Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Contracted 914 fever— is this the car to cure it?, What do you think of this ‘73 914 2.0 on Bat— pass or play?
trylon
post Aug 9 2023, 11:06 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,514
Region Association: North East States

New to the forum and the car. Was pointed to it by an aficionado on The Samba— I have a ‘59 Karmann Ghia. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=723793

He suggested that the people on this forum were the brain trust for all things 914 and that I should vet one here that has caught my eye on BAT:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-porsche-914-113/

Any insight would be appreciated!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bullethead
post Aug 9 2023, 11:24 AM
Post #2

Oil Cooled heart

Member No.: 11,875
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(trylon @ Aug 9 2023, 01:06 PM) *

New to the forum and the car. Was pointed to it by an aficionado on The Samba— I have a ‘59 Karmann Ghia. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=723793

He suggested that the people on this forum where the brain trust for all things 914 and that I should vet one here that has caught my eye on BAT:

Nice looking car... there's plenty of time to put eyes on it by arranging a PPI. And congrats on your lowlight, that is a beautiful example. Good infection! I see you took the same approach with that purchase. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Owned by a member here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...mp;viewid=21814
+Quote Post
jdamiano
post Aug 9 2023, 01:04 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 21,981

Great pictures. Show the good and the bad. Overall it looks like a great car. Seats, wheels and muffler not original but otherwise looks like an honest original example of one of the most desirable year and trim cars. Anything under 30k would be a bargain and 40k would not be a surprise. Someone here might know the car or be willing to check it out in person for you.
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Aug 9 2023, 01:52 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

Looks like most everything is there. From the pictures It looks very nice. My pause was the license plate, but I am not seeing rusticles hanging down. They are one ton of fun...Hope you join us.
+Quote Post
trylon
post Aug 9 2023, 02:02 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Bullethead @ Aug 9 2023, 01:24 PM) *

QUOTE(trylon @ Aug 9 2023, 01:06 PM) *

He suggested that the people on this forum where the brain trust for all things 914 and that I should vet one here that has caught my eye on BAT:

Nice looking car... there's plenty of time to put eyes on it by arranging a PPI. And congrats on your lowlight, that is a beautiful example. Good infection! I see you took the same approach with that purchase. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Owned by a member here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...mp;viewid=21814

Haha, yes I took the same tack as it previously yielded such great fruit!
Thanks for your response and kind words.
Yes, I would be interested in hearing from anyone in the Scottsdale area who would be willing to look it over (for a fee of course). A couple of my knowledgeable friends believe it took a blow to the front end. I would be interested to know the ramifications of that impact. The seller is amenable to such an inspection and is even willing to put it up on a lift!
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 9 2023, 02:03 PM
Post #6

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Looks like a nice 914 for sure. Would get a PPI on it if possible.
+Quote Post
trylon
post Aug 9 2023, 02:06 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(jdamiano @ Aug 9 2023, 03:04 PM) *

Great pictures. Show the good and the bad. Overall it looks like a great car. Seats, wheels and muffler not original but otherwise looks like an honest original example of one of the most desirable year and trim cars. Anything under 30k would be a bargain and 40k would not be a surprise. Someone here might know the car or be willing to check it out in person for you.

Thanks for your input. I am a novice in things 914 but not a total uninitiate. Had the use of my mother-in-laws when they were new!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
trylon
post Aug 9 2023, 02:08 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Aug 9 2023, 04:03 PM) *

Looks like a nice 914 for sure. Would get a PPI on it if possible.

Yes, am very interested in having it looked at— is there some sort of “bat signal” I need to flash in the sky?
+Quote Post
trylon
post Aug 9 2023, 02:09 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Shivers @ Aug 9 2023, 03:52 PM) *

Looks like most everything is there. From the pictures It looks very nice. My pause was the license plate, but I am not seeing rusticles hanging down. They are one ton of fun...Hope you join us.

What a welcoming post— I do hope to bid my way into this forum soon!
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Aug 9 2023, 02:10 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

I was unable to see the Ghia, but I'm sure she's cool and yes, find a decent (solid) 914 and join the club. How do things look when you remove the rocker covers? That often tells a good tale
+Quote Post
trylon
post Aug 9 2023, 02:48 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(930cabman @ Aug 9 2023, 04:10 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

I was unable to see the Ghia, but I'm sure she's cool and yes, find a decent (solid) 914 and join the club. How do things look when you remove the rocker covers? That often tells a good tale

Here’s a walkaround video of the ‘59 Ghia.

I brought it back to 6 volts:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Aug 9 2023, 03:42 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 21,317

.....maybe you don't need a 914.....you might just need more cowbell?

But I digress, in all seriousness....Welcome!....Nice Ghia!!!

I agree with your assessment that the car has been hit in the front. The front of the hood doesn't quite sit right, and if you look at the pics in the 160 to 180 range, you will see several pics of the frunk where the semicircular sheet metal that surrounds the spare looks damaged. At the point where it joins the fender wells at the back of that semicircle, you can see where the welds just don't look right. You can also see some waves in those areas.....likely where it buckled, at least slightly when it was impacted.

Just my 2 cents. Still alot to like with that particular car. Good luck!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
fasthonda
post Aug 9 2023, 05:05 PM
Post #13

914 Type R

Member No.: 1,544
Region Association: None

You will pay a premium on BAT. Plenty of nice cars offered for sale on this site for a lot less.
+Quote Post
trylon
post Aug 9 2023, 05:31 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Aug 9 2023, 05:42 PM) *

.....maybe you don't need a 914.....you might just need more cowbell?

But I digress, in all seriousness....Welcome!....Nice Ghia!!!

I agree with your assessment that the car has been hit in the front. The front of the hood doesn't quite sit right, and if you look at the pics in the 160 to 180 range, you will see several pics of the frunk where the semicircular sheet metal that surrounds the spare looks damaged. At the point where it joins the fender wells at the back of that semicircle, you can see where the welds just don't look right. You can also see some waves in those areas.....likely where it buckled, at least slightly when it was impacted.

Just my 2 cents. Still alot to like with that particular car. Good luck!

I am wondering what more cowbell could possibly mean…

Thanks for the kind words and information.
So I gather that a bump in the front does not necessarily make this car a no go. Seems prudent to see what the ramifications of that hit were though before bidding.
+Quote Post
trylon
post Aug 9 2023, 05:32 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(fasthonda @ Aug 9 2023, 07:05 PM) *

You will pay a premium on BAT. Plenty of nice cars offered for sale on this site for a lot less.

Yes, I have been warned about this. That said, I do not see a comparable 2.0 in the classifieds at the moment.
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Aug 9 2023, 05:51 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 21,317

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa9Zg6yGlQ4

Or the full version:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cVsQLlk-T0s
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Aug 9 2023, 06:20 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 23,922
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'm in the East Valley (Chandler, AZ) not far from Scottsdale, but I'm not sure I can really add much value beyond what has already been pointed out. I've never driven/ridden in a 914, so no help with what it should feel like, etc.

I personally would focus on the front end hit/damage. It really doesn't look right, or like it was repaired well.

Here's the same areas of my '74 for reference. You can clearly see it almost looks like a new "half-circle" support was welded in - the support that wraps around the spare tire. It really doesn't look correct to my eyes! I'd be asking a lot of questions about the damage & repair (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached Image
Attached Image

Just a thought - the PMS work on the car was just in July. Might be worth trying to call PMS and see what they can tell you about the car. Mr. Patrick took a good 20min to chat with me when I just purchased some fiberglass flares from them...
+Quote Post
trylon
post Aug 9 2023, 07:06 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Aug 9 2023, 07:51 PM) *

Hahaha! I DO know that. Just never associated it to my fever.
+Quote Post
trylon
post Aug 9 2023, 07:09 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(mgarrison @ Aug 9 2023, 08:20 PM) *

I'm in the East Valley (Chandler, AZ) not far from Scottsdale, but I'm not sure I can really add much value beyond what has already been pointed out. I've never driven/ridden in a 914, so no help with what it should feel like, etc.

I personally would focus on the front end hit/damage. It really doesn't look right, or like it was repaired well.

Here's the same areas of my '74 for reference. You can clearly see it almost looks like a new "half-circle" support was welded in - the support that wraps around the spare tire. It really doesn't look correct to my eyes! I'd be asking a lot of questions about the damage & repair (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached Image
Attached Image

Just a thought - the PMS work on the car was just in July. Might be worth trying to call PMS and see what they can tell you about the car. Mr. Patrick took a good 20min to chat with me when I just purchased some fiberglass flares from them...

Thanks for taking the time to reply— very helpful. I do see how it should look. Guess I am hoping that it is price damper and not a deal breaker.
+Quote Post
Racer
post Aug 10 2023, 06:41 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,073
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

5 bolt hubs achieved by drilling out the standard 4-bolt hubs, vs a true swap to 911 front end. Related, you will see the spare mounted in the front trunk is a 4-bolt wheel.. so it wont fit if you get a flat. you will need another 5-bolt wheel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

And yes, looks like some front end damage at one point. I was wondering why the front trunk alignment with the bumper seemed a tad off.

Pretty green paint. Photographs well.. There are worse places to start.
+Quote Post

18 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 06:30 AM