Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weltmeister Short Shifter situation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
Some how I've ended up with the Weltmeister short shifter's 1/2" aluminum plate that sits under the stock 914 shifter assembly but I do not have the corresponding shift lever (vertical piece)... and since finding an orphaned lever would be near impossible, (and I wouldn't mind using some form of short throw shifter 'til I can get a better unit), I was thinking about cutting the stock lever and sleeving it out 1/2". Does any one who's used one see any potential issues with this? I mean, I've not actually inspected a welmeister lever and am only speculating that the 1/2" length is all there is to it, or that there's enough room to lengthen it with a sleeve.

Alternatively - are there any 911 levers that might work for this instead? ..and/or since there seems to be more 911 weltmeister kits floating around in the used market at least than 914, think the lever from one of those would work with my 914 plate? I think most of the 911 kits use the ball cup arrangement tho idea.gif .

Thoughts or criticisms biggrin.gif
CCE
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jul 27 2023, 04:49 PM) *

Some how I've ended up with the Weltmeister short shifter's 1/2" aluminum plate that sits under the stock 914 shifter assembly but I do not have the corresponding shift lever (vertical piece)... and since finding an orphaned lever would be near impossible, (and I wouldn't mind using some form of short throw shifter 'til I can get a better unit), I was thinking about cutting the stock lever and sleeving it out 1/2". Does any one who's used one see any potential issues with this? I mean, I've not actually inspected a welmeister lever and am only speculating that the 1/2" length is all there is to it, or that there's enough room to lengthen it with a sleeve.

Alternatively - are there any 911 levers that might work for this instead? ..and/or since there seems to be more 911 weltmeister kits floating around in the used market at least than 914, think the lever from one of those would work with my 914 plate? I think most of the 911 kits use the ball cup arrangement tho idea.gif .

Thoughts or criticisms biggrin.gif

I found two different short shifter kit’s on e-bay now. Look for the weltmeister Porsche short shifter they are like old stock.
914werke
The version that is readily available is the one for early (tail shift) cars & 911's.
The version for late side shift cars kinda dried up after Rose Passion bought the Automotion inventory.
wes
I am presently installing the Tangerine racing short shift kit that is available from of course, Tangerine. Can’t wait to see the difference but I’m slowly working on this between family projects.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.