Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Difference Between the L&R Seats
76-914
post May 2 2023, 02:12 PM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

What makes one seat different from the other? Are the bases/seats different from one another? Or is it the back rests or headrests that differ from L to R? To put it another way; which pieces would be interchangeable? TIA, Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
eric9144
post May 2 2023, 02:35 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,876

Think the rails (at least on the seat side) are same, just swap left and right.
The seats differ on the back of the head rests---the top of the head rest has an indent where it meets the firewall pad and they're angled (look at both from the back and you'll see it.)
The other difference is that the drivers seat bolster on the 'outside' is thinner where the handbrake is so you can actually get to it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post May 2 2023, 02:36 PM
Post #3

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

I thought the drivers seat was clearanced for the parking brake handle or maybe the foam was just different?

The headrest foam is contoured to the rear window curve.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 2 2023, 03:06 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

If you look at the headrests from behind the car through the back window, you can clearly see how they differ.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Lockwodo
post May 2 2023, 03:29 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 26,193

QUOTE(eric9144 @ May 2 2023, 01:35 PM) *

The seats differ on the back of the head rests---the top of the head rest has an indent where it meets the firewall pad and they're angled (look at both from the back and you'll see it.)
The other difference is that the drivers seat bolster on the 'outside' is thinner where the handbrake is so you can actually get to it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

On my '74, the rails bolted to the seats are different, the pull handles for the seat adjusters should be on the inside of the seats next to the tunnel. Also, if the seats have been swapped on the rails bolted to the floor, then the driver's seat will not adjust as far forward and the release catch for sliding the seat forward off the rails will not engage.
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 2 2023, 05:28 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 2 2023, 02:06 PM) *

If you look at the headrests from behind the car through the back window, you can clearly see how they differ.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

Well you see Andy, that's my problem. I bought another seat years ago because it was ripped. IIRC, it was the right seat. When viewed from behind it looks catty wampus. This is why I'm trying to figure out if I need to get another headrest, backrest, cushion or what. I'll post a pic shortly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 2 2023, 05:54 PM
Post #7

I dunno now. Maybe it was me being cockeyed. The covering was coming loose and I think that created an optical illusion. After I taped it in place it looks OK. What'da you think? It never had a problem lining up with the back pad and both seats are square and level. Maybe I'm chasing my own tail but I did't want to put new upholstery on only to find out I'd stepped in big pile of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) .

Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post May 2 2023, 07:27 PM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

They look reversed to me. Usually the ebrake cutout (slighter on later years) is the giveaway.

I drove my car for years with reversed seats. Not really a big deal unless it bothers you.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 3 2023, 06:17 AM
Post #9

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

I believe it is the upholstery that makes them different. I would be a bit surprised (but not really) if Porsche made a left and right seat shell for a lowly 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 3 2023, 08:00 AM
Post #10

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

The level shows about 1/4” out over 4’? MEH…Don’t sweat the minor stuff. Leave it for the next owner to sort out. The bubble is still pretty much between the vial lines.
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 3 2023, 08:27 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 3 2023, 07:00 AM) *

The level shows about 1/4” out over 4’? MEH…Don’t sweat the minor stuff. Leave it for the next owner to sort out. The bubble is still pretty much between the vial lines.

It's on the lift so it should be somewhat level. I'm going to throw the back pad in and if there isn't a noticeable fit problem I'm going to call it good Kev. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post May 3 2023, 08:33 AM
Post #12

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

It's on the lift so it should be somewhat level. I'm going to throw the back pad in and if there isn't a noticeable fit problem I'm going to call it good Kev. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
[/quote]

Even if they are the wrong seats they will fit he back pad.
It is just the angle of the top of the headrest that slopes toward the outside of the car. And the recess for the hand brake.
+Quote Post
sb914
post May 3 2023, 09:54 AM
Post #13

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191

Regardless your still cockeyed . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post May 3 2023, 10:00 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 2 2023, 04:54 PM) *

I dunno now. Maybe it was me being cockeyed. The covering was coming loose and I think that created an optical illusion. After I taped it in place it looks OK. What'da you think? It never had a problem lining up with the back pad and both seats are square and level. Maybe I'm chasing my own tail but I did't want to put new upholstery on only to find out I'd stepped in big pile of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) .

Maybe just swap the rails?
+Quote Post
eric9144
post May 3 2023, 10:00 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Lockwodo @ May 2 2023, 01:29 PM) *

QUOTE(eric9144 @ May 2 2023, 01:35 PM) *

On my '74, the rails bolted to the seats are different, the pull handles for the seat adjusters should be on the inside of the seats next to the tunnel. Also, if the seats have been swapped on the rails bolted to the floor, then the driver's seat will not adjust as far forward and the release catch for sliding the seat forward off the rails will not engage.

Yeah I was referring to the seat side of the hardware not the floor mount parts

@76-914 from the pics it looks like you have them flip flopped right now--passenger on drivers side
+Quote Post
eric9144
post May 3 2023, 10:07 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

The head rest slant is pretty noticable on the one, not so much on the other but if you look you can see it--I'd bet the one currently on the passenger side has the E-Brake 'thin out' on the lower part of the seat bolster.
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post May 3 2023, 10:09 AM
Post #17

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) i think they are swapped, the outer back side of the headrest is wider than the inner, and the left side bolster indent for the hand break , yiu won’t have that on either side for a true passenger side seat , but, they will work and it doesn’t really matter other than looks and balance. - and hand clearance for hand break, as others have said it will fit into the back rest fine either way.

i’ll take a picture tonight of mine if it helps,
+Quote Post
76-914
post May 3 2023, 03:40 PM
Post #18

Thx Eric & Phil. The hand brake clears the seat but evidently it will clear with either seat. I honestly don't remember which seat was torn but logically it would have been the drivers side. I probably switched it with the passenger side and later replaced the torn seat when I found a replacement seat as the replacement seat is on the psg side. I'll look for that pic later tonight. Thx again.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post May 3 2023, 03:44 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

the upholstered headrest foam (one slants one way the other the other way) and the left outer foam that is cut out to clear the handbrake. The fiberglass shells are the same

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 2 2023, 01:12 PM) *

What makes one seat different from the other? Are the bases/seats different from one another? Or is it the back rests or headrests that differ from L to R? To put it another way; which pieces would be interchangeable? TIA, Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
76-914
post May 3 2023, 04:29 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(sb914 @ May 3 2023, 08:54 AM) *

Regardless your still cockeyed . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Every time I use or hear that phrase I think of Richard Pryor's skit about the foreman's son Cockeyed Junior. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:31 PM