Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coil on plug?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
AndrewBlyholder
The ignition on my 914 race car motor is currently a Mallory CDI box and coil with the spark running through the distributor. I'm thinking to simplify things by going to individual coil-on-plug packs on each spark plug. The fuel injection ECU can then control the ignition directly without any other intervening equipment. This is a Type IV motor with the stock cooling tin. Any recommendations out there on what brand of coil packs to use? Any suggestions on easy ways to mount them to the engine tin?

Might also add a cam sync sensor in the distributor hole rather than do wasted spark. Any advice or experience with those parts would be appreciated too.

Thank,

Andrew B.
GregAmy
Make your life simpler: Use four LS2 coils and run wires. Or if a 4-banger use the VW IGN-4VW.

There's nothing magical about COP, it's just packaging.

I run the IGN-4VW coil pack on my street 914 without issue. However its initial location, on a bracket over where the disty was, caused overheated and failures. I moved it to on top of the fan housing and it's working great since.

On one of my race cars with a Toyota 4AGE, I ran coil packs in the head/valve cover valley but those, too, would overheat and cause dropouts and failures. We moved to LS2 coils mounted on top of the intake manifold and they work great.

As for concerns about wasted spark...why? Sequential (spark and injection) is good for low-end driveability, emissions, and fuel economy. Wasted spark is fine for a race car.

Keep 'er simple, Stanley.
crash914
I am running LS-2 coil packs.
Sync for coils is using "the Dub Shop" cam Sync in place of the distributor.

Give Mario a call an see what options he has. I know he has coils and brackets, wires, etc. A one stop shop.
stownsen914
+1 on the LS2 coils. Pretty sure they're more powerful than most COP.
Matt Romanowski
I run Toyota COP for my 3 liter six. They can provide more than enough power for a good burn. For me, the packaging was worth it and simplifying the running. As for sequential over wasted spark, the only added complexity is adding the cam sync. Clewett has them as well.

jd74914
Another vote for LS2 coils. They are awesome. Performance is fantastic and they are quite easy to install since you only need to worry about making custom plug wires.

I've even used them in place of the stock ignition boxes on a gas turbine ignitor. laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.