Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Timing question
rjames
post May 4 2023, 01:29 PM
Post #1

I'm made of metal

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Have seen this posted in numerous places. It's apparently out of the factory manuals. ((source)

Attached Image

If the chart is correct, the advance for the 2.0 liter engines is 20-24 degrees @ ~3000rpm
Why then is it listed in all of the documentation I've read to set advance at 27 degrees?

From Bosch manual showing 22-25 degrees at 2900 rpm. (I had 205A distributor since replaced with a 123 unit)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sportlicherFahrer
post May 4 2023, 02:16 PM
Post #2

Nothing to see here.

Member No.: 3,945

Chart is showing the total timing ability of a given distributor, not the timing spec for any given engine. The 2.0 timing spec is base timing PLUS the advance pulled in by the distributor at full advance RPM. So if you subtracted the distributor advance from the total number and checked timing at idle you'd see around 5* at the lower RPM.

Many of the VW engines are timed opposite of this. Set base timing to the spec at idle, and then the distributor does the rest. If you checked those at full advance RPM you'd see close to the same total advance numbers.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 4 2023, 04:15 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ May 5 2023, 09:16 AM) *

Chart is showing the total timing ability of a given distributor, not the timing spec for any given engine. The 2.0 timing spec is base timing PLUS the advance pulled in by the distributor at full advance RPM. So if you subtracted the distributor advance from the total number and checked timing at idle you'd see around 5* at the lower RPM.

Many of the VW engines are timed opposite of this. Set base timing to the spec at idle, and then the distributor does the rest. If you checked those at full advance RPM you'd see close to the same total advance numbers.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) well said...as long as the dizzy isn't all gummed and not advancing fully,the 205 series are bad for this and they can return slowly or not @ all and upset the idle .
+Quote Post
NARP74
post May 4 2023, 04:41 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 24,549
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

@sportlicherFahrer respond to this post and you will hit 1000! WooHoo!
+Quote Post
rjames
post May 4 2023, 04:55 PM
Post #5

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467

QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ May 4 2023, 01:16 PM) *

Makes total sense. Not sure how I missed understanding this until now.
Thank you!
+Quote Post
sportlicherFahrer
post May 5 2023, 09:22 AM
Post #6

Nothing to see here.

Member No.: 3,945

QUOTE(rjames @ May 4 2023, 03:55 PM) *

Makes total sense. Not sure how I missed understanding this until now.
Thank you!

You're welcome! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

QUOTE(NARP74 @ May 4 2023, 03:41 PM) *

@sportlicherFahrer respond to this post and you will hit 1000! WooHoo!

1K!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Only took me 18 years to get there! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:00 PM