Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electronic Ignition?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914beginner
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if I needed to go to an electronic ignition. I really don't like fooling around with points. If I do go with and EI what do I need to consider and what should I get? I know that Pertronix offers one, are there others? And what brand is the best?

Thanks!
Chris H.
I just put a Pertronix in yesterday and I am amazed at the difference on the low end. Much smoother. WOW! Plus my tach needle doesn't bounce all over the place any more!

FYI if you do put one in you can't leave the key in the "on" position without the car running for any amount of time or it will fry it very quickly.

Chris H.
Alfred
Compufire makes one. I believe you need to ask for the one that fits the VW distributor with vacuum advance.

Alfred
airsix
The Crane XR700 or XR3000 are the most common "top shelf" electronic ignition upgrades for the 914. They are about $125/$165 respectively. There have been reports of Pertronix failures by quite a few people, but also many who have reported no trouble.

I've run two electronic ignitions. One was magnetic like the Pertronix and the current one is optical like the Crane. I really like the optical because it does not seem to be affected much by distributor shaft wobble.

Any electronic ignition you go with will probably smooth your idle some. I also notice improvement between 5k-6k rpm where I was getting point-bounce before, but the ignition signal is nice and smooth now (before/after compared on a scope)

You don't need an electronic ignition, but it is a nice upgrade.

-Ben M.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.