Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Still a 914 w/ tube chassis????, and modern suspension and????
Mueller
post Aug 16 2005, 04:51 PM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

After seeing Bretts post this morning on his project car (which is pretty darn cool), I was wondering what point is the car no longer a "914"

Is the line crossed when a different make of motor is put in?? almost any German motor is okay in my book

To you is an Audi motor okay but not a Subaru?
sorry, I cannot do the Suby, it's just "wrong" (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

What about the chassis?

For PCA racing, I believe one must have the firewalls and the longs...

As much as I like the full tube frame cars, they are no longer a 914, just an image of one.....

Suspension: Would swapping to modern P-car parts be okay? such as using the suspension from Boxster, I like the idea, but not allowed in PCA except X or fun runs I think

What about all new and non-P-car designed suspension?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bondo
post Aug 16 2005, 04:54 PM
Post #2

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

I figure I'm ok because the LT1 pistons are made by Mahle. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
john rogers
post Aug 16 2005, 05:09 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 391

For GT classes I thin in the IMSA days it had to be the door jams and firewall. With old SCCA it had to just be the windshield frame and glass only? Engine had to be "available from the factory" or as noted by the CP 914's with 2.0L engines and CP3 with 2.5L engines and stock fenders, etc. I guess the "heart" is what determines it? As with Ron Mistak's 914-GT1 it has a complete modern rear suspension console grafted to the back of the car, center seating and lots of tubes and PCA lets it run.
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post Aug 16 2005, 05:10 PM
Post #4

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166

Personally I don't care if my car is a 914 or not. Maybe that means I have no soul. For me the 914 is cool, but can be made more cool by doing things to it like replacing the engine, improving the suspension, etc. I still consider it a 914, but its not really important to me.

If the only thing left on the car is exterior body work, then there isn't much 914 left. Maybe its a 913.1 ? I'd say its up to the individual to decide where they stop calling something a 914 and start calling it a tube car with a 914 body.

Maybe when you exceed 50% of the 914ness with something other than 914 its no longer a 914??? But what is it that makes a 914 a 914? I bet that varies with time and who you ask...

-Tony

+Quote Post
Crazyhippy
post Aug 16 2005, 05:12 PM
Post #5

Insert witty comment here...

Member No.: 4,493

Chrysler had suspension designed by Lotus... does that make the car a lotus?

Or is it the motor that defines the car... Damn we worship a VW then (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/screwy.gif)

Is it what the logos say... Nope, that's the ricer mentality

I like to believe the intent of the car, it's soul if you will, is what classifies a car.

Sadly this mean a 914 w/ a Chevy small block is more porsche than a new 911 cab. It fit's in w/ F.Porsches philosophies better than the burl wood equiped tip tronic look at me cars being produced today.

That should get some responce (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/givemebeer.gif)
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Aug 16 2005, 05:23 PM
Post #6

no rules, just wrong

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 141

What's with the italics? Is that your gollum persona talking?
We likeses crazy-ass engine conversionses

+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Aug 16 2005, 05:36 PM
Post #7

Not another one!

Member No.: 1,743

As stated previously, the Subaru engine appears to have been based on the VW Type1 engine. Since the very first Porsches also used modified Type1s, I fail to see how the Subaru engine is not a perfectly valid engine for the 914. Meanwhile, Porsche has never used an inline-six, yet by your rules, a BMW inline six would be valid simply because it's German. What if I used a tiny two-stroke out of a DKW or a Wartburg?

The Wankel was invented at NSU, and appeared in a goodly number of NSU Ro80s, all German cars. Since the Mazda rotary is just an improved derivation of that engine, it too should be allowed under the "German rule". The factory even made a Wankel 914...

Porsche makes V8s...

btw, the 944 engine used a lot of technology licensed from Mitsubishi. Does that make it Japanese? Are BMWs assembled in the Carolinas American? How about Alabama-made Mercedes? The only Nissan I ever had was made in Tennessee, and the first two VWs I had weren't made in Germany...
+Quote Post
MikeP
post Aug 16 2005, 06:03 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 4,268

As long as it only runs 2-3 months a year it qualifies as a 914.
+Quote Post
LuckieO
post Aug 16 2005, 06:06 PM
Post #9

Series9's future ex-wife...

Member No.: 3,989

My next project will be a full tube frame mid-engine car, 3.6TT (600hp), G50 (or later) tranny and modern Porsche suspension.

The body work will be immediately identifiable as 914 and I intend to badge it accordingly.

To me, Porsche, Audi and VW engines are acceptable because they are, or have been, the same company. I will not consider BMW or Mercedes engines.

I consider myself to be a life-long 914 enthusiast and 914s will always play a central roll in my designs.
+Quote Post
Series9
post Aug 16 2005, 06:08 PM
Post #10

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

oooops.

The above statement was mine, not Luckie's.
+Quote Post
MattR
post Aug 16 2005, 06:20 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

I look for the sail panel when Im identifying 914s. You can spot the sail panel on any body kit (Chalon, Rayco, etc) quickly, and I think its the defining characteristic of the 914. If you cut off the sail panel, its lost its "914-ness" to me.

Crazy, eh?
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Aug 16 2005, 06:26 PM
Post #12

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/bootyshake.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/boid.gif) sorry had to, i see a suby engine just as the next step. if porsche had kept the design, i would think as emissions got harder the would have gone to the wasserboxer to keep temps under control. then when they found the problems the wasserboxer had it would have evolved in to basicly the suby motor. and at least it is aboxer motor, not a v or a inline anything

take a look at the suby motor, and a porsche 6 ( both air and water ) the suby looks a lot like a 6 with 2 cylinders cut off.

and i will throw in my hypo idea, does the guy who build 4 cylinder engines using 6 cylinder and pistons with a basicly cut down 6 crank count as a 914
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Aug 16 2005, 06:57 PM
Post #13

neo life

Member No.: 159

QUOTE (MikeP @ Aug 16 2005, 04:03 PM)
As long as it only runs 2-3 months a year it qualifies as a 914.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) due to current owner and age, not original design (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/chairfall.gif)
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Aug 16 2005, 07:00 PM
Post #14

neo life

Member No.: 159

QUOTE (MattR @ Aug 16 2005, 04:20 PM)
I look for the sail panel when Im identifying 914s.  You can spot the sail panel on any body kit (Chalon, Rayco, etc) quickly, and I think its the defining characteristic of the 914.  If you cut off the sail panel, its lost its "914-ness" to me.

Crazy, eh?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) based on aesthetic exterior body design. The targa and signal light pods are distinctive of the 914 styling...

If someone were to create I don't know let's say a modern version, these would be easily identifiable aka product identity. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Aug 16 2005, 07:16 PM
Post #15

no rules, just wrong

Member No.: 141

You can make it out of whatever you want, if it looks like a 914 then 95% of the Porsche "purists" out there will hate it, and that makes me love it all the more (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
drew365
post Aug 16 2005, 07:32 PM
Post #16

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

I think this is one of them rhetorical questions with no answer and Mueller is just funnin with us, see if he can get someone excited.
There's threads on FerrariChat about a rebuilt old race car thats been going on for over a year, with lots of experts and lots of pissed off people.
I think if it has enough of the original tub and VIN and is registered as a 914 than it's a 914.
Now if it's a race car with no VIN then you've got a bonnet full of bees. Or a can of worms, or a tempest in a teapot, or....
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 16 2005, 07:39 PM
Post #17

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

QUOTE (Neo914-6 @ Aug 16 2005, 05:00 PM)
QUOTE (MattR @ Aug 16 2005, 04:20 PM)
I look for the sail panel when Im identifying 914s.  You can spot the sail panel on any body kit (Chalon, Rayco, etc) quickly, and I think its the defining characteristic of the 914.  If you cut off the sail panel, its lost its "914-ness" to me.

Crazy, eh?

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) based on aesthetic exterior body design. The targa and signal light pods are distinctive of the 914 styling...

If someone were to create I don't know let's say a modern version, these would be easily identifiable aka product identity. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif)

I agree. That's why my car has them still.

There is a point that you're putting too much engine/HP in the 914 wheelbase even with a full tube frame. You can develop the package all you want but one day you will have to get away from the 914 shape and size to go fast. The twin turbo 914 that runs in PCA is still not the fastest car.

If I wanted to build a true tube frame P-car it would me modeled after a 908-3 not a 914. I think a 908-3 would be pretty easy to build or at least no harder than a 914. And much easier than a 917 with a -6.

It is the class rules that determine what you build and where you can run it. I think the GT-1 914 is grandfathered in PCA. You can't buld and race that car now.

P
+Quote Post
Rand
post Aug 16 2005, 11:26 PM
Post #18

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Make it what YOU want.

Some people want concourse.

Some people want all Porsche.

Some people are OK with a Suby or Chevy transplant.

How in the world do you tell if a Porsche six or a Raby 4 is more "Porsche-914-like?????"

If you are racing in a class that has rules, then you need to be concerned and comply. Otherwise....... MAKE IT YOURS!!!!

What turns YOUR crank???? MAKE IT YOURS!!!!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Aug 17 2005, 04:35 AM
Post #19

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE (Rand @ Aug 16 2005, 09:26 PM)

What turns YOUR crank???? MAKE IT YOURS!!!!

I think a 914 tub with the bottom rusted out would fit on this one pretty nicely:

E-Bay Euro "Supercar"

Wouldn't be much Porsche there, but would look line one, and it sure would be fun.
+Quote Post
RON S.
post Aug 17 2005, 04:41 AM
Post #20

9140430841, FINALLY RUNNING

Member No.: 724
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 16 2005, 02:51 PM)
After seeing Bretts post this morning on his project car (which is pretty darn cool), I was wondering what point is the car no longer a "914"

Is the line crossed when a different make of motor is put in?? almost any German motor is okay in my book

What about the chassis?

As much as I like the full tube frame cars, they are no longer a 914, just an image of one.....

In my own 2 cw,it probably comes down to ones taste.

What is one looking for in style or taste.

For me,I liken this is to kit bikes.I bought a real Harley from a real dealer back in '95.

Other guys watch American Chopper on tv and say that that is what they want.Difference is,the kit bike on A.C.doesn't have a single part on it with a Harley part#.Even the title won't say Harley.They call it a Harley.Trust me,the Harley guys know the difference.

Same thing with extremely modified 914's.
I saw a pic of one posted here some time back,came from England I think.Caption was the guy had to much time and money on his hands.Beautiful car,but just like the kit-bikes,it probably will end up being just another Garage Queen.Only to be brought out for some special event,where it's owner can brag to his friends about how much money & work it took to build it.

As for me,I wanna drive mine,I wanna see what it's potential is,and have fun with it.

Ron
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 08:57 AM