Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How did my high beams kill my ignition?
87m491
post Sep 14 2023, 05:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,731
Region Association: North East States

After doing some bottom side work on my car last weekend (on ramps), and some dash bulb replacements, I went back topside to drive off the ramps (12 hours later) and absolutely no signs of life when ignition key is turned. No generator light, no oil light nada and of course no cranking. No fuses were blown. While the ignition switch hadn't exhibited symptoms of failing I figured I'd swap it out with a spare I had.

I swapped in the spare today. A bit of PITA so I went down an electrical check list before fully buttoning it up. Key on, dash lights check (generator and oil pressure, still stock incandescent bulbs) . Cranked over and instant start, check.

Installed the directional and wiper switch stalk so I can check the functioning turn signals, check. All the illumination LEDs I installed in the gauges this week, check. Running lights, check. Headlights up and check. High beams to check high beam LED, saw the high beam indicator light, heard a relay, click, momentary check, then the dash went dark!
Again, no fuses blown.

Now I am back to the symptoms that led me to think it was the ignition switch. No lights at all on the dash with key on and of course no cranking. Hazards work, 1st position headlight switch items, gauge illumination works, 2nd position headlights do not and fogs do not.

Data point, all of these items worked before the day before my first "dead electrical' experience last weekend. All wiring that I know of is stock.

Looks like 'll be getting friendly with my multimeter once the coming storm passes through the northeast.

Ideas BTDTs welcome.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 10:59 AM