Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bouncing Headlights, Light Show when driving at night!
ctc911ctc
post May 29 2023, 08:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,206
Region Association: North East States

'74 2.0, 22K miles

When I drive at night the headlight use to bounce around like crazy - I tried to adjust and there was nothing left to adjust (See PIC)

I rebuilt - powder-coated - the entire headlamp system, turned out nice. I ordered the adjusting bolts but they were no longer available.

I recently found a pair within this forum (THANK YOU) and put them in.

Here are the old ones - YIKES

Attached Image

I put the headlamp at TDC in it's rotation, then tightened the bolt against the bracket. No more LightShow! Headlamp is solid when it is turned on.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 29 2023, 08:45 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Make sure you don't make it too tight, the bolt is just there to stop the vibration, it's not a hard stop and the headlight arm needs to be able to rotate freely.

Those old bolts look like they had some current run through them. Did you have a short in your electrical system?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post May 30 2023, 06:50 AM
Post #3

"A" current leak? More like a dozen,,,,,,

I am certain that the wiring harness is leaky (elevated resistances from old connectors, etc...., not sure about the shorts, New lights are LED, less current, less leaking perhaps..... replacing the connectors as I move through the car.......

There is a definite voltage drop between the battery and the dashboard. the front junction box under the dash had a mouse family living in it when I arrived at the car - I have not rebuilt it yet.....

Good observation - seems a little road salt and those electrons were catalyzed to run away.......never seen a bolt do that - good observation!

As to too tight, went to TDC, adjusted the bolt so it sat on the bracket, gave it a quarter turn more, tightened the retaining nut and it goes up/down as smoothly as new......

BTW, do those headlamp motors ever go bad? They seem overbuilt and over-geared for the job,...... never looked at a car (no matter how bad) where they did not work....

Thank you Mr. Berkley!

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 29 2023, 08:45 PM) *

Make sure you don't make it too tight, the bolt is just there to stop the vibration, it's not a hard stop and the headlight arm needs to be able to rotate freely.

Those old bolts look like they had some current run through them. Did you have a short in your electrical system?

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 30 2023, 07:39 AM
Post #4

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I agree with SirAndy - Do not over tighten that stop. It should be just so it sits on the stop, the extra 1/4 turn may be too much. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post May 30 2023, 09:59 AM
Post #5

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ May 30 2023, 05:50 AM) *

"A" current leak? More like a dozen,,,,,,

I am certain that the wiring harness is leaky (elevated resistances from old connectors, etc...., not sure about the shorts, New lights are LED, less current, less leaking perhaps..... replacing the connectors as I move through the car.......

There is a definite voltage drop between the battery and the dashboard. the front junction box under the dash had a mouse family living in it when I arrived at the car - I have not rebuilt it yet.....

Good observation - seems a little road salt and those electrons were catalyzed to run away.......never seen a bolt do that - good observation!

As to too tight, went to TDC, adjusted the bolt so it sat on the bracket, gave it a quarter turn more, tightened the retaining nut and it goes up/down as smoothly as new......

BTW, do those headlamp motors ever go bad? They seem overbuilt and over-geared for the job,...... never looked at a car (no matter how bad) where they did not work....

Thank you Mr. Berkley!

Yes they do but rarely. We had a used one we used in the testing of our relays. Went bad at about 300,000 cycles, put the other one on and it out lasted the 1st.
In all fairness our test ran 8-9 hours a day for months (they did get weekends and holidays off), so I'd say they were well engineered. Yes, they will probably outlast all of us.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 30 2023, 10:16 AM
Post #6

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

WTF....

Fix the electrical issues.
those Bolts should be framed up and hung in the garage...

+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post May 30 2023, 10:20 AM
Post #7

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Those bolts look like sacrificial anodes!
+Quote Post
ctc911ctc
post May 30 2023, 10:24 AM
Post #8

Agree Mr. Towle, wonderful art - they are going next to the 1st gear Dog Teeth ring which was ground down to nothing.........

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 30 2023, 10:16 AM) *

WTF....

Fix the electrical issues.
those Bolts should be framed up and hung in the garage...

+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 30 2023, 10:26 AM
Post #9

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

please recall, I have a bunch of parts if you need something.
Not sure where things are all stored...but I have stripped more than a few cars....so I have odd little things if you need anything.

Rich
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post May 30 2023, 07:12 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

More like current plus submerged in salt water!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 04:23 AM