Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> seat reupholstery foam, seats
Medtner3
post Aug 27 2023, 11:39 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,467
Region Association: None

Getting ready to reupholster seats using 914 Rubber kit.

I bought replacement five inch foam and wondering about adding a layer of memory foam

Any suggestions? They sell 2 inch memory foam toppers but some of them are "cooling gel"" and some are scented trying to stay away from odors.

Is five inches regular foam and 2 inches memory foam too thick??

Thanks

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
sportlicherFahrer
post Aug 28 2023, 07:33 AM
Post #2

Nothing to see here.

Member No.: 3,945
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Guessing you're talking about the seat bottom here. 7 inches of foam sounds pretty thick. The bottom cushion is maybe 4 to 5 at it's thickest point and tapers down to just a couple inches at the back edge. The backrest is definitely less than 5. Think I used high density 1" there and also replaced the triangular pieces that are glued to the shell with HD 1/4" or 1/2" when I reskinned my seats. Stuff I found was an odd neon green which was slightly visible when not sitting in the seat, so I grabbed some matching black vinyl from the fabric store and cut a piece that covered the space on the shell from the shoulders to the bottom between the bolsters.

Edit: adding links for Ian's ( @iankarr ) videos of seat reupholstery. They helped me out during the process.

Seats part 1

Seats part 2
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 28 2023, 09:28 AM
Post #3

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Aug 28 2023, 06:33 AM) *

Guessing you're talking about the seat bottom here. 7 inches of foam sounds pretty thick. The bottom cushion is maybe 4 to 5 at it's thickest point and tapers down to just a couple inches at the back edge. The backrest is definitely less than 5. Think I used high density 1" there and also replaced the triangular pieces that are glued to the shell with HD 1/4" or 1/2" when I reskinned my seats. Stuff I found was an odd neon green which was slightly visible when not sitting in the seat, so I grabbed some matching black vinyl from the fabric store and cut a piece that covered the space on the shell from the shoulders to the bottom between the bolsters.

Edit: adding links for Ian's ( @iankarr ) videos of seat reupholstery. They helped me out during the process.

Seats part 1

Seats part 2

Add to that: I wouldn't recommend using coat hanger metal wire in place of the metal rod (I forget the correct term)that was OEM. The coat hanger wire will give (bow & bend) under tension resulting in wrinkles on the bolster which will require extra foam, massaging, shrinking to get it to lay flat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Medtner3
post Aug 28 2023, 09:54 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 24,467
Region Association: None

QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Aug 28 2023, 08:33 AM) *

Seats part 1

Seats part 2

Is adding memory foam a waste of time? I don't really drive the car much. I think I can use my 5" foam and cut it to the sizez I need. If you think memory foam is useful I could cut it in half and use two inches of that

Yes I am speaking specifically about the bottom seat cushions
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Aug 28 2023, 10:59 AM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I had a layer of memory foam put in mine and a few years later I had a thin layer of a denser foam added on top to give me a little more padding.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 01:17 PM