Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Electronic Ignition?, Sould I go to an electronic ignition
914beginner
post Jul 27 2003, 09:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 950

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if I needed to go to an electronic ignition. I really don't like fooling around with points. If I do go with and EI what do I need to consider and what should I get? I know that Pertronix offers one, are there others? And what brand is the best?

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 27 2003, 09:43 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I just put a Pertronix in yesterday and I am amazed at the difference on the low end. Much smoother. WOW! Plus my tach needle doesn't bounce all over the place any more!

FYI if you do put one in you can't leave the key in the "on" position without the car running for any amount of time or it will fry it very quickly.

Chris H.
+Quote Post
Alfred
post Jul 27 2003, 10:24 PM
Post #3

Unregistered

Compufire makes one. I believe you need to ask for the one that fits the VW distributor with vacuum advance.

Alfred
+Quote Post
airsix
post Jul 27 2003, 10:45 PM
Post #4

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

The Crane XR700 or XR3000 are the most common "top shelf" electronic ignition upgrades for the 914. They are about $125/$165 respectively. There have been reports of Pertronix failures by quite a few people, but also many who have reported no trouble.

I've run two electronic ignitions. One was magnetic like the Pertronix and the current one is optical like the Crane. I really like the optical because it does not seem to be affected much by distributor shaft wobble.

Any electronic ignition you go with will probably smooth your idle some. I also notice improvement between 5k-6k rpm where I was getting point-bounce before, but the ignition signal is nice and smooth now (before/after compared on a scope)

You don't need an electronic ignition, but it is a nice upgrade.

-Ben M.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 07:02 PM