
post May 1 2023, 06:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,364
Region Association: None

My turn signals on my 71 914 werent working properly. I was thinking loose bulb as both sides were kind of working. After a bit they just quit, there was no clicking from the flasher relay. Since it was original to the car, it was a Hella unit ,I purchased a new Uro flasher. After plugging it in I still had nothing. I could ground my test light to either of the plugged in flashers and it would click and light up my test light. When the key is off, if the signal lever is engaged the turn signal lights will turn on, not flashing. Where do I go from here?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post May 1 2023, 08:15 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Not certain but early 70-72 relays have a different part number. Not sure they are interchangeable with later one. Yes the signal light should light up with the key off and lever engaged. European feature built in to system for parking.
+Quote Post
theer
post May 1 2023, 08:27 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 19,014
Region Association: North East States

If the test light gets the relay to click, it sounds as if the flasher is working.

Try the test light at the bulb socket to see if you are getting current. Then check the grounds - they may need to be cleaned-inside the bulb holder as well as the wiring to the body?

+Quote Post
76-914
post May 1 2023, 10:12 AM
Post #4

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

If your emergency flasher works the flasher relay is good. If it is good the turn signal assm or it's wiring is bad or one of your bulbs or it's wiring is bad. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
obro150
post May 1 2023, 01:20 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 18,364

Now I found when I turn on the emergency flasher the fuse blows. So a short somewhere should that affect the turn signals? I can still ground flasher and it clicks lighting my test light with the use blown.
+Quote Post
OKN929
post May 1 2023, 04:05 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 27,039

QUOTE(obro150 @ May 1 2023, 03:20 PM) *

Now I found when I turn on the emergency flasher the fuse blows. So a short somewhere should that affect the turn signals? I can still ground flasher and it clicks lighting my test light with the use blown.

I had a similar issue on my 74, 2 things that helped with my issue. Wiring - The wires were incorrectly placed, I found a diagram on here that I attached and hope it helps. The second issue was the bulbs were not the correct size, so I just order some hella's from amazon. I did switch out the relay but then put they old one back in and now they work fine.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
dirk2056
post May 1 2023, 04:34 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 21,304
Region Association: Middle East

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Check all ground wires I chased my lights for days and found ground wires bad best of luck.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 12:16 AM