Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New heat exchangers?, Anything aside from the SSIs on the market?
VaccaRabite
post Jun 4 2023, 07:05 PM
Post #1

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

For the past 15 years I've been using used SSI exchangers. At first because that was the only game in town, and then because when the new SSI exchangers got back on the market they were WAY out of my price range.

I now have a collection of cracked SSI heat exchangers. Some cracked at the heat jacket, some at the ears, one pair had cracks in both places.

I know you can spend a lot of money and buy new SSI exchangers that have not been heat cycled a million times over the past 30 years. And I may do that.

I know I can weld up the exchangers I have, and that might even hold for a while before the cracks re-emerge.

But are there alternatives to SSI exchangers if you want NEW and the ability to have heat and bolt on a 914 exhaust that is not a totally custom job?

DO new common steel heat exchangers even exist? Could you ceramic coat them to make them more durable / rust resistant?

What about headers? if I just decide to give up my dream of eventually having heat, what are the headers options? Has anyone tried the new Bursch X Pipe headers that look kinda like exchangers with the jacket cut away? Has the quality of Eurorace headers gone up at all? Looks like they are being built by someone new these days.

I'm mostly interested in something that will allow cabin heat. But, I guess all options are on the table... I don't want to add more to my pile of cracked old SSI exchangers.

Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 4 2023, 07:10 PM
Post #2

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Tangerine headers and muffler have a heater box thing you can add on.
+Quote Post
Van B
post Jun 4 2023, 08:17 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 26,011
Region Association: None

Bursch is working on a version with HEs. I’ve been in regular contact with Chris from SMC about them. He says that Bursch is working on producing 911 stuff right now, but the 914s are developed and in the que.

I’m going to try and wait on them.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jun 5 2023, 05:29 AM
Post #4

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Van B @ Jun 4 2023, 10:17 PM) *

Bursch is working on a version with HEs. I’ve been in regular contact with Chris from SMC about them. He says that Bursch is working on producing 911 stuff right now, but the 914s are developed and in the que.

I’m going to try and wait on them.

I saw their ss 911 headers. About $3k, right? I doubt the 914 parts will be cheap.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 10:48 AM