Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: seat reupholstery foam
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Medtner3
Getting ready to reupholster seats using 914 Rubber kit.

I bought replacement five inch foam and wondering about adding a layer of memory foam

Any suggestions? They sell 2 inch memory foam toppers but some of them are "cooling gel"" and some are scented trying to stay away from odors.

Is five inches regular foam and 2 inches memory foam too thick??

Thanks

sportlicherFahrer
Guessing you're talking about the seat bottom here. 7 inches of foam sounds pretty thick. The bottom cushion is maybe 4 to 5 at it's thickest point and tapers down to just a couple inches at the back edge. The backrest is definitely less than 5. Think I used high density 1" there and also replaced the triangular pieces that are glued to the shell with HD 1/4" or 1/2" when I reskinned my seats. Stuff I found was an odd neon green which was slightly visible when not sitting in the seat, so I grabbed some matching black vinyl from the fabric store and cut a piece that covered the space on the shell from the shoulders to the bottom between the bolsters.

Edit: adding links for Ian's ( @iankarr ) videos of seat reupholstery. They helped me out during the process.

Seats part 1

Seats part 2
76-914
QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Aug 28 2023, 06:33 AM) *

Guessing you're talking about the seat bottom here. 7 inches of foam sounds pretty thick. The bottom cushion is maybe 4 to 5 at it's thickest point and tapers down to just a couple inches at the back edge. The backrest is definitely less than 5. Think I used high density 1" there and also replaced the triangular pieces that are glued to the shell with HD 1/4" or 1/2" when I reskinned my seats. Stuff I found was an odd neon green which was slightly visible when not sitting in the seat, so I grabbed some matching black vinyl from the fabric store and cut a piece that covered the space on the shell from the shoulders to the bottom between the bolsters.

Edit: adding links for Ian's ( @iankarr ) videos of seat reupholstery. They helped me out during the process.

Seats part 1

Seats part 2

Add to that: I wouldn't recommend using coat hanger metal wire in place of the metal rod (I forget the correct term)that was OEM. The coat hanger wire will give (bow & bend) under tension resulting in wrinkles on the bolster which will require extra foam, massaging, shrinking to get it to lay flat. beerchug.gif
Medtner3
QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Aug 28 2023, 08:33 AM) *

Seats part 1

Seats part 2

Is adding memory foam a waste of time? I don't really drive the car much. I think I can use my 5" foam and cut it to the sizez I need. If you think memory foam is useful I could cut it in half and use two inches of that

Yes I am speaking specifically about the bottom seat cushions
PanelBilly
I had a layer of memory foam put in mine and a few years later I had a thin layer of a denser foam added on top to give me a little more padding.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.