Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removable Rear Fog Light idea
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
So this is just a thought I’ve not yet been able to shake.. so I thought I’d explore the options for making it work.
I don’t get too exited about adding a permanent rear fog light to the rear bumper (I wouldn’t need it most of the time, plus I have rubber trunk straps and the area could get a little too busy visually, imho).

So I thought I might add a permanent one under the back of the targa frame… where there are already 3 threaded holes for mounting accessory racks, etc., behind the driver.

I like the idea, but a removable unit in that location would be even better imho. I’m currently running extra wires thru my harness for various items (including a 3rd brake light) , so now is the time to decide on a rear fog light.

I could probably come up with a low profile mount that would remain mounted with the idea of attaching and removing the light itself with wing nuts. That’s the basic idea, but open to whatever (including removing the mount too, if possible).

Does anyone know of an ideal waterproof electrical plug that might work? Plus I’m all ears on mounting ideas!

sportlicherFahrer
There is a wide variety of plugs that could work depending on what you're after. Wirecare.com would be great place to start your search.

Wirecare.com connectors and parts
jim_hoyland
If you mount it on a metal surface a rare-earth magnet attached to your light will be plenty strong.
See Apex magnets.com
They have every size and shape, even some with countersunk holes.
I attached my rear license plate frame to my chrome bumper with them
SirAndy
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 8 2023, 09:23 AM) *
So I thought I might add a permanent one under the back of the targa frame… where there are already 3 threaded holes for mounting accessory racks, etc., behind the driver.

Probably illegal in any state as there are height restrictions for fog lights.
Under the targa bar is way too high.

Fog lights are BRIGHT and will blind any driver behind you at that height.
popcorn[1].gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 8 2023, 04:04 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Why let that stop the fun?

I’m constantly being blinded by folks that have swapped in LED headlamps, Angel Eyes, or aftermarket LED light bars / fog lamps and don’t know or care to aim them properly.

All part of the Mad Max driving world. laugh.gif
porscheteck914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 8 2023, 03:11 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

I’m constantly being blinded by folks that have swapped in LED headlamps, Angel Eyes, or aftermarket LED light bars / fog lamps and don’t know or care to aim them properly.

the fun .... Yea Its them J- donkeys in the big pickup trucks that cause me the most trouble. I think if ya have a small oscar meier the bigger truck wif more lights ya gotta get !
Craigers17
What is the purpose of having a fog light pointed towards the rear? I know there must be a reason for it. The only thing I can think of is backing out of a driveway on a REALLY foggy day?
Shivers
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Sep 8 2023, 02:02 PM) *

What is the purpose of having a fog light pointed towards the rear? I know there must be a reason for it. The only thing I can think of is backing out of a driveway on a REALLY foggy day?

When I lived in pacific beach, coming in from Los Angeles on the freeway, the fog along the coast could be thick. The rearward facing fog light is to let everyone else behind you know where you are.
technicalninja
agree.gif

I want a 65w high beam out back but only when I'm in reverse.

I cannot imagine why a rear mounted fog light is even a thing...

If it's to make your car more visible to the car behind you I'd go the "Spoke Route"
FIRST!
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Shivers @ Sep 8 2023, 05:37 PM) *

When I lived in pacific beach, coming in from Los Angeles on the freeway, the fog along the coast could be thick. The rearward facing fog light is to let everyone else behind you know where you are.

Misinformation: it’s so that when following another vehicle in thick fog, at imprudent speeds, you can then more easily follow that car into the ditch. happy11.gif
Shivers
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 8 2023, 02:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Shivers @ Sep 8 2023, 05:37 PM) *

Misinformation: it’s so that when following another vehicle in thick fog, at imprudent speeds, you can then more easily follow that car into the ditch. happy11.gif

So that’s why that happened...huh.gif
SirAndy

As someone who grew up in an area with very dense fog in the fall months, i can tell you that rear fog lights are a life saver.

Your normal tail lights aren't visible in that kind of fog and anyone coming up behind you will not see you until it is too late.

The red rear fog light is so bright on purpose (much brighter than your brake lights). It cuts through the thick fog and allows other drivers to see you early.
shades.gif
Literati914
Yeah, I don’t want to get plowed into while driving cross country in the middle of the night thru a thick impromptu fog bank.. miles from a hotel. So a ticket would be preferable IF a cop would even see it as illegal. I wouldn’t tend to think they’d want to pull off to the side of the road for a BS offense either, because of the risk they’d get hit, JMHO. Besides you could point to many modern cars with rear fogs, as an on site defense - after explaining that it’s an original feature of this early ‘70s European based car shades.gif . If he sites its height as the problem, I’d be really surprised, and pay up I guess. It wouldn’t be used unless absolutely needed and if removable DOT wouldn’t question it either (I usually get inspected at any ‘ol’ hole in the wall place anyway - always surprised how they fly thru the process).

windforfun
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 8 2023, 03:14 PM) *

As someone who grew up in an area with very dense fog in the fall months, i can tell you that rear fog lights are a life saver.

Your normal tail lights aren't visible in that kind of fog and anyone coming up behind you will not see you until it is too late.

The red rear fog light is so bright on purpose (much brighter than your brake lights). It cuts through the thick fog and allows other drivers to see you early.
shades.gif

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
Shivers
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 8 2023, 03:46 PM) *

Yeah, I don’t want to get plowed into while driving cross country in the middle of the night thru a thick impromptu fog bank.. miles from a hotel. So a ticket would be preferable IF a cop would even see it as illegal. I wouldn’t tend to think they’d want to pull off to the side of the road for a BS offense either, because of the risk they’d get hit, JMHO. Besides you could point to many modern cars with rear fogs, as an on site defense - after explaining that it’s an original feature of this early ‘70s European based car shades.gif . If he sites its height as the problem, I’d be really surprised, and pay up I guess. It wouldn’t be used unless absolutely needed and if removable DOT wouldn’t question it either (I usually get inspected at any ‘ol’ hole in the wall place anyway - always surprised how they fly thru the process).

This is what I could find for CA:

“Section 24602 - Red fog taillamps
(a) A vehicle may be equipped with not more than two red fog taillamps mounted on the rear which may be lighted, in addition to the required taillamps, only when atmospheric conditions, such as fog, rain, snow, smoke, or dust, reduce the daytime or nighttime visibility of other vehicles to less than 500 feet.
(b) The lamps authorized under subdivision (a) shall be installed as follows:
(1) When two lamps are installed, one shall be mounted at the left side and one at the right side at the same level and as close as practical to the sides. When one lamp is installed, it shall be mounted as close as practical to the left side or on the center of the vehicle.
(2) The lamps shall be mounted not lower than 12 inches nor higher than 60 inches.
(3) The edge of the lens of the lamp shall be no closer than four inches from the edge of the lens of any stoplamp.
(4) The lamps shall be wired so they can be turned on only when the headlamps are on and shall have a switch that allows them to be turned off when the headlamps are on.
Literati914
QUOTE(Shivers @ Sep 8 2023, 07:50 PM) *

This is what I could find for CA:

“Section 24602 - Red fog taillamps
(a) A vehicle may be equipped with not more than two red fog taillamps mounted on the rear which may be lighted, in addition to the required taillamps, only when atmospheric conditions, such as fog, rain, snow, smoke, or dust, reduce the daytime or nighttime visibility of other vehicles to less than 500 feet.
(b) The lamps authorized under subdivision (a) shall be installed as follows:
(1) When two lamps are installed, one shall be mounted at the left side and one at the right side at the same level and as close as practical to the sides. When one lamp is installed, it shall be mounted as close as practical to the left side or on the center of the vehicle.
(2) The lamps shall be mounted not lower than 12 inches nor higher than 60 inches.
(3) The edge of the lens of the lamp shall be no closer than four inches from the edge of the lens of any stoplamp.
(4) The lamps shall be wired so they can be turned on only when the headlamps are on and shall have a switch that allows them to be turned off when the headlamps are on.

looks like I'd be good then. Thanks.
So, any other installation ideas? Ideally I could find a low profile, surface mounted 2-pin female plug (that mounts via a snap-in body, or even a couple of small sheet metal screws). Putting it up in the very inside corner of targa frame and dropping the wiring down internally thru the sail panel area and into the engine compartment by the relay board. idea.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 8 2023, 09:05 PM) *

So, any other installation ideas?

Ok, i have to ask: What exactly is wrong with the factory location?
idea.gif

IPB Image
wonkipop
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 9 2023, 12:00 AM) *

idea.gif

IPB Image

mmmmm agree.gif

its pretty hard to outthink the germans when it comes to making the functional look fantastic. beer.gif beerchug.gif
its always the exactly correct amount of brutal logic. not too much but definitely enough.

ConeDodger
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Sep 8 2023, 05:11 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

I just don’t go out at night. blink.gif
jim_hoyland
Check out how the modern Porsche incorporates the fog light into the rear break light assembly
Jett
The rear light location looks right…. We also have a stock three position switch for the fog lights smile.gif
Literati914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 9 2023, 01:00 AM) *

idea.gif

IPB Image

Nothing at all wrong with it of course.. yes Porsche did a great job, I just like my idea better, and hopefully nobody that’s done one will be offended by my preference for an alternate location confused24.gif .

Not that it’s much of an issue, but if anything, I personally like the idea of it being placed a little higher than normal. There’s a hell of a lot of 18 wheelers out running the interstates at night, it could be argued that a higher mount would be preferable, jmho.

Also, since I’d rarely need it locally, and might just prefer to leave it off when not on a road trip or during local inclement weather - the original location becomes less attractive as the bracket would remain visible or holes/plugs for it (though rare earth magnets were a recommendation earlier in the thread), electrical plug.

Doing one in the traditional way is easy enough, and I like it.. I’m not necessarily opposed, even permanently mounted. If I can’t find an ideal electrical plug, I may consider it.

Literati914
QUOTE(Jett @ Sep 9 2023, 11:32 AM) *

The rear light location looks right…. We also have a stock three position switch for the fog lights smile.gif

Hey @Jett , can you give me details on this? Are you saying that the stock 914 Foglight switch would incorporate the addition of a rear light… or that you’ve found a particularly good switch for adding a rear light? Thanks.

73-914
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Sep 8 2023, 05:02 PM) *

Rear Fog light is RED like brake light and same wattage
Shivers
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 9 2023, 10:32 AM) *

Hey @Jett , can you give me details on this? Are you saying that the stock 914 Foglight switch would incorporate the addition of a rear light… or that you’ve found a particularly good switch for adding a rear light? Thanks.

Yes please smile.gif
Jett
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Sep 9 2023, 10:32 AM) *

We bought a 911 three position (including off) switch with 914 inset.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...;hl=fog++switch
Cal
The three position switch is actually a 914 part number. I have this switch mounted in my 914 and my SWB 911. Below are photos of both the stock 914 fog light switch and the three position switch along with the correct harness.
Jett
QUOTE(Cal @ Sep 10 2023, 04:51 AM) *

The three position switch is actually a 914 part number. I have this switch mounted in my 914 and my SWB 911. Below are photos of both the stock 914 fog light switch and the three position switch along with the correct harness.

Thanks, I was not sure if it was the 911 or 914 part.
burton73

So, I am going to tell a story of heavy fog on my way to Lake Tahoe when I was 19. I am driving in my 67 Cougar XR7, this is in 1972, the fog was so heavy I could hardly see anything. I really had to look very hard to see taillights on the cars in front of me.( I was looking so hard that my head was closer to the windshield as if that would help) Just as the fog lifted, I came on to a car with no rear taillights on or broken and for sure if that was 30 seconds before I would of smashed into this guy.

Just now reading this posting I flashed on this story. Now that I am 70, I do that more often.

Bob B

confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.