Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 1st Creamsicle #1, 1st Creamsicle #1
TonyA
post Nov 30 2023, 05:54 PM
Post #1

Nachmal

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,596
Region Association: North East States

I have been meaning to write this story for a year now, so here it goes. It may take awhile because I am a three to four finger typist. And thank god for spell check.

August 2022, I get a text message form Dion Ronin (Dion's endeavor) that there was a Creamsicle on the Hagerty website for sale at an auction in Main, at Owls Head Transportation Museum. Dion said you already have one you should look at this one. Most of the 914 MOB guys around here are always ribbing each other about crap and LE's are a topic they always pounce on me about.
So I look! Sure as shit there it was. Jeff Bowlsby posted that he saw this car back in 2005 in California and that it was sold to a guy in Vermont around that time. He also said that the advertised vin number is incorrect! The last two numbers are transposed making this the FIRST Ceamsicle produce and its on the registry as such. DAM I hope Sienfeld doesn't hear about this was one comment on 914world. Sooo off to Main I go telling my wife I am going to look at a job, which I always do when on the hunt for cars or parts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I arrive in Main and get a Sam Adams Boston Lager and a lobsta sandwich. Sitting by the dock of the bay watching the tide roll away the Tuesday night before inspection opens for the auction.
I looked at all the cars the next day, trying not to lust to much over the 914. I kept looking at adjacent cars every time someone would inspect the 914 to hear their comments. A few said lets bid up to $2500 because there is water in the trunk! I thought that was great, because its not leaking out and that's a good thing I said to myself. I inspected the car on my back crawling under as far as I could with nobody watching. WOW no rust, super clean suspension and a super exhaust system and it has the original holy grail front spoiler. Not a pretty car by no means but solid as they come and a LE and #1. I look at the engine and dam, its some kind of race engine and the serial number starts with RAT. Stupid me says to myself its not a Raby engine because that would be RAB and not RAT. I know I am and idiot. At the time. I was a little disappointed that it did not have the original engine, but more about that later.
I give my $100 deposit to bid via phone on Friday, we will call you don't call us they said. This was the Friday one week before Labor day weekend I think. On Friday all of the auto memorabilia was on the schedule and just 7 cars. So I don't get a call till 4:00. Sir please stay on the line for item # 453. Now by 4:00 in the afternoon most people are having their Sam Adams beers and a lobsta sandwich. So there were probably just two or three people bidding. So I kept saying yes,in $500 increments hoping that Sienfield wasn't one of the bidders. Not that he would stoop that low to buy something like this but you never know I kept thinking. Bam you got it states the person on the other end. YYAAAHHHOOOO . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I do the wire transfer on Monday and drive back up with my trailer and my two brothers on Tuesday. We pick it up and yes its running no need for the winch, holy crap. We start driving back home but its been a long day so we get a hotel. While sitting out back of the hotel having a few Sam Adams beers and looking through all the paperwork I find that the past owner was William Twigg Smith. I goggle his name and wow their family helped Hawaii get their independence from the royal government that they were under in the early 1900's. Bills father wrote a book about it called "Sovereignty" the truth of what really happened.
I also found all the receipts from Chris Foley/Tangerine Racing. Also all the notes and sketches on wiring etc by Ed Morrow who worked at tangerine racing at the time and who built the car for Bill Twigg Smith.

Ed got to drive in the car with me at this years NEG Northeast Gathering in the Pocono mountains (hills) of Pennsylvania.

Bill had passed in 2016 I think and was a recluse type billionaire who's family had extensive real estate in Hawaii and Vermont. There were also letters notes etc. between Bill and Jeff Bowlsby among the paperwork Jeff later sent me all the correspondence that he had with Bill back in 2005-2007. Thank you very much Jeff! Bill stated that he would never race the car and would not be going to shows because he is a very independent person. Bill wanted a strong car to drive the back roads and hills of Vermont. He would also never do anything that could not be easily reversed because it is an LE car. Among the other cars that were sold at the auction I later found out (28 in total) were from Bills collection. All at no reserve.
Three had raby engines one a concours winning 76 911 and one a Karmen Ghia.

So once we got the car home I contacted Chris Foley who got me in touch with the caretaker of Bills cars in Vermont. I asked the caretaker if he knew were the original engine was. His answer was I might. Soooo grab some cash and drive to Vermont. On my way to Vermont I stopped by at Tangerine racing to drop off some philly soft pretzels to Chris and talk about this car some more and its past owner. Once in Vermont at the caretakers shop there is the original engine in the same box that Chris Foley put it in when he shipped it 15 years ago.

Back to the car. Dion comes over and I had already cleaned out the gas tank and filled with fresh fuel and was getting ready to start the car. We started it up and it ran a little rough. We determined it was just a bad wire and a bad plug. Four new wires and four new plugs and its been running ever since.

Still looking for the manuals that go with the raby engine. I contacted the estate and they searched in Vermont and in Hawaii. No luck as yet.

Thanks to Dion Ronin, Jeff Bowlsby, Chris Foley and Ed Morrow for all their input on this great car.

Pictures to follow.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
TonyA   1st Creamsicle #1   Nov 30 2023, 05:54 PM
TonyA   I have been meaning to write this story for a yea...   Nov 30 2023, 06:12 PM
TonyA   Miles of smile picture taken by Ed Morrow. Thanks...   Nov 30 2023, 06:13 PM
ejm   Miles of smile picture taken by Ed Morrow. Thank...   Nov 30 2023, 08:10 PM
DennisV   Great story Tony.   Nov 30 2023, 06:18 PM
JeffBowlsby   CS #1 is in good hands Tony. You definitely score...   Nov 30 2023, 06:18 PM
krazykonrad   That is way cool! Keep those pics coming. :be...   Nov 30 2023, 06:34 PM
SirAndy   :cheer:   Nov 30 2023, 06:42 PM
BeatNavy   Thanks for sharing the story, Tony! Great fin...   Nov 30 2023, 06:45 PM
Dion   :beer2: Cheers buddy! Couldn’t have a better...   Nov 30 2023, 06:46 PM
StarBear   Love happy stories. Goes to show what a strong com...   Nov 30 2023, 07:18 PM
Maltese Falcon   Great backstory on your acquisition, and the right...   Nov 30 2023, 07:37 PM
mate914   About time Tony. Show the 914 world your gem. Mat...   Nov 30 2023, 07:58 PM
East coaster   Very cool   Nov 30 2023, 08:02 PM
FlacaProductions   Ahhh - fantastic! I remember when this car ori...   Nov 30 2023, 08:27 PM
infraredcalvin   Love it! Well done! Ongrats!   Nov 30 2023, 08:50 PM
bkrantz   Wow   Nov 30 2023, 08:58 PM
914-300Hemi   Congrats and great story   Nov 30 2023, 09:14 PM
TRS63   What a great story and what a cool car, well done...   Dec 1 2023, 12:22 AM
Porschef   Great story Tony, good luck with the car! :bee...   Dec 1 2023, 06:02 AM
DRPHIL914   Hey Tony!!! this is such an awesome st...   Dec 1 2023, 06:51 AM
TonyA   Hey Tony!!! this is such an awesome s...   Dec 1 2023, 08:11 AM
TJB/914   [quote name='DRPHIL914' post='3115500' date='Dec ...   Dec 1 2023, 11:11 AM
Cairo94507   What a terrific story; congratulations on your fin...   Dec 1 2023, 09:00 AM
jhynesrockmtn   Excellent story. Congrats!   Dec 1 2023, 09:49 AM
rgalla9146   Great guy, great story :trophy: Interesting...   Dec 1 2023, 10:46 AM
rjames   Damn, that is a great story. Amazing that you were...   Dec 1 2023, 10:47 AM
DC_neun_vierzehn   Awesome story. Thanks for sharing. Good luck.   Dec 1 2023, 03:37 PM
wonkipop   nice write up @TonyA ........and nice car to ge...   Dec 1 2023, 04:33 PM
JeffBowlsby   out of interest @[url=http://www.914world.com/b...   Dec 2 2023, 10:14 AM
mepstein   As I told Tony, I like the fact that when he found...   Dec 1 2023, 05:32 PM
OrangeBones   Tony let me drive #1 home from the NEG when my con...   Dec 1 2023, 06:09 PM
TonyA   Tony let me drive #1 home from the NEG when my co...   Dec 1 2023, 10:17 PM
Unpretentious   Tony, What a great story! I have one of my ow...   Dec 1 2023, 10:00 PM
TonyA   Nice. Every car has story of some sort.   Dec 1 2023, 10:08 PM
dr914@autoatlanta.com   Congrats, certainly in good hands now! Jeff h...   Dec 2 2023, 10:36 AM
buck toenges   Congrats, certainly in good hands now! Jeff ...   Dec 3 2023, 12:48 PM
SirAndy   It is amazing how the blk ones look so much wider...   Dec 3 2023, 06:05 PM
Jett   Great story! I am glad that this car found th...   Dec 2 2023, 10:42 AM
TonyA   I have been meaning to write this story for a yea...   Dec 8 2023, 11:13 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 01:48 PM