Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looks like the 911 will be the last man standing.
Superhawk996
post Aug 26 2023, 06:33 AM
Post #81

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

EVs are the future of automobiles.

Sadly, EVs are a regression to the early 1900s. Nothing new here.

Railroads have been using EVs for almost 100 years.

There used to be electric railroads - they no longer exist for long haul freight use due to the lack of efficiency at which they operated vs a modern conventional rail system. Obviously I’m excluding Mag-Lev, local commuters, Subway, etc.
Attached Image

https://www.smworks.org/blog/lost-at-loweth

It's interesting to think about the similarities between the diesel electric locomotive and EVs. The topology of both are nearly identical. Both get their electrical power from a driven alternator. The diesel drives its alternator with a diesel engine carrying both the alternator and diesel engine along with a tank of diesel fuel. The EV gets its power from alternators driven by coal/gas/oil/hydro/solar/wind/geo. Like the diesel, the EV carries its fuel with it stored for this generation of EVs in batteries.

So - they aren’t the same topology at all. The diesel locomotive is more like a hybrid automobile. Power generation is on-board, uses fossil fuel to generate power which is then supplied to the electric motor for propulsion. Why is it that hybrid automobiles such as the Prius aren’t viewed as a legitimate step forward as an automotive option? Even a Prius can’t meet the new NHTSA mandates proposed for CAFE . . .

Hopefully the next generation of EVs will solve the long refuel issue with battery EVs.

Yup - I’ve personally been hearing that since 90’s and GM’s EV1 program. I’ll bet they were saying this in 1910 too.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mate914
post Aug 26 2023, 06:47 AM
Post #82

Matt

Member No.: 10,102
Region Association: North East States

They bring a gas powered generator to give enough power to get you to charging station. No fast charge.
Matt

QUOTE(930cabman @ Aug 19 2023, 08:46 PM) *

Dumb question:

How does one proceed when they run out of gas er, charge?

will AAA come and have the ability to fast charge

+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 26 2023, 07:03 AM
Post #83

914 Guru

QUOTE(mate914 @ Aug 26 2023, 08:47 AM) *

They bring a gas powered generator to give enough power to get you to charging station. No fast charge.
Matt

QUOTE(930cabman @ Aug 19 2023, 08:46 PM) *

Dumb question:

How does one proceed when they run out of gas er, charge?

will AAA come and have the ability to fast charge

Tired internet meme. Couldn’t help myself

Attached Image

Reality:
They bring you a charge with a RAM 3500 burning diesel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
Attached Image

https://www.geekwire.com/2013/aaa-electric-charging-mobile/

Be sure to read article. Available only in large metro areas. Will only give you 3-15 miles of range to get to the nearest charging station. If you’re fortunate, when you get there the charging station will be working.

“Not only is the availability of public charging still an obstacle, but EV owners continue to be faced with charging station equipment that is inoperable,”
https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/17/23308612...survey-jd-power

Don’t try this in middle of Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Aug 26 2023, 10:44 AM
Post #84

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 26 2023, 05:33 AM) *

So - they aren’t the same topology at all. The diesel locomotive is more like a hybrid automobile. Power generation is on-board, uses fossil fuel to generate power which is then supplied to the electric motor for propulsion. Why is it that hybrid automobiles such as the Prius aren’t viewed as a legitimate step forward as an automotive option? Even a Prius can’t meet the new NHTSA mandates proposed for CAFE . . .

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

We're a few more weeks into living with our first PHEV, a Mazda CX-90, and liking it a lot. Its battery is much (!) smaller than a full EV's, with less environmental damage and future waste, yet it handles 90-95% of our daily use on electric only and won't strand us. We can go weeks without topping up the gas tank—and that's on the Level 1 (110V) charger it came with. With a Level 2, I suspect we may want to run the engine occasionally just to do so if Mazda's engineers haven't already thought about that.

If we can get to better/more stable batteries and move daily range from 25~ miles on a charge to, say, 40-50 miles, it would be more or less a perfect family truckster for so many people out there. It seems like this should be the focus, rather than EVs.

Ah, and 80-90% of the braking is handled by regen, a huge benefit in terms of brake servicing costs on heavier vehicles not to mention waste materials. So I can focus brake pad budget on more interesting cars… (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
vitamin914
post Aug 26 2023, 11:31 AM
Post #85

Member No.: 25,893
Region Association: Canada

New technology to convert your all-electric Taycan or any EV into a hybrid !!!

UNLIMITED RANGE !!!

NO MORE RANGE ANXIETY !!!

Attached Image

apologizes to Pelican's April 1 email
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Aug 26 2023, 11:38 AM
Post #86

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 26 2023, 08:33 AM) *

So - they aren’t the same topology at all. The diesel locomotive is more like a hybrid automobile.

Maybe we're talking about 2 different topologies. When I refer to an EV it is a vehicle which gets all its traction energy through wires to an electric motor like this picture. This diesel electric locomotive has the same topology as a battery EV with the addition of the battery being between the alternator and the motor thus being able to disconnect from the alternator providing the energy.

The diesel electric does have a disadvantage of not being able to store and reuse braking energy and needs those large ballast resistors and fans seen on the tops of locomotives.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Aug 26 2023, 12:05 PM
Post #87

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 26 2023, 10:38 AM) *

Maybe we're talking about 2 different topologies. When I refer to an EV it is a vehicle which gets all its traction energy through wires to an electric motor like this picture. This diesel electric locomotive has the same topology as a battery EV with the addition of the battery being between the alternator and the motor thus being able to disconnect from the alternator providing the energy.

The diesel electric does have a disadvantage of not being able to store and reuse braking energy and needs those large ballast resistors and fans seen on the tops of locomotives.

Attached Image

Years ago, there was a brilliant ad campaign ahead of each episode of Top Gear UK, which had audio of someone breathing in and out while the video considered the amount of freight that could be moved on a single gallon of diesel via diesel-electric locomotives. It was extremely compelling.

Not sure if hybrid tech could be applied to trains, or if it would be meaningful given how efficient they already are (?), but I remember thinking it was a crime how much freight is moved by air or truck in North America (and, presumably, elsewhere).

Not to mention the fact that trucks don't mix well with cars at freeway speeds, and destroy roadways. But years later, legislation is still concentrating on light cars because cars bad. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 26 2023, 12:10 PM
Post #88

914 Guru

QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 26 2023, 01:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 26 2023, 08:33 AM) *

So - they aren’t the same topology at all. The diesel locomotive is more like a hybrid automobile.

Attached Image

I’ll split the difference - neither of our analogies are perfect.

The diesel locomotive lacks the battery like a hybrid automobile but it certainly isn’t an EV in the sense that it’s not obtaining power directly from a battery pack.

My broader point was that there is a concerted effort to focus on EVs as the solution to the exclusion of hybrids which are far more practical in day to day use and don’t come with the EV range and battery weight penalty.

The fact that NHTSA is trying to mandate conventional ICE and hybrids out of existence is telling.

+Quote Post
930cabman
post Aug 26 2023, 12:13 PM
Post #89

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

Didn't the professor have an EV in the 1890's?
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 26 2023, 12:20 PM
Post #90

914 Guru

QUOTE(930cabman @ Aug 26 2023, 02:13 PM) *

Didn't the professor have an EV in the 1890's?

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/products/ta...tory-18563.html

“However, the Lohner-Porsche also demonstrated why electric mobility has failed over the decades: despite its modest power output, the car weighed almost two tonnes. The lack of infrastructure and the short range put an end to electromobility for a long time.”

Lithium ion batteries and modern power electronics have made it better . . . But truly nothing new.

+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Aug 26 2023, 12:51 PM
Post #91

Member No.: 27,135
Region Association: Southwest Region

Most "hybrids" use an electrical motor in tandem with an ICE engine and both propulsion systems actually drive the wheels.
This is hideously complex regarding the smooth application of power. It doesn't improve the gas mileage enough to make the initial expense and the battery maintenance worthwhile IMO.
Years ago, my local newspaper did a cost comparison and found out just how far you would have to drive the hybrid to break even over a standard gas engine.

The only car that scored nicely was the Toyota Prius. Compared to a base Camary you would need to drive the Prius 50K to break even.

Some of the other hybrids were in the 500K range and this comparison did NOT take battery life into the equation...

Prius are a different breed of cat.
2nd gen and up, they are very close to the diesel locomotive.
All of the motive force comes from an electric engine. The ICE engine drives a big-assed generator (which doubles as the starter) and depending on your driving style it can really achieve 50+ MPG.
One of my buddies bought one new for his wife.
She drove it from Cresson to Irvine for 10+ years.
Just after they bought it new, I named it!

I referred to it as "The Anti-Car".

A car for people who do NOT want to drive!
She got 51 MPG for 195k worth of mileage.
They brought it to me at 195K and Jennifer said "I HATE this car, it's killing my back!
I'm tired of driving it and want something else. Find something wrong with it so I won't feel bad about getting rid of it."

I went over it with an electron microscope.
Couldn't find shit wrong with it at 200K.
It didn't even need front brakes.
Toughest little car I've ever seen.
Drop dead boring to drive but drop dead reliable as well...

Blake, my friend, a car nut had an Infinity Q45. Super nice 400 hp hiway missile.
It had a bunch of expensive stuff going out on it.

I said "Dude, you're screwed! You need to get rid of the Q, get Jen something she likes, and drive The Anti-Car until you get one of your Fieros up!"

He drove it for 2 years. Cresson to Ft. Worth, another 70k worth. He sold it to a work mate we both know, and that guy is still using the AC today for his daughter,
It's over 340K now and very little has broken...

Blake consistently got 38 mpg out of it.
Damn close to a normal 4cyl Camary.
You have to drive it like "someone who does not want to drive" to get the mileage!
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Aug 26 2023, 06:24 PM
Post #92

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 26 2023, 02:10 PM) *
but it certainly isn’t an EV in the sense that it’s not obtaining power directly from a battery pack.

Hopefully future EVs will not need the batteries. It just seems like it would take an awful lot of batteries to power all EVs if we're going to go 100% EV like some states have mandated. Some new energy technology will be developed that will allow quick refueling and long range.

Air Products is working on Hydrogen fuel cells to power EVs. They had one on display near my house last year. The spokesperson said it had a range of 400 miles and would take 5-10 minutes to fully refuel.

Air Products Hydrogen Fueling for Automobiles
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Aug 31 2023, 02:24 PM
Post #93

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

unloading some top roasted and part damaged EVs off the Freemantle Highway.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

they are driving the undamaged ICE vehicles off after water wash decontamination at the loading hatch......but craning the BEV cars off. only the damaged EVs are getting dropped in the bath tub. (they are not still on fire, but do have damage so they just go straight in the tank, its steam not smoke coming off. damaged lithium battery is reacting with the water).

+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Aug 31 2023, 07:13 PM
Post #94

914 Guru

4000 lbs of toxic environmental waste. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) some insurance company paying through the nose to dispose of that hulk after it gets placed in its car coffin.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Sep 1 2023, 02:59 AM
Post #95

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Aug 31 2023, 07:13 PM) *

4000 lbs of toxic environmental waste. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) some insurance company paying through the nose to dispose of that hulk after it gets placed in its car coffin.

right on superhawk. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

as well its a souped up OH&S issue for anyone standing within 20 feet of it -
then the disassembly. poisonous substances etc.

is OH&S an understood abbrev in USA.
occupational health and safety.

welcome to the farken future. its so rosy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 04:02 AM