Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bouncing Headlights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
'74 2.0, 22K miles

When I drive at night the headlight use to bounce around like crazy - I tried to adjust and there was nothing left to adjust (See PIC)

I rebuilt - powder-coated - the entire headlamp system, turned out nice. I ordered the adjusting bolts but they were no longer available.

I recently found a pair within this forum (THANK YOU) and put them in.

Here are the old ones - YIKES

Click to view attachment

I put the headlamp at TDC in it's rotation, then tightened the bolt against the bracket. No more LightShow! Headlamp is solid when it is turned on.

SirAndy
Make sure you don't make it too tight, the bolt is just there to stop the vibration, it's not a hard stop and the headlight arm needs to be able to rotate freely.

Those old bolts look like they had some current run through them. Did you have a short in your electrical system?
idea.gif
ctc911ctc
"A" current leak? More like a dozen,,,,,,

I am certain that the wiring harness is leaky (elevated resistances from old connectors, etc...., not sure about the shorts, New lights are LED, less current, less leaking perhaps..... replacing the connectors as I move through the car.......

There is a definite voltage drop between the battery and the dashboard. the front junction box under the dash had a mouse family living in it when I arrived at the car - I have not rebuilt it yet.....

Good observation - seems a little road salt and those electrons were catalyzed to run away.......never seen a bolt do that - good observation!

As to too tight, went to TDC, adjusted the bolt so it sat on the bracket, gave it a quarter turn more, tightened the retaining nut and it goes up/down as smoothly as new......

BTW, do those headlamp motors ever go bad? They seem overbuilt and over-geared for the job,...... never looked at a car (no matter how bad) where they did not work....

Thank you Mr. Berkley!

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 29 2023, 08:45 PM) *

Make sure you don't make it too tight, the bolt is just there to stop the vibration, it's not a hard stop and the headlight arm needs to be able to rotate freely.

Those old bolts look like they had some current run through them. Did you have a short in your electrical system?
idea.gif

Cairo94507
I agree with SirAndy - Do not over tighten that stop. It should be just so it sits on the stop, the extra 1/4 turn may be too much. beerchug.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ May 30 2023, 05:50 AM) *

"A" current leak? More like a dozen,,,,,,

I am certain that the wiring harness is leaky (elevated resistances from old connectors, etc...., not sure about the shorts, New lights are LED, less current, less leaking perhaps..... replacing the connectors as I move through the car.......

There is a definite voltage drop between the battery and the dashboard. the front junction box under the dash had a mouse family living in it when I arrived at the car - I have not rebuilt it yet.....

Good observation - seems a little road salt and those electrons were catalyzed to run away.......never seen a bolt do that - good observation!

As to too tight, went to TDC, adjusted the bolt so it sat on the bracket, gave it a quarter turn more, tightened the retaining nut and it goes up/down as smoothly as new......

BTW, do those headlamp motors ever go bad? They seem overbuilt and over-geared for the job,...... never looked at a car (no matter how bad) where they did not work....

Thank you Mr. Berkley!

idea.gif

Yes they do but rarely. We had a used one we used in the testing of our relays. Went bad at about 300,000 cycles, put the other one on and it out lasted the 1st.
In all fairness our test ran 8-9 hours a day for months (they did get weekends and holidays off), so I'd say they were well engineered. Yes, they will probably outlast all of us.
r_towle
WTF....

Fix the electrical issues.
those Bolts should be framed up and hung in the garage...

Root_Werks
Those bolts look like sacrificial anodes!
ctc911ctc
Agree Mr. Towle, wonderful art - they are going next to the 1st gear Dog Teeth ring which was ground down to nothing.........

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 30 2023, 10:16 AM) *

WTF....

Fix the electrical issues.
those Bolts should be framed up and hung in the garage...

r_towle
please recall, I have a bunch of parts if you need something.
Not sure where things are all stored...but I have stripped more than a few cars....so I have odd little things if you need anything.

Rich
bkrantz

idea.gif

More like current plus submerged in salt water!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.