Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Timing question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
Have seen this posted in numerous places. It's apparently out of the factory manuals. ((source)

Click to view attachment

If the chart is correct, the advance for the 2.0 liter engines is 20-24 degrees @ ~3000rpm
Why then is it listed in all of the documentation I've read to set advance at 27 degrees?

From Bosch manual showing 22-25 degrees at 2900 rpm. (I had 205A distributor since replaced with a 123 unit)
Click to view attachment
sportlicherFahrer
Chart is showing the total timing ability of a given distributor, not the timing spec for any given engine. The 2.0 timing spec is base timing PLUS the advance pulled in by the distributor at full advance RPM. So if you subtracted the distributor advance from the total number and checked timing at idle you'd see around 5* at the lower RPM.

Many of the VW engines are timed opposite of this. Set base timing to the spec at idle, and then the distributor does the rest. If you checked those at full advance RPM you'd see close to the same total advance numbers.
porschetub
QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ May 5 2023, 09:16 AM) *

Chart is showing the total timing ability of a given distributor, not the timing spec for any given engine. The 2.0 timing spec is base timing PLUS the advance pulled in by the distributor at full advance RPM. So if you subtracted the distributor advance from the total number and checked timing at idle you'd see around 5* at the lower RPM.

Many of the VW engines are timed opposite of this. Set base timing to the spec at idle, and then the distributor does the rest. If you checked those at full advance RPM you'd see close to the same total advance numbers.

agree.gif well said...as long as the dizzy isn't all gummed and not advancing fully,the 205 series are bad for this and they can return slowly or not @ all and upset the idle .
NARP74
@sportlicherFahrer respond to this post and you will hit 1000! WooHoo!
rjames
QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ May 4 2023, 01:16 PM) *

Makes total sense. Not sure how I missed understanding this until now.
Thank you!
sportlicherFahrer
QUOTE(rjames @ May 4 2023, 03:55 PM) *

Makes total sense. Not sure how I missed understanding this until now.
Thank you!

You're welcome! beerchug.gif

QUOTE(NARP74 @ May 4 2023, 03:41 PM) *

@sportlicherFahrer respond to this post and you will hit 1000! WooHoo!

1K!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif Only took me 18 years to get there! blink.gif type.gif aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.