Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Replaced engine fuel lines and now starter won't hit... coincidence?
rbj914
post Aug 13 2023, 02:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,115
Region Association: South East States

What did I do? I replaced the engine compartment return fuel lines today and now the starter won't even hit. It was starting fine before I replaced the lines. I feel like I must have unplugged or grounded out something while I was in there, or maybe it is just coincidental.

The fuel pump runs when I turn the key and runs continuously when I turn the key all the way. I am no good with electronics, but what do I check? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

1970 car with a 73 2.0 D-Jet engine.

Update: Checked all connections. Unplugged the MPS then plugged it back in and it cranked right up. I also removed the air cleaner again. I have no confidence that's what caused this but grateful it cranked. Is it possible that was the issue?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Aug 13 2023, 04:10 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(rbj914 @ Aug 13 2023, 02:46 PM) *

What did I do? I replaced the engine compartment return fuel lines today and now the starter won't even hit. It was starting fine before I replaced the lines. I feel like I must have unplugged or grounded out something while I was in there, or maybe it is just coincidental.

The fuel pump runs when I turn the key and runs continuously when I turn the key all the way. I am no good with electronics, but what do I check? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Update: Checked all connections. Unplugged the MPS then plugged it back in and it cranked right up. I also removed the air cleaner again. I have no confidence that's what caused this but grateful it cranked. Is it possible that was the issue?

Mps is right there ... however you could have bumped a ground. I would have suspected a ground. As soon as you ask for some amps it can't give it to you. But the battery negative to the body is way up from there.
+Quote Post
rbj914
post Aug 14 2023, 11:41 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 26,115
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Aug 13 2023, 06:10 PM) *

QUOTE(rbj914 @ Aug 13 2023, 02:46 PM) *

Mps is right there ... however you could have bumped a ground. I would have suspected a ground. As soon as you ask for some amps it can't give it to you. But the battery negative to the body is way up from there.

Yes, I must have bumped a ground. Just hope it doesn't rear it's ugly head again! Thank you for your reply.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:45 PM