Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Subaru conversion
Zaffer
post Oct 18 2023, 03:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,343
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I am at a crossroads at the moment. Once I get my Mini Clubman back on the road, I am planning on finally getting on my ‘75 with rust elimination/mitigation. While I’m doing this, it would be the perfect time to make the modifications necessary to do a Subaru conversion, but I’m torn.

My issue is this: if I keep the Type IV 2.0L, I’ll bump it to a 2056 with factory FI. The car won’t be the original color, and I plan to do other minor mods, so not looking for a correct restoration. However, I’m afraid I’ll eventually want more power, but don’t want to spend the big bucks on a 6 conversion. OR I can modify the tub while it’s all apart and do a Subie conversion. I’m just torn between the two.

My main questions are as follows:
- For those of you who did the Subaru conversion, what was the deciding factor?
- Do you regret doing it?
- Any real issues?

Is there anyone who hasn’t done it that wishes they had?

My main concern used to be losing the frunk, but this car will mainly be for day trips, so not a big deal. The additional power would be nice, and with needing to rebuild my 2.0L anyway, that money would go a ways for the conversion. I know factory 2.0L’s are getting harder to find, especially with factory FI, and with prices going up, makes it a harder decision, so I would like honest opinions, and pictures would be great!

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
mepstein
post Oct 18 2023, 05:11 AM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

Adding a radiator doesn’t mean you loose the entire front trunk. Maybe the front third. You can still mount a collapsible spare against the fuel tank bulkhead.

*I’ll be selling everything to do a Suby SVX conversion. Engine, trans, axles, cable shifter, radiator, etc. as one big kit, priced less than it cost me. I sold the car that I was going to convert so now it’s time to sell the Suby parts.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Oct 18 2023, 05:18 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

Just curious?

how does a Subi vs /6 stack up powerwise.

Assuming basically stock components
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 18 2023, 05:28 AM
Post #4

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(930cabman @ Oct 18 2023, 06:18 AM) *

Just curious?

That's a tall question. Which six? Which Subi motor?

A stock 2.0L six motor will be outclassed HP wise by any Subi motor. But a 3.6 will have more power than the majority of the Subi motors.

My opinion, and it is just that, an opinion..... the best conversion is a Euro 3.2 with the original Motronic injection, paired to a 915 with the Martin Bott conversion kit. If you use factory heat exchangers, you lose a little HP due to the tubes being too small. Other than the Martin Bott trans conversion, it is all factory parts. It will be reliable and fun.

And I don't like the way 915s shift. But that is my hangup.

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 18 2023, 06:48 AM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(930cabman @ Oct 18 2023, 07:18 AM) *

Just curious?

The SVX engine that I have is almost the same weight and hp as a 3.2 Carrera engine. About 450 lbs and 210 hp.

3.2 with the original Motronic injection.$20-30k
915 with the Martin Bott conversion kit. $12-15k
$32-45k

Similar 3.3 Suby engine with similar 5 speed transmission
Subaru engine - $1-2k
Subaru trans - $1k
$2-3k

Both conversions will need additional parts to install in the car.

+Quote Post
digit3
post Oct 18 2023, 07:23 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 23,665
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 18 2023, 07:48 AM) *

Just curious?

The SVX engine that I have is almost the same weight and hp as a 3.2 Carrera engine. About 450 lbs and 210 hp.

3.2 with the original Motronic injection.$20-30k
915 with the Martin Bott conversion kit. $12-15k
$32-45k

Similar 3.3 Suby engine with similar 5 speed transmission
Subaru engine - $1-2k
Subaru trans - $1k
$2-3k

Both conversions will need additional parts to install in the car.

PM sent
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 18 2023, 08:11 AM
Post #7

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Zaffer @ Oct 18 2023, 02:43 AM) *

I am at a crossroads at the moment. Once I get my Mini Clubman back on the road, I am planning on finally getting on my ‘75 with rust elimination/mitigation. While I’m doing this, it would be the perfect time to make the modifications necessary to do a Subaru conversion, but I’m torn.

My issue is this: if I keep the Type IV 2.0L, I’ll bump it to a 2056 with factory FI. The car won’t be the original color, and I plan to do other minor mods, so not looking for a correct restoration. However, I’m afraid I’ll eventually want more power, but don’t want to spend the big bucks on a 6 conversion. OR I can modify the tub while it’s all apart and do a Subie conversion. I’m just torn between the two.

- Any real issues?

My main concern used to be losing the frunk, but this car will mainly be for day trips, so not a big deal. The additional power would be nice, and with needing to rebuild my 2.0L anyway, that money would go a ways for the conversion. I know factory 2.0L’s are getting harder to find, especially with factory FI, and with prices going up, makes it a harder decision, so I would like honest opinions, and pictures would be great!

Thanks!

Cost, Cost, Cost
Not no way, not no how.
- Any real issues?
Not if you have thick skin.

Here is the kicker. You can replace an entire Subaru engine for less that $1500. You can't buy parts for your Type 4 for that amount. Reliability is another. Reach in the window and start your Subaru engine., Try that with a Type 4 or a carbed 6. If you want to attend distant 914 events you won't need to bring a truckload of spare parts. I could go on & on. Check out Subaru Powered Porsches & Watered Down 914's on FaceBook for a detailed insight.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 18 2023, 10:52 AM
Post #8

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

Just curious?

in stock non-turbo form:

The classic ej20 was about 120hp. Hundreds of thousands of them exist and they were the popular option to put into VW buses. A subi ej2.2 was about 130 hp. A ej2.5 was about 150-165 depending on the year. Produced for over a decade these things are all over the place and pretty reliable.
When you want to add turbos to the mix power figures tend to jump to about 400hp (crank) before things start breaking.

I've driven a couple 914s now with subaru engines. They are totally different cars. The higher HP cars are rocket ships. Faster to be sure, but not necessarily better then a T4 powered 914. It really depends what you want out of the car.

Zach
+Quote Post
rmarx
post Oct 18 2023, 11:28 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 7,784

QUOTE(Zaffer @ Oct 18 2023, 02:43 AM) *

- Any real issues?

Thanks!

I have all the parts needed to make a Subaru EZ30R conversion. PM me to discuss if you like.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Oct 18 2023, 11:47 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

All great information, hope this answered some of the questions for the OP, know it did for me and I am sure others.

This board rocks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Oct 18 2023, 01:58 PM
Post #11

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431

QUOTE(930cabman @ Oct 18 2023, 04:18 AM) *

Just curious?

About the same for the same displacement. Subi 6 is based on the Porsche 6 so the power band is similar... mostly up top.

Stock Subi 2.5L is 175hp, which makes for a fun sports car. The 3.0L is 220hp IIRC which is more fun and feels and alot like a Porsche 6. The Subi trans is decades better and near perfect with cable shift. The 2.5L turbo gets wicked fast.

There are expenses with axles and mounts/cradle and the Link ECU, plus wiring, but you end up with a modern drivetrain with parts found everywhere if you need one. Drivability is also decades better with modern FI.

You lose about half with the rad in the frunk but you can still have a usable frunk with ducting.

My 3.0L is torquey enough that I start in 2nd and use 3rd mostly around town.
+Quote Post
Zaffer
post Oct 18 2023, 05:34 PM
Post #12

Yeah, it definitely answered some questions. I didn’t realize you only lost part of the front trunk as the ones I recall seeing utilized the entire bottom of the trunk for a radiator.

I guess with everything that needs to be done for the conversion, total cost is around 10K? I’m definitely not doing a Porsche six conversion as the engines alone are now going for at least that! I would like reliability and while I know the Type IVs can be that, you’ll spend 8-10K tog er it to that point and then you’re still dealing with 50 year old tech.

I’ve owned 2 Subies in the past: ‘98 Outback and ‘05 Outback XT. I loved both cars, but definitely loved the XT more due to the Turbo, which would beat my parent’s 3.0R, but mine was a manual. I would probably stick a four banger and most likely a 2.5 Turbo, just not sure how difficult it is to make the turbo work properly.

Definitely leaning towards the conversion so I can have something that uber reliable and cheap to repair as I’m getting over keeping it original and just making it mine.

Any pics?
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 18 2023, 05:35 PM
Post #13

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

If you go this route I highly suggest that you buy a running donor car. CoPart is a good source. The EZ 6's are 300K engines if treated correctly. The USA models all came with automatics and were in Subaru's upper line cars so they are usually in good shape. If you buy a donor then you have the harness and ECU complimentary not to mention a hoard of other items. You can sell the shell to a junkyard after you cannibalize it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 18 2023, 07:20 PM
Post #14

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Zaffer @ Oct 18 2023, 07:34 PM) *

Yeah, it definitely answered some questions. I didn’t realize you only lost part of the front trunk as the ones I recall seeing utilized the entire bottom of the trunk for a radiator.

I guess with everything that needs to be done for the conversion, total cost is around 10K? I’m definitely not doing a Porsche six conversion as the engines alone are now going for at least that! I would like reliability and while I know the Type IVs can be that, you’ll spend 8-10K tog er it to that point and then you’re still dealing with 50 year old tech.

I’ve owned 2 Subies in the past: ‘98 Outback and ‘05 Outback XT. I loved both cars, but definitely loved the XT more due to the Turbo, which would beat my parent’s 3.0R, but mine was a manual. I would probably stick a four banger and most likely a 2.5 Turbo, just not sure how difficult it is to make the turbo work properly.

Definitely leaning towards the conversion so I can have something that uber reliable and cheap to repair as I’m getting over keeping it original and just making it mine.

Any pics?

EG33 Engine - top end reseal, water pump, belts, gaskets, etc, $1,000, small car header $700, custom bulkhead engine mount $500, engine to chassis harness $750, pressure plate and clutch $400. Custom radiator and fan pack $400, etc,
$3,750

5mt Impreza trans $400, axles, starter, locking differential sleeve & rear block off plate $400, cable shifter & Suby shifter - $400 - $1,200

Doesn't have to be $10K. My "kit" is probably 95% complete for $3K.
+Quote Post
Zaffer
post Oct 18 2023, 08:10 PM
Post #15

My parents are on their second 6-cyl., only because the first was rear ended. I would prefer FI, but that comes with its own challenges.

So far, everyone is doing a good job of moving the needle towards a Subaru conversion.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Oct 18 2023, 08:44 PM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 18 2023, 07:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Zaffer @ Oct 18 2023, 07:34 PM) *

Any pics?

EG33 Engine - top end reseal, water pump, belts, gaskets, etc, $1,000, small car header $700, custom bulkhead engine mount $500, engine to chassis harness $750, pressure plate and clutch $400. Custom radiator and fan pack $400, etc,
$3,750

5mt Impreza trans $400, axles, starter, locking differential sleeve & rear block off plate $400, cable shifter & Suby shifter - $400 - $1,200

Doesn't have to be $10K. My "kit" is probably 95% complete for $3K.

Stellar deal, Mark! If mine wasn't almost there, I'd be all over this. GLWTS!
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Oct 18 2023, 08:45 PM
Post #17

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431

QUOTE(Zaffer @ Oct 18 2023, 07:10 PM) *

My parents are on their second 6-cyl., only because the first was rear ended. I would prefer FI, but that comes with its own challenges.

So far, everyone is doing a good job of moving the needle towards a Subaru conversion.

You have to cut the trunk to fit the turbo as is. You can move it but that is more fab work though I think there is a dune buggy style exhaust manifold that fits. Also a water-to-air intercooler and plumbing. Not enough good airflow for stock air-to-air.

Budget is more like $5-6k.

Too much power and you need more tire, which means flares and new wheels and paint and it just snowballs...
+Quote Post
Robarabian
post Oct 18 2023, 09:15 PM
Post #18

914 A Roo

Member No.: 22,865

You do not have to cut the trunk to have the turbo. I limited mine to 300 HP, and will take on about any 6 that is out there. Only the V-8's will probably smoke me. If I upgrade the trans, I'll bump to 350 and up the torque number.

My car is all over YouTube, when it only had 215 HP. it was a rocket then and it's even quicker now. 22 lbs boost. Go Subaru you won't regret it. Mine is an EJ 20 from a WRX 2004.

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Oct 18 2023, 07:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Zaffer @ Oct 18 2023, 07:10 PM) *

You have to cut the trunk to fit the turbo as is. You can move it but that is more fab work though I think there is a dune buggy style exhaust manifold that fits. Also a water-to-air intercooler and plumbing. Not enough good airflow for stock air-to-air.

Budget is more like $5-6k.

Too much power and you need more tire, which means flares and new wheels and paint and it just snowballs...

+Quote Post
930cabman
post Oct 19 2023, 04:56 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

22# of boost (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Does she have wings?
+Quote Post
mate914
post Oct 19 2023, 05:11 AM
Post #20

Matt

Member No.: 10,102

QUOTE(Zaffer @ Oct 18 2023, 10:10 PM) *

I don't care for them. I had a 2.0 and then a 2056cc in my 914 for over twenty years. The car was great but not fast. If you want a fast car why not just buy a Subi? I think you should be able to do what ever you want to your car. You want a subi in a 914, Im ok with that.

Matt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:01 AM