Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FUN WITH CB PERFORMANCE, so I ask for an turnkey engine quote....
rhodyguy
post Aug 15 2005, 10:53 AM
Post #41

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Group: Members
Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

buttzzi, just found the issue. 8/99 (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) . will send priority mail as it's SO collectable, and i have some assurance that it will arrive in sb within the next 6 months. i do want it back. i can't take a good crap without rereading the article.

k
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Aug 15 2005, 11:11 AM
Post #42

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE (SEEMORE BUTZ @ Aug 15 2005, 08:45 AM)
QUOTE (Sammy @ Aug 15 2005, 07:56 AM)
Was that Bob Tomlinson you were e-mailing?
He's a spretty sharp cookie, my guess is that he gets a gazillion e-mails a day from kids and tire kickers and doesn't have time to answer them with any thought at all.
I have spoken with him on the phone before and he was very helpful.

I'd pick up the telephono and tell him you are interested in buying a type 1 with a turbo and electronic injection system and ask for a price.  E-mail prolly won't do it. And don't mention type 4s.
Gary Berg is another way to go but get out your checkbook.
Either that or buy it in kits and assemble it yourself and save some $$$

Yeah it was Bob Tomlinson...

I have my druthers and prejudices but I don't refer to four bangers as crap T-1s or 4s...just not my cup of tea...I DO hate four banger oil cooler leaks though....

I'm having fun going down memory lane looking at engines that I used to play with back HS and looking to plug in to the Speedster.

I don't buy the he gets a lot of mail every day thing.   His comments show that he is narrowly focused on T-1s and he's dissing the T-4 and promoting his own aganda

Send me an email about a TI and I'll do pretty much the same thing.... I believe we all have our specialty and should not wander from it one bit. The ONLY other engine I fool with is the 616 engine (356) because they are fun to play with..
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Aug 15 2005, 11:25 AM
Post #43

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE (SEEMORE BUTZ @ Aug 14 2005, 08:17 AM)
Bernie? Pass..... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

I've been talking with Jake but he's got a bit of a backlog....debating on waiting in line or freshening up up the MFI 2.4/6 I have sitting that I got off ebay.

I've been busy too and I just got the 911 back after 6 weeks in the paint shop....prolly gonna be shelved and be my winter project....

"Berg" and (Bernie)"Bergman" are 2 different entities. Berg is good and overpriced, Bergman is cheap crap at lowish prices. Ya wanna nice (REAL)125HP T1 motor, call EMS. More than Bergman, for sure, and less than Berg, but still pretty big bux. REAL good stuff, from people who race their motors with a great record of success. You want an "adequate" motor, call me. My lower cost supplier sells one, and I've had no problems with the 2 I've sold. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Aug 15 2005, 05:49 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 178

Gene Berg was the father who's shop is in Orange, about 5 miles from my house. He passed on, his son Gary Berg runs the place now.
They are famous for selling gold plated stuff that runs really, really gud, but the prices reflect that.
I remember in the 70's running against Gene at the bug-in in bracket racing. I got up to the finals in eliminator one year, my dial in was 14.4 seconds, his was in the low 12s.
I saw my light and took off, I was almost half track when I saw him lift his front wheels.
He got me by two car lengths at the big end, but he broke out :-)

The car he was driving looked completely street legal, even had a front licence plate and full bumpers. Except for the louder than stock exhaust and the M&H racemasters on back, it look like it could have been driven by an old lady and that darn thing was almost in the 11s, and it was naturally aspirated, that was 28 years ago!
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Aug 15 2005, 07:48 PM
Post #45

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Yeah I remember the Berg's....never was in the money enuff to play in the big leagues...but I do remember lusting after his stuff....but I don't want to have to do a tear down every two years....
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Aug 15 2005, 07:58 PM
Post #46

Engine Surgeon

Too bad they let yesterday get in the way of tomorrow..... Tomorrows engines are not built with yesterdays ideas (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom Perso
post Aug 15 2005, 08:06 PM
Post #47

Crazy from the Cold...

Member No.: 1,003

7:1 compression ratio and 40 degs of timing...

That'll make it run great! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

Tom
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Aug 15 2005, 08:35 PM
Post #48

Engine Surgeon

Yeah...... 40 degrees if you are lucky and running 87 octane.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Aug 16 2005, 05:40 AM
Post #49

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Sammy @ Aug 15 2005, 03:49 PM)

The car he was driving looked completely street legal, even had a front licence plate and full bumpers. Except for the louder than stock exhaust and the M&H racemasters on back, it look like it could have been driven by an old lady and that darn thing was almost in the 11s, and it was naturally aspirated, that was 28 years ago!

Gene had a classic line. He'd streetrace that car, and usually win. One night he didn't, and got beat by a street super stock Chevelle. As they pulled up afterwards they were all happy and gloating, so he said to them, "Yeah, yeah, so now you get to go tell all your friends that you just beat a VOLKSWAGEN!"

And that's why Jake sells so many conversion engines, VW guys wanting a giant killer.
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Aug 16 2005, 09:54 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 178

Them were the days. I was in high school, pumping gas at night to pay for the car and insurance.
The big boys at the bug-ins played hard, but they were cool to me even tho i was small time.

The baddest bug out there was a white fiberglass tube framed deal with huge rear fenders and tires. It was a BAE turbocharged bug burning alcohol, IIRC it was running in the 7s.
Thing sounded wild.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 08:32 PM