Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coil on plug?
AndrewBlyholder
post Jul 11 2023, 11:45 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,791

The ignition on my 914 race car motor is currently a Mallory CDI box and coil with the spark running through the distributor. I'm thinking to simplify things by going to individual coil-on-plug packs on each spark plug. The fuel injection ECU can then control the ignition directly without any other intervening equipment. This is a Type IV motor with the stock cooling tin. Any recommendations out there on what brand of coil packs to use? Any suggestions on easy ways to mount them to the engine tin?

Might also add a cam sync sensor in the distributor hole rather than do wasted spark. Any advice or experience with those parts would be appreciated too.

Thank,

Andrew B.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post Jul 12 2023, 11:56 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

Make your life simpler: Use four LS2 coils and run wires. Or if a 4-banger use the VW IGN-4VW.

There's nothing magical about COP, it's just packaging.

I run the IGN-4VW coil pack on my street 914 without issue. However its initial location, on a bracket over where the disty was, caused overheated and failures. I moved it to on top of the fan housing and it's working great since.

On one of my race cars with a Toyota 4AGE, I ran coil packs in the head/valve cover valley but those, too, would overheat and cause dropouts and failures. We moved to LS2 coils mounted on top of the intake manifold and they work great.

As for concerns about wasted spark...why? Sequential (spark and injection) is good for low-end driveability, emissions, and fuel economy. Wasted spark is fine for a race car.

Keep 'er simple, Stanley.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
crash914
post Jul 13 2023, 05:26 AM
Post #3

its a mystery to me

Member No.: 434
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I am running LS-2 coil packs.
Sync for coils is using "the Dub Shop" cam Sync in place of the distributor.

Give Mario a call an see what options he has. I know he has coils and brackets, wires, etc. A one stop shop.
+Quote Post
stownsen914
post Jul 14 2023, 05:02 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,985
Region Association: None

+1 on the LS2 coils. Pretty sure they're more powerful than most COP.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Matt Romanowski
post Jul 30 2023, 08:02 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,507

I run Toyota COP for my 3 liter six. They can provide more than enough power for a good burn. For me, the packaging was worth it and simplifying the running. As for sequential over wasted spark, the only added complexity is adding the cam sync. Clewett has them as well.

+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jul 30 2023, 09:11 PM
Post #6

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

Another vote for LS2 coils. They are awesome. Performance is fantastic and they are quite easy to install since you only need to worry about making custom plug wires.

I've even used them in place of the stock ignition boxes on a gas turbine ignitor. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:14 AM