Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Weltmeister Short Shifter situation
Literati914
post Jul 27 2023, 04:49 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

Some how I've ended up with the Weltmeister short shifter's 1/2" aluminum plate that sits under the stock 914 shifter assembly but I do not have the corresponding shift lever (vertical piece)... and since finding an orphaned lever would be near impossible, (and I wouldn't mind using some form of short throw shifter 'til I can get a better unit), I was thinking about cutting the stock lever and sleeving it out 1/2". Does any one who's used one see any potential issues with this? I mean, I've not actually inspected a welmeister lever and am only speculating that the 1/2" length is all there is to it, or that there's enough room to lengthen it with a sleeve.

Alternatively - are there any 911 levers that might work for this instead? ..and/or since there seems to be more 911 weltmeister kits floating around in the used market at least than 914, think the lever from one of those would work with my 914 plate? I think most of the 911 kits use the ball cup arrangement tho (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) .

Thoughts or criticisms (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
CCE
post Jul 27 2023, 07:13 PM
Post #2

CCE

Member No.: 26,203
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jul 27 2023, 04:49 PM) *

Some how I've ended up with the Weltmeister short shifter's 1/2" aluminum plate that sits under the stock 914 shifter assembly but I do not have the corresponding shift lever (vertical piece)... and since finding an orphaned lever would be near impossible, (and I wouldn't mind using some form of short throw shifter 'til I can get a better unit), I was thinking about cutting the stock lever and sleeving it out 1/2". Does any one who's used one see any potential issues with this? I mean, I've not actually inspected a welmeister lever and am only speculating that the 1/2" length is all there is to it, or that there's enough room to lengthen it with a sleeve.

Alternatively - are there any 911 levers that might work for this instead? ..and/or since there seems to be more 911 weltmeister kits floating around in the used market at least than 914, think the lever from one of those would work with my 914 plate? I think most of the 911 kits use the ball cup arrangement tho (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) .

Thoughts or criticisms (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I found two different short shifter kit’s on e-bay now. Look for the weltmeister Porsche short shifter they are like old stock.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jul 27 2023, 07:17 PM
Post #3

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

The version that is readily available is the one for early (tail shift) cars & 911's.
The version for late side shift cars kinda dried up after Rose Passion bought the Automotion inventory.
+Quote Post
wes
post Jul 28 2023, 01:22 PM
Post #4

wes

Member No.: 8,436
Region Association: Northern California

I am presently installing the Tangerine racing short shift kit that is available from of course, Tangerine. Can’t wait to see the difference but I’m slowly working on this between family projects.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 06:07 AM