Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New heat exchangers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
For the past 15 years I've been using used SSI exchangers. At first because that was the only game in town, and then because when the new SSI exchangers got back on the market they were WAY out of my price range.

I now have a collection of cracked SSI heat exchangers. Some cracked at the heat jacket, some at the ears, one pair had cracks in both places.

I know you can spend a lot of money and buy new SSI exchangers that have not been heat cycled a million times over the past 30 years. And I may do that.

I know I can weld up the exchangers I have, and that might even hold for a while before the cracks re-emerge.

But are there alternatives to SSI exchangers if you want NEW and the ability to have heat and bolt on a 914 exhaust that is not a totally custom job?

DO new common steel heat exchangers even exist? Could you ceramic coat them to make them more durable / rust resistant?

What about headers? if I just decide to give up my dream of eventually having heat, what are the headers options? Has anyone tried the new Bursch X Pipe headers that look kinda like exchangers with the jacket cut away? Has the quality of Eurorace headers gone up at all? Looks like they are being built by someone new these days.

I'm mostly interested in something that will allow cabin heat. But, I guess all options are on the table... I don't want to add more to my pile of cracked old SSI exchangers.

Zach
r_towle
Tangerine headers and muffler have a heater box thing you can add on.
Van B
Bursch is working on a version with HEs. I’ve been in regular contact with Chris from SMC about them. He says that Bursch is working on producing 911 stuff right now, but the 914s are developed and in the que.

I’m going to try and wait on them.
mepstein
QUOTE(Van B @ Jun 4 2023, 10:17 PM) *

Bursch is working on a version with HEs. I’ve been in regular contact with Chris from SMC about them. He says that Bursch is working on producing 911 stuff right now, but the 914s are developed and in the que.

I’m going to try and wait on them.

I saw their ss 911 headers. About $3k, right? I doubt the 914 parts will be cheap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.