Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Removable Rear Fog Light idea, ..looking for solutions
Literati914
post Sep 8 2023, 10:23 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

So this is just a thought I’ve not yet been able to shake.. so I thought I’d explore the options for making it work.
I don’t get too exited about adding a permanent rear fog light to the rear bumper (I wouldn’t need it most of the time, plus I have rubber trunk straps and the area could get a little too busy visually, imho).

So I thought I might add a permanent one under the back of the targa frame… where there are already 3 threaded holes for mounting accessory racks, etc., behind the driver.

I like the idea, but a removable unit in that location would be even better imho. I’m currently running extra wires thru my harness for various items (including a 3rd brake light) , so now is the time to decide on a rear fog light.

I could probably come up with a low profile mount that would remain mounted with the idea of attaching and removing the light itself with wing nuts. That’s the basic idea, but open to whatever (including removing the mount too, if possible).

Does anyone know of an ideal waterproof electrical plug that might work? Plus I’m all ears on mounting ideas!

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sportlicherFahrer
post Sep 8 2023, 10:42 AM
Post #2

Nothing to see here.

Member No.: 3,945
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

There is a wide variety of plugs that could work depending on what you're after. Wirecare.com would be great place to start your search.

Wirecare.com connectors and parts
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Sep 8 2023, 11:03 AM
Post #3

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

If you mount it on a metal surface a rare-earth magnet attached to your light will be plenty strong.
See Apex magnets.com
They have every size and shape, even some with countersunk holes.
I attached my rear license plate frame to my chrome bumper with them
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 8 2023, 02:04 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 8 2023, 09:23 AM) *
So I thought I might add a permanent one under the back of the targa frame… where there are already 3 threaded holes for mounting accessory racks, etc., behind the driver.

Probably illegal in any state as there are height restrictions for fog lights.
Under the targa bar is way too high.

Fog lights are BRIGHT and will blind any driver behind you at that height.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Sep 8 2023, 02:11 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 8 2023, 04:04 PM) *

Why let that stop the fun?

I’m constantly being blinded by folks that have swapped in LED headlamps, Angel Eyes, or aftermarket LED light bars / fog lamps and don’t know or care to aim them properly.

All part of the Mad Max driving world. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
porscheteck914
post Sep 8 2023, 02:37 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 27,247
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 8 2023, 03:11 PM) *

I’m constantly being blinded by folks that have swapped in LED headlamps, Angel Eyes, or aftermarket LED light bars / fog lamps and don’t know or care to aim them properly.

the fun .... Yea Its them J- donkeys in the big pickup trucks that cause me the most trouble. I think if ya have a small oscar meier the bigger truck wif more lights ya gotta get !
+Quote Post
Craigers17
post Sep 8 2023, 03:02 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 21,317
Region Association: South East States

What is the purpose of having a fog light pointed towards the rear? I know there must be a reason for it. The only thing I can think of is backing out of a driveway on a REALLY foggy day?
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Sep 8 2023, 03:37 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 24,781

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Sep 8 2023, 02:02 PM) *

What is the purpose of having a fog light pointed towards the rear? I know there must be a reason for it. The only thing I can think of is backing out of a driveway on a REALLY foggy day?

When I lived in pacific beach, coming in from Los Angeles on the freeway, the fog along the coast could be thick. The rearward facing fog light is to let everyone else behind you know where you are.
+Quote Post
technicalninja
post Sep 8 2023, 03:40 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 27,135

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I want a 65w high beam out back but only when I'm in reverse.

I cannot imagine why a rear mounted fog light is even a thing...

If it's to make your car more visible to the car behind you I'd go the "Spoke Route"
FIRST!
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Sep 8 2023, 03:41 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Shivers @ Sep 8 2023, 05:37 PM) *

When I lived in pacific beach, coming in from Los Angeles on the freeway, the fog along the coast could be thick. The rearward facing fog light is to let everyone else behind you know where you are.

Misinformation: it’s so that when following another vehicle in thick fog, at imprudent speeds, you can then more easily follow that car into the ditch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Sep 8 2023, 03:44 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 8 2023, 02:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Shivers @ Sep 8 2023, 05:37 PM) *

Misinformation: it’s so that when following another vehicle in thick fog, at imprudent speeds, you can then more easily follow that car into the ditch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

So that’s why that happened...(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 8 2023, 04:14 PM
Post #12

Resident German

As someone who grew up in an area with very dense fog in the fall months, i can tell you that rear fog lights are a life saver.

Your normal tail lights aren't visible in that kind of fog and anyone coming up behind you will not see you until it is too late.

The red rear fog light is so bright on purpose (much brighter than your brake lights). It cuts through the thick fog and allows other drivers to see you early.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Sep 8 2023, 04:46 PM
Post #13

Yeah, I don’t want to get plowed into while driving cross country in the middle of the night thru a thick impromptu fog bank.. miles from a hotel. So a ticket would be preferable IF a cop would even see it as illegal. I wouldn’t tend to think they’d want to pull off to the side of the road for a BS offense either, because of the risk they’d get hit, JMHO. Besides you could point to many modern cars with rear fogs, as an on site defense - after explaining that it’s an original feature of this early ‘70s European based car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) . If he sites its height as the problem, I’d be really surprised, and pay up I guess. It wouldn’t be used unless absolutely needed and if removable DOT wouldn’t question it either (I usually get inspected at any ‘ol’ hole in the wall place anyway - always surprised how they fly thru the process).

+Quote Post
windforfun
post Sep 8 2023, 05:58 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 8,476
Region Association: None

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 8 2023, 03:14 PM) *

As someone who grew up in an area with very dense fog in the fall months, i can tell you that rear fog lights are a life saver.

Your normal tail lights aren't visible in that kind of fog and anyone coming up behind you will not see you until it is too late.

The red rear fog light is so bright on purpose (much brighter than your brake lights). It cuts through the thick fog and allows other drivers to see you early.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Sep 8 2023, 06:50 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 8 2023, 03:46 PM) *

Yeah, I don’t want to get plowed into while driving cross country in the middle of the night thru a thick impromptu fog bank.. miles from a hotel. So a ticket would be preferable IF a cop would even see it as illegal. I wouldn’t tend to think they’d want to pull off to the side of the road for a BS offense either, because of the risk they’d get hit, JMHO. Besides you could point to many modern cars with rear fogs, as an on site defense - after explaining that it’s an original feature of this early ‘70s European based car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) . If he sites its height as the problem, I’d be really surprised, and pay up I guess. It wouldn’t be used unless absolutely needed and if removable DOT wouldn’t question it either (I usually get inspected at any ‘ol’ hole in the wall place anyway - always surprised how they fly thru the process).

This is what I could find for CA:

“Section 24602 - Red fog taillamps
(a) A vehicle may be equipped with not more than two red fog taillamps mounted on the rear which may be lighted, in addition to the required taillamps, only when atmospheric conditions, such as fog, rain, snow, smoke, or dust, reduce the daytime or nighttime visibility of other vehicles to less than 500 feet.
(b) The lamps authorized under subdivision (a) shall be installed as follows:
(1) When two lamps are installed, one shall be mounted at the left side and one at the right side at the same level and as close as practical to the sides. When one lamp is installed, it shall be mounted as close as practical to the left side or on the center of the vehicle.
(2) The lamps shall be mounted not lower than 12 inches nor higher than 60 inches.
(3) The edge of the lens of the lamp shall be no closer than four inches from the edge of the lens of any stoplamp.
(4) The lamps shall be wired so they can be turned on only when the headlamps are on and shall have a switch that allows them to be turned off when the headlamps are on.
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Sep 8 2023, 10:05 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(Shivers @ Sep 8 2023, 07:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 8 2023, 03:46 PM) *

This is what I could find for CA:

“Section 24602 - Red fog taillamps
(a) A vehicle may be equipped with not more than two red fog taillamps mounted on the rear which may be lighted, in addition to the required taillamps, only when atmospheric conditions, such as fog, rain, snow, smoke, or dust, reduce the daytime or nighttime visibility of other vehicles to less than 500 feet.
(b) The lamps authorized under subdivision (a) shall be installed as follows:
(1) When two lamps are installed, one shall be mounted at the left side and one at the right side at the same level and as close as practical to the sides. When one lamp is installed, it shall be mounted as close as practical to the left side or on the center of the vehicle.
(2) The lamps shall be mounted not lower than 12 inches nor higher than 60 inches.
(3) The edge of the lens of the lamp shall be no closer than four inches from the edge of the lens of any stoplamp.
(4) The lamps shall be wired so they can be turned on only when the headlamps are on and shall have a switch that allows them to be turned off when the headlamps are on.

looks like I'd be good then. Thanks.
So, any other installation ideas? Ideally I could find a low profile, surface mounted 2-pin female plug (that mounts via a snap-in body, or even a couple of small sheet metal screws). Putting it up in the very inside corner of targa frame and dropping the wiring down internally thru the sail panel area and into the engine compartment by the relay board. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 9 2023, 12:00 AM
Post #17

Resident German

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 8 2023, 09:05 PM) *

So, any other installation ideas?

Ok, i have to ask: What exactly is wrong with the factory location?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-346-1430619506_thumb.jpg)
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Sep 9 2023, 01:49 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 9 2023, 12:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 8 2023, 09:05 PM) *

So, any other installation ideas?

Ok, i have to ask: What exactly is wrong with the factory location?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-346-1430619506_thumb.jpg)

mmmmm (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

its pretty hard to outthink the germans when it comes to making the functional look fantastic. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
its always the exactly correct amount of brutal logic. not too much but definitely enough.

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 9 2023, 04:51 AM
Post #19

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 8 2023, 05:11 PM) *

I just don’t go out at night. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Sep 9 2023, 09:28 AM
Post #20

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

Check out how the modern Porsche incorporates the fog light into the rear break light assembly
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 01:48 AM